Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 6:28pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tire / Tube Puzzle (Read 757 times)
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Tire / Tube Puzzle
Sep 30th, 2011, 2:41pm

I bought new Durano tires for my Cat (28 406) and bought the recommended size tube (20x 1 1/8) to go with them. The tubes are very difficult to use as they seem so much bigger than the rim. No matter how I try to put them on, they seem to crimp badly inside the tire at multiple points. I guess they are supposed to be like this but my original tire/tube combination seemed a lot closer to the same size and were much easier to work with. These are a lot like trying to stuff a live octopus into a jar.
Any thoughts?

IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Tire / Tube Puzzle
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2011, 4:11pm

Patti, it's been my experience that if the tube size is 1/8, 1/2, etc, that it is a 451.  If the tube size is 1.25, 1.5, etc, then it's a 406.  If that's what happen to you, then the tube (20 x 1/8 will have a larger diameter than the tube that is 20 x 1.25.  On the good side, if you want to sell the tubes, let me know.  My Mantis has 451 tires.

IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2011, 7:14pm

Dianna is right. 406mm = 15.98 inches, while 451mm = 17.76 inches, so what you bought is an almost 2 inch bigger diameter. Most tires and tubes will also have the millimeter designation written on them, and that's the dimension you need to know when you buy.

The two different 26 inch sizes, 559mm and 571mm, are close enough that the tubes are pretty much interchangeable, but not so for the two different 20 inch tubes.

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2011, 7:16pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2011, 7:51am

Arrrg. Oh well, live and learn. Looks like I'll be off to find new tubes today at my least favorite bike shop. Thanks!!!  

Dianna, I bought 4 so let me check and see if they will fit the front wheel on my bike. If so, I'll keep one as a spare and let you have the other three.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print