Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
2011 HHH, or Hell's Gate before 9:00 am! (Read 4624 times)
Bud_Bent

2011 HHH, or Hell's Gate before 9:00 am!
Aug 27th, 2011, 5:21pm

Yesterday, I joined DJ (rawhide here on rbent) for my my 5th consecutive trip to the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred. We took DJ's Scion again this year. It gets great mileage and works very well for hauling our bikes and all our junk.

I had a blast yesterday and today like I always do at HHH. The stay at the Lamar Church worked great as usual. With this year's heat, they started the 100 mile riders an hour earlier. We got up an hour earlier than usual, and rode to the start 45 minutes earlier than usual. It seemed strange starting in the dark, but there seemed to be fewer slower riders on the course out in front of everyone, so maybe that early start isn't a bad idea. I did indeed reach Hell's Gate before 9:00 am. The early start made that possible for the first time. But it wasn't nearly the only first for me.

I had made the decision to start with an easier pace than ever before. With the ride starting in the dark, plus the fact that I've blown up on every high effort longer ride I've done this year, I decided a different tack was called for. It had a more dramatic effect on my finishing time than I expected. I made a mental note of my overall average speed every 10 miles, and here's what it looked like:

Mile 10 - 20.0 mph .......... Easily the slowest start to HHH I've ever made
Mile 20 - 20.4 mph
Mile 30 - 20.3 mph
Mile 40 - 20.8 mph
Mile 50 - 21.0 mph
Mile 60 - 21.3 mph
Mile 70 - 21.2 mph
Mile 80 - 21.2 mph
Mile 90 - 21.0 mph .......... I'd never carried a 21 mph average to mile 90 of any ride before, ever

I blew up at mile 90, and the turn at that point puts you on a mostly uphill stretch riding directly against today's southwest wind, and my average started dropping quickly. As I made the turn at the beer stop at mile 98, DJ was waiting, and waved and yelled at me, but by then I knew I had a chance at an under 5 hour ride, so I never slowed down. DJ jumped on his bike, easily caught me, and rode the rest of the way in with me.

According to my Garmin 305, I finished today's Hotter 'N Hell Hundred in 4:57, a personal best and the first time I've ever done a century in under 5 hours. I thought that time was 5:02, looking at the 11:12 time on my watch when I finished, but we must have got started later than the scheduled 6:10 start, because my Garmin tells a different story: 101.8 miles, 20.5 mph on the bike average, overall time of 4:57. I made one 4 minute stop at mile 76.  

Those stats are all unofficial. HHH gave timing chips to everyone this year, but I couldn't find any posted results yet. Did I mention that when you finish HHH at 11:12, it's really not all that hot, even during this brutal summer? It was great seeing everyone at HHH. Thanks for letting me ride along with you, DJ.  

I always love this trip!

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2011, 6:13pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: 2011 HHH, or Hell's Gate before 9:00 am!
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2011, 5:52pm

I had a great time on the 100k route today as well.  My previous best on a 100k was 16.9 avg earlier this year at the Mesquite Rodeo ride.  Needless to say I was more than surprised and very pleased to finish today with a 19.0 avg.  I was able to keep my average above 20.0 until the 20 mile mark then I slowed down as I was worried I'd started too fast and was going to wear out.  This gave me a chance to talk to a very nice guy riding a Gold Rush with a fairing and full body sock from WF.  Rode with him from about mile 20 to 30 where he pulled off for a rest stop.  I was still feeling good so I cranked it back up stopping at mile 40 to refill my water.  I was at that stop longer than I would have liked and when I restarted my knee was acting up.  I think the muscles around my knee cap got tight because I had to ride the first few miles very gently until they seemed to loosen up.  Just as I entered Sheppard AFB I ran into the guy from Oklahoma that was at WRL letting Jay ride his Fujin.  Talked with him a little while about Jay's purchase of the Musashi.  Had to put in some work to get my avg back up to 19 before the finish line but I just made it.  2009 was my first HH where I completed my first 100k on an up-wrong hybrid finishing with around a 12.5 avg.  I sure have come a long way in 2 years - I wonder where I'll be 2 yrs from now!!!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
ATXrds

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2011, 7:09pm

I had a great time.  I really appreciated the volunteers and the spectators cheering us on.  Felt a bit awkward letting someone hold my bike (I usually set it on the grass) and I was offered so many wet towels from these cute kids!

