Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 29th, 2024, 1:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for summer plans? (Read 3299 times)
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Looking for summer plans?
Feb 4th, 2012, 5:47pm

For a few years now I've wanted to do some touring.  I have also wanted to do a cross state ride.  Looks like this year may be the year.  Wife gave me the go ahead to do the Oklahoma Freewheel.  http://www.okfreewheel.com/

A few non-cycling people I have told about it have said "uh.... but it is Oklahoma".  I'm really excited about it - but then I'm weird.  I mean - not only do I ride a bike..... on purpose... it isn't even a real bike - it is one of those "recumbents" for "special people" as my wife says.  Yeah - people that can ride all day long even across a state but I'm preaching to the choir.  Anyway on the ride they provide a place to camp, haul your gear, route map, showers each night etc.  For food you are on your own but what do you expect for around $200 for a week of riding.  Anyway - if any one is interested or planning on going as well let me know maybe we can get together.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Re: Looking for summer plans?
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2012, 8:08pm

Quote from TonyWard on Feb 4th, 2012, 5:47pm:
For a few years now I've wanted to do some touring.  I have also wanted to do a cross state ride.  Looks like this year may be the year.  Wife gave me the go ahead to do the Oklahoma Freewheel.  http://www.okfreewheel.com/

A few non-cycling people I have told about it have said "uh.... but it is Oklahoma".  I'm really excited about it - but then I'm weird.  I mean - not only do I ride a bike..... on purpose... it isn't even a real bike - it is one of those "recumbents" for "special people" as my wife says.  Yeah - people that can ride all day long even across a state but I'm preaching to the choir.  Anyway on the ride they provide a place to camp, haul your gear, route map, showers each night etc.  For food you are on your own but what do you expect for around $200 for a week of riding.  Anyway - if any one is interested or planning on going as well let me know maybe we can get together.  

I was thinking about the same thing.....tell me more....maybe we can talk Jay into it as well..... Smiley

Ric Clark

I will persist until I succeed...

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2012, 9:42pm

I'm not sure I have been successful in getting Jay interested about it.  Maybe someone else would have better luck.  You can read more about it here as well:  http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=183097&v=8i

This guy is a recumbent rider from Houston and this was his write up about it.  Him and a couple others rode from the Houston area to the start that was in Durant last year then did the Freewheel to Kansas.  I contacted him this afternoon through CGOAB to see if he is going again this year and get any tips/advice for fellow bent riders.  

This year the start is about 60 miles from Wichita Falls and the ride runs from 6/9 - 6/16. Not sure what else to tell you about it.  Carolyn has been at least once.  She said to make sure your tent has  a good rain fly.

Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2012, 12:20am

There's also the Tour du Rouge in Louisiana early May

http://tourdurouge.org/

IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2012, 7:46am

Yeah - there are quite a few cross state rides.  Most popular is RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa).  Also BAK (Bike Across Kansas - my birth state), BRAN (Nebraska) etc.  I'm thinking these are a perfect way to help accomplish my bucketlist goal of riding across all 50 states.

Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2012, 11:02am

Tony, I hope you take something like a GoPro HD camera with you, so the rest of us can celebrate with you.  Cheesy

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
artcat

rbent member

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2012, 9:24pm

I have done it and I concur with Carolyn.  It rained hard every night.  I was fortunate because I was with people who had a popup camper so we were not on the ground.  Every morning we watched people carry their dripping sleeping bags to the sag truck.  But the ride was beautiful and dry and sunny during the day.

Green Musashi
Bachetta Corsa SS
Black Catrike 700
  IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2012, 10:06am

Well, signed up yesterday for the OK FreeWheel. I"ve done this ride before and you've not lived until you've been through tornado warnings on this ride.  However, I've seen rain during the days on this ride, but it's always nice and fun.  This year they are limiting the ride to 850 instead of the 3,000 that it used to accomodate.  Tony, I would also suggest the GABA ride across Arizona.  It's beautiful but does have some climbing involved.

IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2012, 4:33pm

Well Tony, I am in if you are in.......what say ye??? Smiley

Ric Clark

I will persist until I succeed...

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2012, 6:55pm

Quote from Ric_Clark on Feb 19th, 2012, 4:33pm:

Well Tony, I am in if you are in.......what say ye??? Smiley

Then sign up - I already signed up last weekend.  I also signed up for the $50 shuttle from South Haven, KS back to Frederick, OK.

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2012, 8:20pm

Hey Ric - read your pm's before you register.

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2012, 7:42am

Bump

I traded emails with a friend of Kenny's that is going on a bent as well.  Anyone else signed up besides DiannaLightning?

Ric - you still in?

Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Apr 18th, 2012, 3:59pm

Tony, just to let you know, I am still planning on doing Free Wheel. A friend on a Giro 20 is coming in from Lousiana to do the ride and a couple that I ride with all of the time on a recumbent tandem are plannning on doing the ride as well.  I've done this ride twice and I've only had rain maybe 2 days of the week.  Maybe we're just lucky, but I don't remember it raining at night on us in previous years very much.  We did spend one night in a manger (fair ground stock barn) to get out of the rain but that was fun.  I'd much rather have the rain at night than to have to ride in the rain all day like I've done several times on RAGBRAI.  Remain optimestic. The couple on the tandem have done RAGBRAI over 20 times so you can find out all you ever wanted to know about that ride from them. The friend from Lousiana has done BAK, so you will have another resource for information for future trips. I'll send you a PM with my email address should you have more questions.

Dianna

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print