Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 7:31am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chain jumping aftr shifting gears (Read 2004 times)
Tom Nuchols

rbent member

Chain jumping aftr shifting gears
Aug 20th, 2011, 5:16am

I am havine a problem with the chain jumping after shifting gears.  This normally happens on the down shift and normally i can shift up one gear and make it stop.  Does anyone know why this is occurring?
Thanks  
Tom

IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Chain jumping aftr shifting gears
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2011, 4:30pm

Quote from Tom Nuchols on Aug 20th, 2011, 5:16am:
I am havine a problem with the chain jumping after shifting gears.  This normally happens on the down shift and normally i can shift up one gear and make it stop.  Does anyone know why this is occurring?
Thanks
Tom

Does it have bar end shifter?? If so that what the prob is , same what it was doing on my trike...

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2011, 4:41pm

If you've been running this chain for a while, be sure to check it for wear. They will do that when they get too worn. A loose nut on the cassette can cause this, too.

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2011, 4:43pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2011, 9:52pm

I had this problem once. I did some reading on it, and found that the shifter cable tension regulates the sensitivity and speed of the shifting. There on the handle bar where the shifter cable enter the shifter housing, there is a nut around the cable that makes small adjustments to the tension. I found that I could adjust this easily while I was riding - I found the sweet spot and my bike stopped shifting gears by itself. It's hard to climb a hill when your bike keeps shifting gears, isn't it! Oh yeah, the adjuster screws on the rear derailluer are for setting how high and low the chain will go, they don't affect how it shifts on the cogs in between. As long as your bike will shift onto the biggest and smallest cogs without throwing the chain off, leave these screws alone. Good luck!

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
Tom Nuchols

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2011, 5:25pm

Thanks for the information.   I checked the chain and to my surprise it exceeds the 1.0 mark on the chain gauge.  This chain has not got more than 2000 miles on it if that much.   It is a Sram  971  chain.  I thought this was a good chain when I installed it.  I had replaced the  cassette at the same time.    I will check with the Lonview Bike shop  to see if they have any  three chains in stock tomorrow.
Thank you
Tom Nuchols

IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2011, 7:26pm

Quote from Tom Nuchols on Aug 20th, 2011, 5:16am:
Thanks
Tom

You will prob still have the same prob because what you describe is indexing wasn't right .A loose chain will jump up not change gears .

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2011, 7:55pm

Also, I doubt a worn chain would wear out a cassette in 2000 miles.  Replace the chain and adjust the tension on the shift wire and see if you've fixed it.  The cassette can go on your spare wheel.  (You do have a spare wheel, don't you?)  Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2011, 11:39am

I had a similar problem on my trike. It made climbing a real adventure. I couldn't find an adjustment to consistently correct it it but Mike (Easy Street) finally fixed it by adding an extra spacer to my cassette.

IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2011, 8:26pm

Check the low limit screw on your derailler, it sounds like it might have backed out a touch.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Tom Nuchols

rbent member

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2011, 6:22am

Thanks for every one inforumatgion.

The chain was definitely worn out.  The gauge fell in the 1.o slot like it had molasses on it.   The Cassette nut was definitely tight.  
The new 951 chain is installed, and now for the adjustments.    
I am having a hard time understanding why the old 971 chain wore out so fast.  I t did not have many miles on it.  I had changed the  
chain on the Home built bike at the same time an it has a lot more hard miles on it than the  Bacchetta did.
5/8 inch of rain last nite and the air sure is cool and nice.
Thanks again.
Tom Nuchols

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print