I also averaged 21 mph for the entire ride but I too had problems and had to use the 90 mile rest stop.  I fear the rest stops + waiting for a train to cross will put me over the 5hour goal.  Still this was my best century time and I have something to work on next year.  I feel pretty good actually with no after effects from the sudden cramps. Will probably take an easy ride tomorrow to loosen the muscles.  

I was very happy to meet the other Rbent riders.  Please drop me a line if you come down to Austin for any rides.  I don't think I will do Livestrong this year, but am thinking about the Outlaw 100 in Round Rock.

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2011, 8:13pm

Bud I could have swore I saw you pushing your bike back to the 90 mile rest stop? Glad you finished okay. Paul I assume that was you yelling at the beer stop?  

I was a little concerned about my endurance and didn't think I could do the same speed as last year but matched it with a 22.2 average and finished in 4 hours 34 minutes. The Garmin read 118 degrees while siting outside the tent at the last rest stop, 111 at the finish.

IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2011, 8:24pm

Quote from ATXrds on Aug 27th, 2011, 7:09pm:
I fear the rest stops + waiting for a train to cross will put me over the 5hour goal.
I had assumed you were in front of me, but maybe you were behind me after all. Along with two tandems, I was the last bike to make it across those train tracks before the train came through.

Quote from mleuck on Aug 27th, 2011, 8:13pm:
Bud I could have swore I saw you pushing your bike back to the 90 mile rest stop?
It wasn't me. I only stopped at mile 76.

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2011, 8:25pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2011, 8:44pm

I stayed at the Lamar Baptist Church with 4 other Rbent riders and I believe that IS the way to go.  Me driving up at 0100 in the morning just killed me during the previous rides.  The people at the church were great, the other Rbent riders made me feel welcomed, and everything went well including the breakfast this morning.

However, I did not go as far as I had hoped as I still haven't found some good shoes to wear to keep me from getting those hot spots which hit me about 6 miles into the ride.  I only did 25 miles, the shortest route I have ridden, but it was also the best ride I have done at the HHH.

I was REALLY concerned about the heat, but it didn't become a factor for me today as I crossed the start line at 0729 and the finish line at 0930.

Next year I will be on my Musahi..... Smiley

Ric Clark

I will persist until I succeed...

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2011, 9:09pm

Bud I could have swore I saw you pushing your bike back to the 90 mile rest stop?
It wasn't me. I only stopped at mile 76. [/quote]

Good to hear, that 76 mile stop is my favorite.

IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2011, 9:32pm

I stayed with GBD member Dave R. and E.W. at a motel just west of the start. We watched the 6am start go by then joined in at a break in traffic. Running with lights with a large unknown pack is not for the faint of heart. Alot of roadies running without any. Major wreck at the 15 mi. mark with apx. 10 involved. another one down at the 30 with a few noted heat stressed riders. I convinced my partners I was only interested in the 65 miler and wanted to go through Sheppard. 18 avg. at the finish then back tracked to the "rest stop" for refreshments. 76 miles total.        

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2011, 10:24pm

I had a very enjoyable trip, carpooling up with Lynn again as usual -- The Lamar gets better and better every year, and I slept well Friday night, although the 4AM lights-on was a bit rough...  Good times, pal-ing around with Bud, DJ, Rick, and others, and good to meet ATX from Austin!
    The 6:10 AM start seemed to be the choice of most of the day's riders -- the start area was full of 'bents and tandems...  and that start time had the advantage of getting us off before many of the "start cheaters" got on the road -- the temps were cool, the first 10 miles were practically empty of other riders, and the sun was just coming up when we hit the 20 mile point!
    I had decided to do a "different" HHH this year, and rode most of it with GDB tandem pals Dennis and Michelle, just holding a steady 20mph pace for the most part -- so we stopped at the 20, 40, 50 rest stops, stopped to take photos in front of Pyro Pete, then took the cutoff to go through the air force base instead of doing the 100, despite being at Hell's Gate before 9:30AM.  Going through the base was pretty cool, never having done that before -- I got some great photos which I'll post tomorrow.  Heard a lot of "Awesome machine!" from the guys on the base...   Smiley
   Crossed the finish with 75 miles and a 20mph on-bike average about 11:15 (if memory serves), and could have easily done a lot more.  At that point, I rode the 100mile route backwards out to the Beer Stop  Smiley  , to meet several other friends and hang for a while, then rode back in about 1:30ish, and happened to see Bud and DJ downtown, dashing towards the finish, trying to beat their 5 hour goal.  Congrats to you both!
    After cleaning up a the Lamar,  I had to drive out to RS9 to SAG in a friend who had cratered in the heat, and I was shocked at the number of riders still on the course in the 2:30-3:00 PM timeframe.  At that time, they "closed" the ride, as temps had reached 110 degrees, telling people if they continued on, they were doing it without official support.  People were REALLY hurting in that heat...  no wonder, if they took 7-8 hours to get to mile 80...
   Excellent trip, overall...   Smiley  Smiley  I think the 6:10AM start is a keeper...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
ATXrds

