Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 10:00am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chain life data point note (Read 3738 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Chain life data point note
Aug 7th, 2011, 9:43pm

I've had my Xstream since Feb of 2010, and the chain has essentially 6,000 miles on it...   I used RockNRoll Blue chain lube for the first year, solvent-cleaned the chain earlier this year and have used wax-based "Clean Ride" since then.  Today I used one of those wear measurement tools at random points along the chain, and got readings between 0.50 and 0.75...  If the 1.0 point is the recommended replacement indicator, it looks like I can run the rest of this year, and replace this winter - so let's say I'll get 8,000 miles out of a chain.

There are obviously a lot of factors that go into chain wear, but I thought I'd post this data point for general reference.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Re: Chain life data point note
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2011, 5:45pm

I just replaced my chain. After 6,5000 miles.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2011, 6:49pm

I have 8600 on mine...i was holding off till 10 grand.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2011, 6:59pm

5,000 miles on my Carbent's 10-speed chain with 1/16" stretch in 12" (limit is 1/8"). I use spray-on, silicon-based, garage door (and chain) lube with an evaporating carrier (About $4 for a large can at Lowes). I spray it on very liberally, then rub it off with a cloth, turning the crankset during the whole process. Frequency is about every 2 or 3 rides. I don't take the chain off and soak it or use one of the Park or Pedro's cleaning machines.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2011, 7:20pm

Quote from jayg on Aug 8th, 2011, 6:59pm:
5,000 miles on my Carbent's 10-speed chain with 1/16" stretch in 12" (limit is 1/8"). I use spray-on, silicon-based, garage door (and chain) lube with an evaporating carrier (About $4 for a large can at Lowes). I spray it on very liberally, then rub it off with a cloth, turning the crankset during the whole process. Frequency is about every 2 or 3 rides. I don't take the chain off and soak it or use one of the Park or Pedro's cleaning machines.

My garage door installer told me never to use a lube with silicone on my garage door because it removes paint.

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2011, 4:51am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2011, 8:03pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 8th, 2011, 7:20pm:
Quote from jayg on Aug 8th, 2011, 6:59pm:

My garage door installer told me never to use a lube with silicon on my garage door because it removes paint.

I've used the product for years on a lot of painted bikes. Never noticed any deleterious effect on any of the paint. The carrier is not a "hot" solvent, like MEK, so it doesn't affect baked-on paint. As a precaution, I use a cloth to protect the frames when I'm spraying the lube on. When the carrier evaporates, the chain is dry, so no lube gets slung onto the frames.

The biggest concern I would have using it adjacent to paint on a garage would be the effect the silicon would have on adhesion of new coats of paint.  

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2011, 9:58pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Aug 8th, 2011, 5:45pm:
I just replaced my chain. After 6,5000 miles.

John, did you measure wear with a gauge, or just do it as a regular scheduled maintenance thing?

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2011, 4:53am

According to this page on protecting car paint:

"Avoid silicone-based products as they are not beneficial to paint and can cause problems down the road."

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2011, 4:54am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2011, 1:24pm

Quote:
John, did you measure wear with a gauge, or just do it as a regular scheduled maintenance thing?

My chain measured .5 to .75 But I was having trouble shifting and decided to change the chain first.  didn't help that much

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2011, 5:54pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 9th, 2011, 4:53am:
According to this page on protecting car paint:

"Avoid silicone-based products as they are not beneficial to paint and can cause problems down the road."

No explanation was given by the auto painter author of the above statement as to what "problems" will be experienced down the road if silicone-based products are used on auto finishes. As a former auto painter, I think what he was talking about is the problems silicone-based products cause when a car is repainted. I have used silicon remover in preping the surfaces, before I repainted autos, and still experienced "fisheyes" in the finish. It's hard to remove.

Have used silicone-based garage door lubricant on the chains of a total of 12 recumbents I've owned, or now own. Never noticed any visual problems with the finishes. I try to protect them from overspray and immediately wipe off any little bit that happens to get on them. Everybody has their own chain lube preference. I happen to like the performance of the product I use as a combo cleaner/lubricant. Looks like I may get 10,000 miles out of the chain on my Carbent, using the product (If I live long enough  Smiley). The Carbent doesn't have any paint on it, so no worries there.  Smiley

Something interesting I discovered while researching this subject - the chain lubricant I use contains dimethylpolysiloxane (silicone). McDonalds Chicken Mc Nuggets contain this same chemical. It's used as an anti-foaming agent (In the frying oil?). Dimethylpolysiloxane is also used in Silly Putty. Remember this the next time you're eating McNuggets. Smiley  

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2011, 8:02pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2011, 3:18am

I suppose I could keep posting links, and you could keep arguing with each one individually, but I think I've made my point that some professionals claim that a silicone based lubricant can degrade paint. There are lots of lubricants that contain no silicone, including every product I've ever seen that called itself chain lube.

But then chain lube has always seemed to be a popular target for an unending argument. I've always been amazed at how many people not only use something unusual for chain lube, but also feel compelled to preach it to the rest of the world.

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2011, 4:54am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha