Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 30th, 2024, 3:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tour Dallas (Read 6255 times)
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Tour Dallas
Feb 27th, 2012, 1:31pm

I have to trailer the bikes and I have no idea what to do with the trailer once I'm there.  I doubt they'll let me park it downtown.  Does anyone know of a place to park that's not too far so we can ride to the start?

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Re: Tour Dallas
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2012, 1:51pm

We live in Oak Cliff about five miles from the start and ride over for that.  You're welcome to park here and ride over with us.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2012, 4:49pm

That reduces the stress factor considerably.  I'll probably need to get a rack for the trikes eventually.  Guess I'll just send you a PM that week and get your address if that's okay.  Thanks so much for the offer!

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2012, 9:35pm

Quote from Hurricane Dan on Feb 27th, 2012, 1:31pm:
I have to trailer the bikes and I have no idea what to do with the trailer once I'm there.  I doubt they'll let me park it downtown.  Does anyone know of a place to park that's not too far so we can ride to the start?

There is plenty of pay parking on the south side of the street behind the City Hall building (The ride starts on the street in front of the building). You would have to pay for two spaces of course.

Email   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2012, 6:45am

That was one consideration. Do you remember how much the parking costs?

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2012, 8:22am

Quote from Hurricane Dan on Feb 28th, 2012, 6:45am:
That was one consideration. Do you remember how much the parking costs?

The parking lot companies raise the fees on weekends. I believe I have paid somewhere between 5 and 7 dollars in the past.

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Feb 29th, 2012, 9:33am

There is a lot of parking downtown, just a short ride from the Tour start.. There is parking in the West End, along Houston Street and under Woodall Rogers. There is also parking at the old Reunion Arena lots. I live in Oak Cliff too, in the Kidd Springs-Bishop Arts area. Very easy ride to downtown. Maybe we can meet up and ride together.

IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2012, 7:27am

I just registered for the Tour Dallas.  

I think I'm going to attempt it on my (new to me) Terratrike Cruiser.  Hope to get to meet some of the folks here.   Smiley  

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2012, 8:25pm

I just registered too!  Can't wait to Tour Dallas on my Musashi.  Smiley  I've heard this ride is a lot of fun but this will be the first time I've done it.

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2012, 4:56pm

It can be fun, but there are plenty of potholes and road hazards (road joints, trolley tracks, etc.) too.  And the occasional noodge at the lake who objects to our using his personal park.  Not for a time-trialer.  Bring your conversational persona.  Pizza at the end.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2012, 4:58pm

Quote from rmillay on Mar 7th, 2012, 4:56pm:
It can be fun, but there are plenty of potholes and road hazards (road joints, trolley tracks, etc.) too.  And the occasional noodge at the lake who objects to our using his personal park.  Not for a time-trialer.  Bring your conversational persona.  Pizza at the end.

Sounds good to me!  Smiley

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2012, 7:22pm

The biggest road hazard is all the people. That is why I will not be in attendance even though this was my introduction to pay rides several years ago. Have fun!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2012, 9:10pm

The pizza is hot, plentiful, and delicious.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jdviz

Mushashi Rider &
Sloshbuckler

Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2012, 10:39am

The start for this is right outside our living room window. If work permits, we'll be attending.

Ahh, the life of the startup company...

JD-
Musashi Rider
www.sloshbucklers.com
WWW   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2012, 11:09am

I love this ride and enjoy doing it every year. Clearly not a ride for someone trying to achieve their "personal best" time (although there are always some who appear to be trying, regardless. Or maybe they are just trying to get back to the pizza first...) Definitely some hazards to watch for, especially early on, during the start and as the mass is crossing the bridge to Oak Cliff. If you are riding a bike, that is probably the most high risk period. If you are on a trike, the biggest hazards are the potholes and falling cyclists. The worst thing that has ever happened to me was a cyclist who cut me off on a steep climb, causing me to stall in the wrong chainring. Actually turned out to be a good thing because thats how I discovered my boom was slipping.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print