Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:20pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? (Read 24822 times)
Bud_Bent

Did you ride today?
Aug 7th, 2011, 9:34pm

Over at another forum, someone started a thread with this simple title a while back. That thread is now very long. Lots of people, it seems, don't want to start a new thread for a simple report on a ride, but they don't mind replying to an existing thread with a couple of lines about their ride.

Let's do that here, too. If you have a detailed report to give, please start a new thread, just like always, especially if it's a ride that other rbenters participated in, and will soon be replying to your report. But if you only have a short report and don't want to start a new thread, post it as a reply here.

Even if the answer is no, you didn't ride today, post and tell us about today anyway (why you didn't ride, maybe).

I've restored and locked the old version of this thread. It crashed. Perhaps it just became too long. If you lost a post from the crash and restore, just repost it in this thread. You can read the original "Did you ride today" thread here

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2011, 10:00am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Did you ride today?
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2011, 9:55pm

Well, that's interesting - I posted about 45 minutes ago, I guess I reached it's limit!!!   Cheesy

So, to report -- I did the GDB Sunday Roll this morning, with a few miles to and from -- toasty out there!!!   I put on the slingmesh seat and wore sandals, just for something different.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2011, 11:17pm

Well. 3 1/2 miles today 14 miles yesterday and a burned butt from the bike sitting in the sun while I worked Smiley I got a ride in the back of a pickup today because I had some cargo to haul back that wouldn't fit in a backpack. You know you're acclimated to the heat when a ride that's "only" 91F is comfortable without a water stop. Smiley

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2011, 7:30am

I got in 22miles Sunday mostly on TT. For some reason trail has 3 blocked off areas for 2 weeks now.So far only one of those needs to be closed,only thing the other 2 partitions do is slow riders down and one throws you into traffic with blind spot in to on comming traffic, so be carefull pulling out onto road. That spot is right before you get into Trinity Park zone across from some high rise apts.  where you have to cross over Rogers Rd. and Riverfront Dr.Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2011, 7:40am by jman »  

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2011, 4:48pm

Just 2 laps around white rock today, getting ready for the BIG Clown ride tomorrow!!!  Smiley

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2011, 5:12pm

Quote from kenbent6 on Aug 8th, 2011, 4:48pm:
Just 2 laps around white rock today, getting ready for the BIG Clown ride tomorrow!!!  

"Big" ride? Does that mean you'll be riding up the Trail with us?  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2011, 6:09pm

Did 27 with the Clowns this morning, rode Kenny's bike about a mile, then went and picked up Kathy at the airport.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2011, 7:41pm

Did abt 7 1/2 miles thiis morning before the heat got too much for me.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2011, 7:16am

Early AM ride. Steve an I have been getting out about 5AM to bet the heat. Averaging around 25 miles each day.
On Thursdays we will ride with our local club.

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2011, 7:23am

Evening Mesquite route solo, due to a late arrival -- just did 21 miles down to Hwy 80 and back, but used the TiMountain cooling vest -- it works very nicely...

square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2011, 10:36pm

Well, I don't know that this post for last Saturday is detailed enough - any case, I've never started a new thread so I'll go with what I know.

Sharon and I headed to the area west of Houston to escape the heat and joined 3 other LSR riders and one HR rider for a 300k. Well, it was cooler down south, but still a good bit over 100 and plenty more humid - so mixed results on "escaping the heat". But it does cool off down there when the sun sets - down to the low 70s by mornings. Still this was a pretty slow ride. The heat is the culprit. I didn't have major heat issues but 2 of our group of 5 did. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. There were lots of rolling hills and some great back roads riding. It's been very dry in the area, but very little sign of trees dying off, such as here. The fields and pastures are greener looking there as well. The heat hasn't affected wildlife sightings - we saw lots of deer in the morning. Besides my 2.4 mile roundtrip from the other hotel, I realized at the end that I was very close to 200 miles. I'd already shut off the Garmin, but added 1.17 miles to make it 200. I used the wired backup computer to record the extra. The Garmin was already giving me "low battery" so I didn't turn it back on, I left the Garmin off to maximize available juice for Sunday! That's about the most extra I'd do to register 200, these days, especially when its late and I'm just wanting to get some food and get to bed.  