rbent member

Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2011, 7:48am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 27th, 2011, 8:24pm:
Quote from ATXrds on Aug 27th, 2011, 7:09pm:
I fear the rest stops + waiting for a train to cross will put me over the 5hour goal.
I had assumed you were in front of me, but maybe you were behind me after all. Along with two tandems, I was the last bike to make it across those train tracks before the train came through.

Bud I could have swore I saw
you pushing your bike back to the 90 mile rest stop?
It wasn't me. I only stopped at mile 76.

You must have been flying from the start. I thought mike and I were doing pretty well.  
Alas I cannot blame the train. I was in the right spot at the right time at mile 90  I was doing well going up the hill thinking "10 more miles. Let's push it!"

The sudden cramp forced me to veer to the rest stop. I felt like I was in one of those pictures of an ugly brute surrounded by cherubs filling my bottles offering me towels and encouragement. 5 minutes later I was on the road again but cautiously spun the distance. I saw a few riders stop and cramp. I saw a df rider push his buddy up a hill. A car actually pulled over and gave them a draft.  All in all feel lucky I cramped right at the rest stop.  

BTW Mike if you see this I'm sorry we split up. I waited at mile 70 and called out as you flew by. I couldn't catch up. Hope to ride with you again after you get your car bent.  

IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2011, 9:00am

My HHH was fun but not what I had planned on.  I forgot to bring my cycling shoes and a towel of all things.  I just ended up doing the 25 mile route because I knew the sandles I wore would give me hot foot.  Ended up doing 35 miles because I peeled off the route after the air base to find the 98 mile beer stop.  I hung out there for about an hour.  didn't see any bents till Bud and Leroy from Louisiana came rolling through.  And my, Bud was hell bent on rolling through that corner.  He looked really good.  Took a while for me to catch him and did so about 200 yards before that last overpass.  It was really neat to witness his personal best from behind.  Was great to meet Ric & ATX and see other recumbent family and look forward to next year.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
m_mcdonald

rbent member

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2011, 9:59pm

I had a great time at the 30th HHH. According to the Wichita Falls Times Record it was the hottest HHH on record. I really enjoyed riding with ATX from Austin from the start through about 60 miles where I started cramping and had to back it down a bit. ATX was on a Carbent Raven. I just ordered one 2 weeks ago so it was great to see one in action. He seemed to go up hills with a lot less effort. I am now even more excited about receiving the new bike, which should be 4 to 6 weeks. I finished in 4 hours 53 minutes going 101.7 miles according to my Garmin 305. Average speed was 20.8. I was handed a beer as I went by the beer stop so had to ride with one hand for a mile or so while I drank the beer. My goal was to finish in 5 hours with a 20 mph average so I was very pleased with the results. I saw Bud and met Rawhide on the way out to the parking lot. It was really cool riding with that many recumbents.  
I spent the last three weeks traveling and riding starting with a 75 mile ride in the Davis mountains, then a 40 mile loop in Cloudcroft, New Mexico to Mayhill. I then drove to Malibu and rode in the Santa Monica Mountains for 3 days after going to Bent Up Cycles and ordering the Carbent. Malibu has to be some of the best bicycle riding in the world. There were some great climbs and some very fast decents with warm up and cool down along the Pacific Coast Highway. I then did 70 miles around Newport Beach and spent the next week in San Diego riding along the coast between San Diego and Oceanside. There are some great hills in La Jolla and Torrey Pines. The riding prepared me well for the HHH except for the heat. The temperatures in Ca. were 68 to 75 degrees so coming back to Wichita Falls at 109 was a little distressing but that's what it makes it challenging and fun.
ATX, sorry I missed you at the 70 mile stop but I thought you probably had already continued on. I was thinking if I skipped the stop I might be able to catch back up. Sounds like you finished just in front of me.  
Maybe we can tee it up again once I get the Carbent.

