Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 1st, 2024, 2:40am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tour de Cure (Read 1914 times)
freakflyer9999

Tour de Cure
Mar 7th, 2012, 6:23pm

I am riding in the Tour de Cure event sponsored by the American Diabetes Association on July 28, 2012.

Come ride the Texas Motor Speedway with me.  For info on participating http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=8053  

I'd love to see an rbent team.  

In order to participate each rider must also commit to raising funds.  For info on sponsoring me for the ride.  https://donations.diabetes.org/site/TRAPIPreview?page_type=fr_personal&fr_id =8053

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Tour de Cure
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2012, 9:25pm

You should contact dd5339 here, as he is also doing TdC.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2012, 4:14pm

Bumping to the top, Tour D' Cure is getting closer!

Come on out and help us put a stop to Diabetes!  If you think, I'd bet anyone here that they personally know someone affected by this disease.

We need as much help as we can get to stop this disease.  Whether you'd like to ride or you would like to sponsor a rider, every last bit of help is greatly appreciated.

Should you wish, my sponsorship link is HERE.

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2012, 4:44pm

And here is something that I posted on my Facebook page today explaining my participation in Tour De Cure.

As most of my friends and family know by now I have been fighting diabetes and obesity for a large portion of my life. The good news is that both are well under control.  

I have reduced my A1C lab result (a measure of sugar in the blood over time) from a high of 11 to just above 5. This is now in the "normal" range and I no longer take any medication for diabetes.

I have also undergone gastric bypass surgery to aid in my weight loss. Along with the eating changes that the surgery has prompted, I have begun exercising significantly more than ever before in my life. The result is that I have lost 98 lbs since I first started the process to have this surgery.

Exercise has become an important part of my life and my favorite is cycling. As some of you know, I don't ride just a plain ole bike, but have a recumbent trike as well as a 2 wheel recumbent bike. Yesterday on my 2 wheel recumbent I accomplished a personal best of 57.55 miles in 1 day (even if I did split it into 2 seperate rides).

In order to raise funds for continued diabetes research and to raise awareness of this hideous disease, I have committed to riding in the upcoming Tour De Cure on July 28th at Texas Motor Speedway. I will attempt to ride the 100 kilometer course at the Tour De Cure and have full faith that my renewed health will allow me to easily accomplish this goal.

I also committed to another goal and that is in addition to my entry fee for the tour, to raise a minimum of $150 to aid in diabetes research. I am currently at $90 and would like to ask each of you to consider sponsoring me on this journey with a few dollars. Any donation large or small will be appreciated.  

Thank you.

Donate Here

« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2012, 4:45pm by freakflyer9999 »  

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2012, 5:53pm

Quote from freakflyer9999 on Mar 7th, 2012, 6:23pm:
I am riding in the Tour de Cure event sponsored by the American Diabetes Association on July 28, 2012.

Come ride the Texas Motor Speedway with me.  For info on participating http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=8053  

I'd love to see an rbent team.  

In order to participate each rider must also commit to raising funds.  For info on sponsoring me for the ride.  https://donations.diabetes.org/site/TRAPIPreview?page_type=fr_personal&fr_id =8053

It's going to be a lot of fun even if you don't have the legs to do a long ride, you get to ride on the TMS race track  Smiley Raising funds for this cause isn't very hard to do if you just ask for the help. I talked to a fellow a few days ago while I was at Performance Cycling on Hulen, he even had nice business cards he handed out to people. To spark the conversation he was wearing an event t shirt from a previous year.  
I hope to see some more of our bent jerseys at the event.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2012, 9:21pm

Thanks to LightningPilot for the donation.  I appreciate your support.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2012, 9:57pm

Quote from freakflyer9999 on Jul 2nd, 2012, 4:44pm:
from a high of 11 to just above 5. This is now in the "normal" range and I no longer take any medication for diabetes.

I will attempt to ride the 100 kilometer course at the Tour De Cure and have full faith that my renewed health will allow me to easily accomplish this goal.

Just above 5!  That is a fantastic A1C!  Way to go!  I'm still tooling along above 6.5 on mine despite having dropped 70+ pounds.

And don't worry about the 100k distance, I've signed up for it also, we can team up!

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:26am

Thank you to my friends and family. Due to your generosity, I not only met my fund raising goal of $150 for the Tour De Cure, but blew it away. I have now raised over $200 for this great cause.  

I'm inching closer to that 100 lbs lost mark with a total of 99 lbs today.

Of course anyone who still wishes to donate may do so.  

Thanks again for your support.

DONATE HERE

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:55am

Smiley Way to go  Smiley keep it up and congrats on reaching and passing your fund goal. I hope it's a banner year for total funds raised. Let's beat this disease  Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2012, 8:36pm

Hey, I'll be there too! I signed up to ride on Team Red, so I'll be visible as someone with diabetes. My normal rides are only 20 miles long - last weeks ride with Aikigreg and company was a 41 miler for me, longest ride of the season for me. I decided to be bold, and signed up for the 100k ride, and will be training hard to do the distance. It's a lot of ramp up to get to in 3 weeks, but I'm going to give it a try.

It will be good to see a few bents there. Too bad I'll be wearing a regular bike helmet instead of my usual pith helmet with speakers  Sad  How will anyone recognize me as me? Dang, I'll have to shop for a doo rag to protect the old flat top landing strip! Looks like it's a well organized ride with lots of support. Come join us on the ride!

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
jdviz

Mushashi Rider &
Sloshbuckler

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2012, 1:05pm

Me and my two upright tag-alongs will be there. Just got registered today.

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2012, 1:05pm by jdviz »  

JD-
Musashi Rider
www.sloshbucklers.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print