Sunday our fearless leader wanted some company on his fun "cooldown" Sunday ride. 4 of 5 of us from the previous day were on board with that. With an 8AM start though, we were very quickly enduring some serious heat. I think it was hotter than the previous day, but it was hard to tell on the thermometer as we ducked in and out of cloud shadows on our route, which was an out and back from Brookshire to Alleyton. I did see more sustained sun temperature at 114° than I had the day before. But the best I got on "shade" temp was 105, same as Saturday. We had some serious crosswind too. But I didn't see this as a big issue - it provided the only relief from the sun beating down, besides the intermittent clouds. But it did slow us down even from a slow Saturday. It's called Tacos & BBQ because the turnaround point has a BBQ place on one end of the convenience store and a Taco Bell on the other end. We chose Taco Bell for our lunch. We added 6 extra miles at the end to make the minimum distance (90 miles) for posting to the UMCA century challenge.  

This was one of my more ambitious summer weekends for riding, this year. Thanks to the cooling vest, all day rations of Pediolyte, and topping our fluids off with ice at every stop, it was possible to do this without being overly affected by heat!

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2011, 4:00pm

Nine at Barbec's for breakfast this morning. Eight riders actually did the Clown Ride. We ran across a young man standing on top of one of the guardrails for the Path bridge over the North end of the Lake. He gave us a thumbs up as we passed. The rail is high. If he happened to fall onto the Path, he would have busted his head on the concrete. If he fell feet first or dived into the Lake, he would have gotten a nasty surprise, because it is only about four feet deep and silted in under the bridge (I jumped out of a sailboat one time near the shore in that same area and went up to my waist in mud.). A DPD patrolman on a bike confronted the guy, who told him he was just meditating. Only four of us braved the heat and rode up the WRL Trail. Two rode back (Bob M. and I). I did another loop of the Lake for a total of 53 miles. Clown No. 1 was absent today, trying to get the bike rack hitch on his car fixed.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2011, 4:44pm

I didn't ride to work Monday and I'm taking a day of vacation tomorrow, so I only rode to work 3 days this week. On the way home Tuesday, I rode a couple of miles off my usual route to stop by Performance Bike to pick up an order, and ended up with 29.6 miles.  

I thought today was just going to be another standard 105 degree ride home, but I was mistaken. When I went to leave work, I noticed my front tire was low. I pumped it up and headed for home. As soon as I walked out of the shop, I noticed the dark clouds in the north. I didn't think too much about it. Most of our storms come from the west, so I figured this would stay north of me.  

Just over halfway home, I could tell that front tire was getting low again, so I stopped to pump it up. It was obvious by then that this storm wasn't moving east, it was coming south and gaining on me. I hadn't quite finished pumping the tire up when the 50 mph north wind and dust storm hit.

The south ride down Crowley Road was nice. I would have averaged over 30 mph if I hadn't hit every traffic light red. But when I turned west on FM 1187, I was dealing with a 50 mph crosswind, not that much fun on a faired bike. The storm faded before it reached me and all we got at home was wind and dust. It looks like the cooler air reached DFW Airport early enough to end our streak of 100+ degree days at 40, two short of the record.

2011 days ridden to work: 135
2011 commuting mileage: 3295.8  

Tuesday commute with side trip to Performance Bike.