Mike

Email   IP Logged
jdviz

Mushashi Rider &
Sloshbuckler

Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2011, 9:57pm

It was Elizabeth and my first time at the HHH. We had a great time, but missed the gate by ONE frikkin minute. One. Sideliners were screaming at us to get a 1/4 mile before they closed it in 3 minutes. We made the 3, but they were wrong.

All in all though, we're proud of what we accomplished, was still the longest ride we'd ever done. Will post a couple of pics in the photo section.

JD-
Musashi Rider
www.sloshbucklers.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2011, 10:03pm

Quote from jdviz on Aug 29th, 2011, 9:57pm:
It was Elizabeth and my first time at the HHH. We had a great time, but missed the gate by ONE frikkin minute. One.

It's probably a good thing that you got turned away...  the course was closed down around 2:30ish, and temps were approaching 110 degrees -- and the route from Mile 74 to Mile 90 is a TOUGH stretch, with three rest stops just in that distance...  because they're NEEDED...

Paul

Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2011, 10:05pm

I was looking at pictures in the Times-Record and there was one guy that had a rider number in the mid-18K range.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
jdviz

Mushashi Rider &
Sloshbuckler

Reply #15 - Aug 29th, 2011, 10:46pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 29th, 2011, 10:03pm:
Quote from jdviz on Aug 29th, 2011, 9:57pm:
It was Elizabeth and my first time at the HHH. We had a great time, but missed the gate by ONE frikkin minute. One.

It's probably a good thing that you got turned away...  the course was closed down around 2:30ish, and temps were approaching 110 degrees -- and the route from Mile 74 to Mile 90 is a TOUGH stretch, with three rest stops just in that distance...  because they're NEEDED...

Paul

Yeah, that's the conclusion we all came to. As it was, it was noon when we got to the finish line at 75 miles completed and we were over heating then. Only needed to stop twice, in retrospect, we wish we had stopped at more rest stops to enjoy them, but nooo, pushed hard for the gate. Our poor EZ-1's just weren't the right bikes for this ride.

JD-
Musashi Rider
www.sloshbucklers.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #16 - Aug 31st, 2011, 11:32am

Oops, I spoke too soon. I forgot that the Edge 305 pauses everything when you stop, even overall time. So what the Garmin calls overall time is actually on the bike time. If you add my 4 minute stop to the 4:57 time the Garmin recorded, you get my real overall time, per timing chip, 5:01.  

HHH is 101.8 miles. So I can still say I've done 100 miles in less than 5 hours, but I can't say I've completed HHH in less than 5 hours. You can find your timer chip time here.

I counted 5,342 timer results, so lots of folks either didn't put on the chip or didn't start at the start.

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2011, 11:42am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #17 - Aug 31st, 2011, 1:50pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 31st, 2011, 11:32am:

I counted 5,342 timer results, so lots of folks either didn't put on the chip or didn't start at the start.

Not quite -- it also indicates a lot of failed reads...  I'm nowhere in the results whatsoever.   Smiley  However, having worked in the RFID industry for a decade, this comes as no surprise to me...  Bastards...   Cheesy

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2011, 1:51pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #18 - Aug 31st, 2011, 3:16pm

Mine is not listed as well....

Ric Clark

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Aug 31st, 2011, 3:26pm

Didn't use mine. Despite reading the instructions I wasn't smart enough to put mine on. I ended up tearing mine apart trying to follow their instructions. My Garmin gives me all the info I need.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
ATXrds

rbent member

Reply #20 - Aug 31st, 2011, 4:23pm

Quote from TonyWard on Aug 31st, 2011, 3:26pm:
Didn't use mine. Despite reading the instructions I wasn't smart enough to put mine on. I ended up tearing mine apart trying to follow their instructions. My Garmin gives me all the info I need.

Glad I wasn't the only one who did that!  Those instructions were the worst and described the wrong procedure!  I ended up taping mine back together and am surprised it worked.  Though my Garmin showed a 4:47 riding time, I ended up with a total time of 5:10!  

Next time, I'll try to keep it to just one stop like Bud did.  Hopefully I can get in a Bacchetta or Carbent paceline as well.  BTW I must have been in a zone b/c I do not recall the beer stop at all as in FlyingLazyBoy's pictures.  Is it sponsored by Hooters?  

IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #21 - Sep 2nd, 2011, 10:53am

I was going through the unidentified photos from the HHH and found some pictures of;

Tony - pages 73 & 273
ATXrds - 218

Smiley

Ric Clark

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print