Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:26pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HOT Rally in Austin (Read 5287 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

HOT Rally in Austin
Mar 4th, 2012, 9:53am

Nice time in Austin, with excellent riding on Hwy 130 as promised... About a dozen from the DFW area attended!!!  I'd guess about 45-50 overall in attendance... including Dave and I, Lynn, Larry, Eddie, Dianna, Patti and husband, Bob and Kathy, Frank B, Shelley, a couple of women from Garland, and I'm sure I've forgotten somebody else...   It was good to meet Bryan Ball, although he didn't get to do the long ride due to having to review a trike...

About 10 of us did the long ride, with everyone else opting for the shorter park trail ride.  The ride down 130 southbound was fast, with a 20mph tailwind...  A friendly highway patrol officer pulled off to talk to us, saying a lot of drivers were calling in about the "dangerous bicyclists on the highway" -- but he had no problem with it, because it was legal and we were obviously keeping to the (wide) shoulder...  it was a pretty funny conversation, actually.

The ride back UP was tough stuff, both into the wind and generally uphill.  Once we got to the exit, Dave and I decided to do bonus miles, just to have some tailwind at the end of the ride - so we went another 5 miles north, then flew back down.  Click on the picture for a video...

Lunch was in the center where the shop was, where Mike had rented out extra space.  Bryan gave a talk, then, Mike talked about maintenance stuff and some unusual retail items he sells.

Dave and I were staying at his son's house, and we decided to go have dinner with them instead of waiting till 7:30 with the rest of the recumbent gang -- and after that, we returned to Dallas, skipping Sunday's festivities.

RAT rider on the Morciglio...

My pics from the long ride and the shop are here:   http://photobucket.com/HOTRally2012PB

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2012, 2:46pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: HOT Rally in Austin
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2012, 2:06pm

A few notes here about the HOT.

There were over 60 in attendance -- but it was hard to get all of them together at ONCE.  Some were there one day, some the next. But over 60 officially were registered.  

This was our first full blown recumbent event of this nature. We chose not to make it a "Ride" because they are dime a dozen. We wanted it to be a recumbent gathering so we could actually meet other riders (instead of riding and going home and not meeting ANYBODY like the usual "ride").  We wanted it to be a social, learning, and riding event all combined into one. I hope we achieved that.  

I am the event planner. so I would greatly appreciate your feedback -- good and bad.  I think you who attended all have my email. Drop me a a line and give me your two cents worth.

If the response is good, I feel 99% sure the Second Annual Heart of Texas Recumbent Rally planning will be getting underway soon. If I missed the mark though, I want to know.

Thanks SO MUCH to the FANTASTIC Rbent group. I am SO JEALOUS  (I live in the Houston area) of what y'all have developed there. Way to go!

p.s. Goodness I am so sorry the cop stopped y'all. I am at least glad he was not a Billy Bad A**!

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
Terra Trike Tandem Pro IPS
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2012, 7:39pm

Quote from texpug on Mar 5th, 2012, 2:06pm:

p.s. Goodness I am so sorry the cop stopped y'all. I am at least glad he was not a Billy Bad A**!

No worries, there were no issues with him whatsoever!!!  He was pretty amused that we would be out there, and agreed that it was perfectly legal...  It was a very friendly conversation.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2012, 8:34pm

Nice write up and pictures!  I'm glad you had fun despite the less than perfect weather.  Maybe next time if we ride the tollway we'll go North first regardless of wind direction!  Ha ha!

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2012, 5:47pm

Eddie Dragna shot a video that really showed the Scenic ride nan Captol ride GREAT! I loved watching it because I was not able to do the rides. WHAT FUN. And how cool is it seeing a Velomobile and tandem rolling right in there with everyone!!! THANKS EDDIE!!!!!

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
Terra Trike Tandem Pro IPS
  IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2012, 5:54pm

I really enjoyed meeting and seeing everyone this past weekend.  Great trail and I enjoyed the ride to the Capitol on Sunday.  Now to find out where Eddie posted that video.

IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2012, 8:28pm

Quote from texpug on Mar 6th, 2012, 5:47pm:
Eddie Dragna shot a video that really showed the Scenic ride nan Captol ride GREAT! I loved watching it because I was not able to do the rides. WHAT FUN. And how cool is it seeing a Velomobile and tandem rolling right in there with everyone!!! THANKS EDDIE!!!!!

Where did Eddie post it, Jane??

