Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:23pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
October RBENT gathering I (Read 608 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

October RBENT gathering I
Oct 16th, 2011, 3:02pm

Had six riders start out from Preston-Forest for the long version -- DaveR, JohnF, RichR, LynnM, Larry, and myself...  was a bit chilly to begin with, so we all had jackets or sleeves on.  We rode out Northaven to Denton Tap, then Valley View to Luna, then across BeltLine to the BPlus, arriving around 8:40.  

GregG was the only rider there -- we took a short bathroom break at the Kolache Bakery, then the 7 of us headed to the airport.  

Once we got to the Shell station, we stopped briefly and made a group decision to just all do the airport loop together, since we were all roughly matched for speed and endurance.

We went out Esters, then cut down Belt Line, rediscovering what a crappy road it is right there...  ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump every 20 feet...  Then we turned right onto Valley View for the two-mile climb to Walnut Hill, then everybody turned right to do at least part of the Tower Loop.  Some of the folks only went halfway and U-turned, but we all got caught up again by the time we hit the south end.  

Then Larry decided to get frisky, and he, Dave, and Greg took off up the west side, leaving the rest of us to chase (or not).  Lynn and I were a bit behind, and John and Rich were bringing up the rear.  Once Lynn and I reached the north end, we saw what looked like a lowrider riding beside Greg, up ahead -- I sped up, and caught them on the approach to the Shell station, and sure enough, it was Mark...

We had a brief break at the Shell, and the regular GDB group pulled in just before we took off again.  We went back the way we came, out Freeport and BeltLine, then took a detour past the CFB football stadium, where we discovered a marching band contest -- so we cruised through the parking lot, checking it out...  We have some ex-high-school musicians in the group (including me)...

The rest of the ride was fairly uneventful, and we got back to the parking lot about 12:15, just as the GDB group was pulling in, once again -- so some of us joined up for lunch at Scotty P's.

Very nice day, very nice ride, 57 miles total.  Let's do it again on Oct 29th!

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2011, 3:29pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: October RBENT gathering I
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2011, 3:27pm

I forgot about the high school detour...waiting for a band director running out to chase us away while we were distracting the band. Yes, band was fun.

Email   IP Logged
jdviz

Mushashi Rider &
Sloshbuckler

Re: October RBENT gathering I
Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2011, 4:00pm

Looks like fun! Can't wait to join y'all next time. I've been wanting to learn the DFW airport route.

JD-
Musashi Rider
www.sloshbucklers.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print