Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 4:19pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
electric assist for trikes? (Read 4976 times)
esbee

rbent member

electric assist for trikes?
Sep 2nd, 2011, 5:54pm

We were wondering about the possibility of putting an electric assist motor on our Sun Delta trike or getting a trike with one already on it.  Does anyone know where and what kind of motor it would take and how to put one on?  
thanks
Susan

Susan In Paris (Texas, that is!)
Email WWW   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: electric assist for trikes?
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2011, 8:52pm

Try Ecspeed, they use the origanl chain line...
 http://www.ecospeed.com/

I'm building an kit for our trike..

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2011, 9:31pm

How much is the motor you are building and are they hard to put on a bike?
Susan Smiley

Email WWW   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2011, 9:51pm

We ordered a 48v 1000w motor..The controller has a max of 40 amp , so i'm getting a 48v 30ah battery.that should be more that enough for a day ride by itself .But that not why we are doing this..I wanted to make sure that we don't run out  and we are going to pedal tooo.The goal is to have an assist for a ride of 60 miles.
 I was told that 36v 750 w motor is plenty for assist .We are heavier people and i want to up the motor a little.The system i'm building is versilate that i can change the gearing for hill climbing or cruising fast on roads..
 The Ecspeed is a simple setup . I believe it setup to be regenerative too.When the motor not in use while pedaling it turns the motor and charge the battery.
My setup won't be that way. I'm going to have freewheel on both side so when motor not in use the only thing i'm working with is the weight  of the system.No regenerative.  
 I'll be glad to help anyway i can..

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2011, 12:42am

how much does this motor cost?
since my husband only rides a short distance- less than 2 miles in most cases, he needs the assist so he can ride longer and have help on inclines...he is a heavier person needing to build stamina and lose weight...he has to sleep propped up (apnea and other issues)
thanks for any help and suggestions

susan

Email WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2011, 5:17pm

If you could find a reasonably-priced, used tadpole trike, a RideKick Power Trailer might be the simplist and most economical route to assisted, short-distance riding. A RideKick trailer costs $729, and shipping is free. The RideKick site address is: www.ridekick.com. See the demo video at the site. Also, see a review of the trailer at: www.bentrideronline.com.  

Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2011, 6:35pm

Wow that would be an expensive up grade to do..In order to use that trailer you have to get a different trike that is compatable..Esbee if you could hold on a little bit, I might be able to save you a ton of money to put a kit on your trike..

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2011, 7:15pm

okey dokey---will wait...thanks
Susan

Email WWW   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2011, 8:01pm

Quote from power_bent on Sep 6th, 2011, 6:35pm:
Wow that would be an expensive up grade to do..In order to use that trailer you have to get a different trike that is compatable..Esbee if you could hold on a little bit, I might be able to save you a ton of money to put a kit on your trike..

Not really - the ecospeed you recommended runs 3-4 grand and is much more complicated to install then just hooking up a trailer

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2011, 9:23pm

Tony, that was just a suggestion not recomended.....There many other reason why i said that site. It not really hard at all to install.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2011, 9:26pm by power_bent »  

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2011, 9:41pm

Well i went back to the site and they have added more info about the ridekick. There adding more room for the trailer capacity which is good for dual purpose. The only prob i see with this etup which this guy didn't mention is traction. You get anywhere around dirt or gravel you gonna spin the tires..

One thing i'm that i'm not very happy with some people on here is that they don't help people they rather have them spend money.Wheres the Kingdom in that.....

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2011, 4:51pm

Just keep in mind that US Federal rules and TX laws for e-assist are not the same so if you intend to cross state lines you need to build to the Federal rules. In TX you are not limited in power or speed as long as pedalling is required to get assist, but you still have to stay under the posted speed limits. If you can get assist without pedalling TX law limits you to 20 MPH, and either way the bike has to weigh under 100 pounds "ready to ride". At the moment "ready to ride" means if you can take it off and still get assist and ride the bike it doesn't count for the 100 pound weight limit, but that might change.

Federal rules limit power to 750 Watts and 20 MPH with a 170 pound rider on level ground with no wind, no weight limit. I suggest building a bike with 750W that is geared to a maximum speed of 20 MPH and weighs under 100 pounds with batteries.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2011, 9:40pm

Well said

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2011, 9:31pm

Just wanted to mention that there is a used Bionix electric assist for sale over at Recumbent Riders international. The person selling it is a long time member. Might be worth a look.  Here is the text of the post:

I have a used BIONIX Electric Assist unit for sale. It includes, charger, cables, battery, laced wheel/hub etc. Regular price for the cheapest unit is around $1,890 dollars, I am only asking $800 OBO since it is used. If interested please contact me at: serenity at nxs dot net

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print