Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Houston Randonneurs Brookshire-Burton-Carlos 300k (Read 1273 times)
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Houston Randonneurs Brookshire-Burton-Carlos 300k
Feb 5th, 2012, 8:19pm

193.9 miles, 6204 ft of climbing, 14.3 avg on my CA2, Saturday, 4-FEB-2012

Tough ride! hard, cold, rain in the first few miles, the last few miles, and the middle few miles. Very tough north wind and colder temps than forecast with lots of rolling hills made the first 117 miles a real beating, with a 14.0 moving avg for that distance. The final 77 miles consisted of more tough rollers, making it slow at times, even with the strong tail wind. We did, ultimately improve on the average, though, with a few miles at the end, of straight south (but wet) flat riding with a very nice tail wind. It was a very challenging ride, made so by the slashing rain for some of the ride and very stiff headwinds for most of the ride.

All day on Friday, I kept a close watch on the deteriorating weather forecast for Saturday. The thought crossed my mind, more than once, that this would be a good ride to bail out of! But I resisted the temptation and I picked up Sharon and we drove down to Brookshire Friday evening.  Saturday morning, as we are getting ready, we hear thunder. I look out the 2nd floor window and the palm trees are straining against the wind as the rain pounds against the window and slashes down nearly horizontally. It's a grim scene. I tell Sharon I might have to bail even before we start (but I know in my heart, that will not happen). An hour later, as we drive over to the La Quinta (where the ride starts) the rain is just pissing down and the wind has not let up. I tell Sharon how stupid this is to be going out for nearly 200 miles in these conditions. Having said that, I park at the La Quinta, we unload the van, and start getting ready.  

It is at the day's high temperature, at ride start. The temperature fell for most of the day, although it did rise during a dry spell in early afternoon, but not as high as 56°, the morning start temperature. It did not rain all day. We started out (delayed start, to let the heaviest rain pass) in moderately heavy rain, but it tapered to light rain within a few miles and by mile 22, we were on dry pavement. Our dry riding, with sporadic spritzes of rain for the next few miles, was good riding - the only fly in the ointment was the brutal headwind and steep rollers, as we rode right against the wind. To illustrate, at our first official stop, in Burton, 57 miles in, we had an eleven mph average, which encompassed, besides the starting rain storm, a few more miles of rain and falling temperature into the upper 40s! We worked hard, but the conditions were harder. The next 60 miles, to Carlos, encompassed several miles of wet road, which slowed us down to avoid any slippage on unseen clay mud.  

The temperature was going up now and I was able to get down to a jersey and arm warmers, top, and rain legs over my shorts and leg warmers, bottom. I also wore gortex socks over my wool socks, and shoe covers over it all. My feet stayed dry and warm - that was the result I was after! In fact, all of me stayed dry and warm in the important places, for the entire ride.  We had another dry spell from about Navasota, north to Carlos, and then straight south back to Brookshire. But, while it seemed the rain was over, we had enough additional light rain with 35 miles left, to stop and wrestle into our rain jackets (with the wind trying to whip the clothing out of control) get the hoods up over the helmets, and keep the rain from finding its way down inside the clothing. Just as we did that, the rain stopped, but it was dark and cold and windy. The additional warmth did not hurt at that moment and we didn't change anything. About 15 miles from the end, it was sprinkling again, and gradually the rain increased in intensity and I was glad I had my full complement of rain gear on. It did keep me comfortable. All in all, while I had extreme trepidation about how it would go, it mostly was as routine as could be under the circumstances as the clothing I brought was perfectly adequate for the changing conditions we endured throughout the ride.

This bit is in addition to my original post. Sharon thought I should add it on for any of you who know Dennis Cook. Dennis used to ride with LSR when he lived in San Angelo. Three or four years ago he moved to College Station and starting riding with Houston Randonneurs and volunteering for them. This was probably a last minute decision on Dennis' part, but he decided to help out on this ride, by running sag support, free of charge. On this particular ride, there are only 2 mid-ride controls - Burton after 57 miles and Carlos after 60 additional miles. From Carlos back to the start point, it is 75 miles with only one city along the way, Prairie View, and that is only 25 miles from Brookshire. Dennis was able to carry extra clothing not needed at times and allow riders to pick up extra clothing as night fell. I did not need to use this service but many riders, including Sharon, did, and it saved her butt! Dennis also carried some home made cookies provided by Janet and some brownies. I don't know who provided the brownies, but they were very good. Dennis also had water for us at Burton. Each of us in our group donated $5 apiece to Dennis just as a show of appreciation. This is a ride where inclement weather and long stretches between towns really begs sag support - so the support provided really hit the spot!

« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2012, 2:20pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Houston Randonneurs Brookshire-Burton-Carlos 3
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2012, 8:11am

Quote from square_corners on Feb 5th, 2012, 8:19pm:
An hour later, as we drive over to the La Quinta (where the ride starts) the rain is just pissing down and the wind has not let up. I tell Sharon how stupid this is to be going out for nearly 200 miles in these conditions. Having said that, I park at the La Quinta, we unload the van, and start getting ready.

Grin Smiley Smiley Smiley

I remember riding with Dennis - very nice of him to do this for you folks!!!

With all these headwind rides, when is Sharon going to come over to the 'bent side of things???  She should be ripe for it, by now....

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2012, 8:13am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Houston Randonneurs Brookshire-Burton-Carlos 3
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2012, 10:40pm

Well, Paul, if she hasn't switched by now, I highly doubt she ever will. Logistics is the problem - her car is too small to carry a recumbent inside (and that's the only way - no exterior bike rack will work for her) and her condo is an upstairs flat with an outside staircase and no garage - very impractical. I can't accomodate one for her, either, because I live too far from her, have no room, and carrying 2 recumbents in my van is not practical. I don't think it will ever happen - she is committed to her road bikes. But don't think I've never tried to get her to switch - I have. She's stubborn! What else can I say!

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print