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2011, 5:32pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Aug 11th, 2011, 6:21pm

Got in my 7miles today early. Sure be glad when it gets cooler again so I can wonder far from home without having to deal with a potential heat stroke Smiley   I use Performance Cycling parking lot as my current swing around back north spot, nice folks there now that I have dealt with them a while. Sure would love to see them carry some bents, like Rans or Bachettas, it would improve the neighborhood Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #14 - Aug 12th, 2011, 7:40am

Did Mesquite again thursday night, enjoying the sub-100 degree temperature...  a group of 7 decided to ride at ~20mph instead of 23-24, so I was able to hang with them for once...  Got in a nice 30 miles.

jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #15 - Aug 12th, 2011, 2:36pm

Got in a nice sunrise ride 22miles through the Trinity Trails and out Oakmount Park up Bryant Irving. Talked with RANS owner Mike under a shade tree near Low Level Dam 1 before continuing to Oakmount Park. Loved the cloud cover, it sure made for a pleasant Fri.morning. Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2011, 8:51pm

yup, just got in from riding down the road about .69 mile to where my 30 yr old horse has a pasture to help a friend doctor her 30 yr old mare.  Then rode back home and then my hubby did 3/4 mile WITH THE BREAK ON ALL THE WAY ( Smiley he forgot to undo the little button you press down on the handle bar. Then I rode around the block a little more...wish we had more places to ride.  

Susan And Stephen Barackman from Paris, tX
fine art from Morning Light Studio
http://susanbarackman.freeservers.com

Susan In Paris (Texas, that is!)
Email WWW   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #17 - Aug 12th, 2011, 8:53pm

SPELLING CORRECTION---RODE WITH THE BRAKE ON....
I can spell, I just can't type! Smiley
Susan and Stephen from Paris, t

Email WWW   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #18 - Aug 12th, 2011, 9:24pm

Did a short ride this morning on the Trinity Trail before going to work. Talked with JMan briefly - It was good to chat in person after reading so many of his posts. Maybe good news on the TT construction front also. I spoke with one of the guys working on the section near Bryant Irvin road - he said they were going to finish up on Tuesday with their work, so concrete could be going back in on Wednesday. Woo-hoo! that detour section is where I cut a sidewall and flatted a tire a couple of weeks ago right at dusk.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Aug 13th, 2011, 7:55pm

I'm in Nebraska...riding.... home of the greatest football team in the country. Cool   Details later.  Dear Aggie please do not throw anything at the screen...

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2011, 8:49pm by johnnybent »  
Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Aug 13th, 2011, 8:22pm

Even though it was wet and rain in the area I just could not sit home and see a cloudy day pass, after all it is August and the rain is not cold so off I went. What's a little rain and slick road to a CLOWN. 30 miles, we need more RAIN!!!  Smiley

IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #21 - Aug 13th, 2011, 8:46pm

Only got in 6.5 but it was nice to have clouds and not feel like I was on a roasting skewer. I got a little distracted enjoying the wet day and almost became a hood orniment in Hulen Mall Parking lot  Smiley, glad those Conti's stop great wet or dry.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #22 - Aug 13th, 2011, 9:19pm

Nope, I didn't ride today. I got up at 4:00 am, got my cycling stuff on, ate breakfast, and started getting my cycling stuff ready. Only then did I look at the weather radar and realize there was going to be strange wet stuff falling from the sky for hours. I went back to bed.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #23 - Aug 13th, 2011, 11:30pm

Quote from johnnybent on Aug 13th, 2011, 7:55pm:
I'm in Nebraska...riding.... home of the greatest football team in the country. Cool   Details later.  Dear Aggie please do not throw anything at the screen...

Too late,  Smiley               I already broke my computer keyboard reading these inaccurate  Smiley     statements.....

Ric Clark

I will persist until I succeed...

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #24 - Aug 14th, 2011, 8:10am

Well Ihope you didnt read it while you where eating.  Now I have to deal with these folks from OHIO.

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #25 - Aug 14th, 2011, 8:25am

I rode in a small rally (Kool Aid) in Hastings Nebr. on Saturday. They run it on a shoe string buget. If they had 200 if would be pushing it. No police no EMT very small rest stops wth just barey the basics. We are spoiled with the rest stops at our rallies. The roads are glass smooth, most with shoulders. The route (65mi) was rolling hills and always long accents. Flat is a relative term here. In a car is seems that way but try it on a bike. There were NO DOGS! Repeat NO DOGS. The wind was also a factor yesterday...always seemed to be changing no matter what direction you went. After the ride there was a free buffet at a local motel.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #26 - Aug 14th, 2011, 3:04pm

I took off from home on the Corsa around 6:20 this morning and rode 93.4 miles. A good bit of that was my Crowley Cricket Crunch permanent route. One thing I wanted to do was check CR 405 to see if Johnson County had finally paved it again. It had been gravel for long enough that I had finally re-routed Crowley Cricket Crunch around it. But, it’s paved now, so I can change it back.

