Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 9th, 2024, 4:27am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
700 wheels (Read 1604 times)
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

700 wheels
Nov 12th, 2011, 12:30pm

I've been reseaching trikes...just for fun. I'm glad I don't have a welder or even a place to do so. I see so many configurations of wheel sizes I asked the question.  Why not a trike with all 26 or 700 wheels. A builder could bent the fame or have a suspension like old t hot rods or indy style cars. Just a question for fun and I'm really bored.  

Email   IP Logged
Tom Nuchols

rbent member

Re: 700 wheels
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2011, 4:08pm

I 've got the welder, but I don't know a thing about trikes.   I think some one with a good cad program or a good drawing board and  
and drawing tools can do this.
Tom Nuchols

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2011, 11:35pm

Quote from johnnybent on Nov 12th, 2011, 12:30pm:
I've been reseaching trikes...just for fun. I'm glad I don't have a welder or even a place to do so. I see so many configurations of wheel sizes I asked the question.  Why not a trike with all 26 or 700 wheels. A builder could bent the fame or have a suspension like old t hot rods or indy style cars. Just a question for fun and I'm really bored.  

See the Deltarunner and Tricruiser big wheel trikes here: http://www.atomiczombie.com/main.aspx?click=plans

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2011, 4:23pm

After looking at those two trike designs - I think I figured out the answer.  No one makes them because they are ugly.  Anyone good at fiberglass?  Cover up those trikes with a nice fiberglass shell and now you are talking!!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2011, 2:33pm

There is some practical justification.  Bigger steering wheels just complicate the steering geometry and design, as well as adding weight and aerodynamic drag.  Smaller wheels may add roughness to the ride and lower the top speed, but fat tires or other suspension will help the ride, and speed is not important to everybody.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2011, 10:08am

From the standpoint of a tadpole....
Larger diameter front wheels reduce the turn-in clearance to the rider; going from 20" to 26" takes about 1/3 more travel through the turning arc.  The track width could be widened to accomodate that with the penalty of higher weight.

There would be an increase in rotary inertia.  Not a significant amount but I suspect its enough that it could be felt.

Tadpole design adds a bit of complexity to geometry....still not as complex as proper 4 wheel geometry.

Scrub radius for example.  To minimize brake steer requires a zero scrub radius.  Imagine a line drawn through the center of the kingpin axis to the ground, at the ground mark that point "A".  Where the tire contacts the ground is point "B".  Zero scrub radius is when these two points are the same.  Taller or shorter tires will move point "A".

Granted the kingpin axis can be matched to the tires (and is on Catrikes) but thats only one of the geometry parameters for an example.

Suspension systems add a whole new dimension of wizardry.  In selecting a trike RBM had a great variety including the Scorpion FX.  Really cool unit with McPherson struts on the front.  It took about 5 minutes to realize front suspension simply nullifies response along with the bumps.  I prefered the bumps.  

Also tested the Catrike Speed, 700, and Expedition (bought the Expedition).   The Speed with 16" fronts felt the most nimble and responsive.  The 700 was a close second although the 700 wheel in the rear seemed to have more flex on turn-in with a slight rebound lateral on turn exit.  The Expedition with 20" fronts and 26" rear also has a higher center of gravity; that gave it a more crisp turn in at the expense of less reserve at the limit.  With both the Speed and 700 as the front grip limits were approaching there was an obvious notification to the rider....and that was the first time I've ever ridden a trike.....The Expedtion also gave notice but at a much lower margin of reserve.

At this point I can't se any advantages to increasing front rim size beyond 20", but I could be wrong.

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2011, 5:23pm

Well..after looking over the zombie site, tony was right...B.U.   I'm sure cattrike and others have attempted this model of all 700 wheels and found short comings with it.  Gotta always think...what if i try this.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2011, 6:37pm

Quote from johnnybent on Nov 20th, 2011, 5:23pm:
Well..after looking over the zombie site, tony was right...B.U.   I'm sure cattrike and others have attempted this model of all 700 wheels and found short comings with it.  Gotta always think...what if i try this.

I think you should go for it. I'll lend you my welder and metal-working tools. Bring it out to WRL when you finish it. We need a good laugh.   Grin

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print