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2012, 9:32am

Here's the video for those who are interested.  It's quite long (30+ mins) so be warned if you're on a slow internet connection!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/VwbyrTWCJHs

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2012, 11:24am

Quote from shellbear on Mar 7th, 2012, 9:32am:
Here's the video for those who are interested.  It's quite long (30+ mins) so be warned if you're on a slow internet connection!

Nice video, Eddie. That velomobile looked like it accelerated pretty fast from a stop. Did it have electric assist?

Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2012, 12:39pm

Quote from jayg on Mar 7th, 2012, 11:24am:
Quote from shellbear on Mar 7th, 2012, 9:32am:

Nice video, Eddie. That velomobile looked like it accelerated pretty fast from a stop. Did it have electric assist?

No assist, Jay, but the dude inside is 6'3" with shoulders 24" across.  He barely fits in there.  Smiley

IP Logged
Urbinrider

rbent member

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2012, 7:38pm

hello everyone I had a great time at the rally and enjoyed meeting some of you that I have heard of on this web site I don't log on a lot so I am behind Jay where were you???? Like Shelly said the motor is in his legs (the velomobile)  sorry about not posting the my video myself I didn't think the quality of it wasn't to good and wanted to let Steve get his out there  First. I didn't know I was going to take so much.  but I am glad you all like it. and Paul I like the video of you all going on the speed run I wanted to do it myself but I realize I can't ride that fast so I have to feel the experience through your video.  
Eddie (urbinrider)

Easy Racer Tour Easy got to love it
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2012, 8:41pm

Quote from urbinrider on Mar 11th, 2012, 7:38pm:
hello everyone I had a great time at the rally and enjoyed meeting some of you that I have heard of on this web site I don't log on a lot so I am behind Jay where were you???? Like Shelly said the motor is in his legs (the velomobile)  sorry about not posting the my video myself I didn't think the quality of it wasn't to good and wanted to let Steve get his out there  First. I didn't know I was going to take so much.  but I am glad you all like it. and Paul I like the video of you all going on the speed run I wanted to do it myself but I realize I can't ride that fast so I have to feel the experience through your video.
Eddie (urbinrider)

Eddie, I was in Dallas, nursing my wounds, during HOT. Looks like y'all had fun. That wide concrete path in Austin looked great. Even though I've lived in Texas nearly all my life, I've never seen the Capitol Building up close. So, now I have, after viewing your video. Thanks. Was that Rick Perry's black Cadillac parked illegally in front of the building?  Cheesy Will we be seeing you and Dianna at Ride Ataxia and/or Tour Dallas?  

Email   IP Logged
airmoose

rbent member

Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2012, 6:00pm

Quote from shellbear on Mar 7th, 2012, 12:39pm:

No assist, Jay, but the dude inside is 6'3" with shoulders 24" across.  He barely fits in there.  Smiley

You exaggerate a little - my shoulders are only 23" across (the max width to fit in a Quest at my height by the way). I do weigh about 240lbs as well, so it may make the fit look worse than it really is. Although I just fit inside, the fit is extremely comfortable - I don't really want to get out once I stop.

The best way I've found to work on acceleration is to drag race cars from every stoplight. I can (just) beat most cars across a normal width intersection. The amazing thing is that in a velomobile that acceleration is also amazingly effective at higher speeds when looking to drop DF riders. The aerodynamics of the Quest lower the overall power demand so much that you end up having a larger reserve of power at a normal DF high speed.

Long uphills are an entirely different story, I just hang on the best I can until the top.

Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #13 - Mar 14th, 2012, 8:10pm

Quote from airmoose on Mar 14th, 2012, 6:00pm:
Quote from shellbear on Mar 7th, 2012, 12:39pm:

You exaggerate a little - my shoulders are only 23" across (the max width to fit in a Quest at my height by the way). I do weigh about 240lbs as well, so it may make the fit look worse than it really is. Although I just fit inside, the fit is extremely comfortable - I don't really want to get out once I stop.

The best way I've found to work on acceleration is to drag race cars from every stoplight. I can (just) beat most cars across a normal width intersection. The amazing thing is that in a velomobile that acceleration is also amazingly effective at higher speeds when looking to drop DF riders. The aerodynamics of the Quest lower the overall power demand so much that you end up having a larger reserve of power at a normal DF high speed.

Long uphills are an entirely different story, I just hang on the best I can until the top.

There's the Moose!  Smiley  Sorry for the extra inch, apparently I didn't remember well.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print