There were a few showers around, but I never got rained on. I did see a nice rainbow just south of Burleson. The clouds lasted until 11:00 am, and it was getting pretty hot by the time I got home just before 1:00 pm. Winds stayed light for the entire ride.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #27 - Aug 14th, 2011, 3:29pm

52 miles at WRL - ran into Jay towards the end of my ride and tried to do a fast lap with him but he rode me into the ground on his Baron.  I was flying so fast on the west side of the lake trying to catch him that my kickstand had enough and ejected from my bike.  Didn't discover that until I got back to my car.  Got a few bonus miles backtracking to find it with no luck.  Jay took another lap and just called saying he found it!  

It had been so long since I had seen his Baron I thought maybe he had turned it into yard art.

I'm off to Florida tomorrow for a week on the beach but I'll be back in time for HHH.  Hope to see everyone there!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #28 - Aug 14th, 2011, 3:38pm

Put 31 miles on the Musashi at WRL, yesterday. Ran across Steve S. riding his Catrike 700. This was his first outing since he injured his right leg in June. After Steve packed it in and went home, I ran across Bob M. on his Cartrike 700 and rode the rest of the time with him. Later, Bob and I ran across Mark L. in the Dallas Bike Works parking lot, just after he had completed his riding for the day. This was Mark's first WRL ride since returning from Wisconsin (Where he participated in the Hostle Shoppe recumbent rally) and Illinois. Got to see the police stop and ticket a guy driving a car on the Path at Tee Pee Hill. He was apparently not drunk, and was not old and confused, so I don't know what his excuse was.  Smiley

Put 43 miles on the Baron at WRL, today. Initially, ran across Grady B. riding his new, blinged-out Musashi and rode with him. We had to pretty much stick to the roads, because there was a big running event taking place and the Path was jammed with runners. Later, Grady and I ran across Lynn M, Carolyn T, Larry K, and Tony W at Tee Pee Hill. Larry is a recent recumbent convert (Had been riding a hybrid bike) who is trying to decide which type of recumbent to buy. He has been riding Lynn's P-38 and was giving Carolyn's Bacchetta Corsa a try this morning. Had some fun with Tony. He was riding his low racer, and we did some high-speed riding on the east side Path with me drafting him. Also, we did some high-speed riding on West Lawther. After riding the Musashi, yesterday, and the Baron, today, I'm pretty well convinced that it takes a little less effort to cruise at 23 mph on the Musashi than on the Baron. After I receive the parts this week, I'm going to convert the Baron's 9-speed drive train to close-ratio 10-speed, like the Musashi's, and see if it makes a difference.

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #29 - Aug 14th, 2011, 5:50pm

Rode around the area of Kearney ne. The city has put in place paths much like WRL. It didnt exist when i went to school here and it very nice. We roll the town up by 5 so there's little traffic in the evening. Nice smooth, wide roads and NO DOGS. IF old man winter didnt reside here half the year this area would be nice to live.

Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #30 - Aug 16th, 2011, 2:04pm

Got in my parks and Trinity ride this morning. Nice breeze from south kept it comfy for a morning total of 19 miles. Didn't see any other bents today and few df's.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #31 - Aug 17th, 2011, 1:38pm

Put on a helmet and rode the new bike over to Bishop Arts and back, then to Keist Park and back.  Practiced going over bumps and holes, (well, I could hardly avoid that!)  Practiced stops and starts.  The most challenging was getting across Illinois St. without a light.  Didn't distinguish myself, but didn't extinguish myself, either.  The ride is much smoother than the trike's, but not peppy on the modest hills.  Completed 11 miles, with a couple of adjustment stops, in a stately 10 mph!  Tongue

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #32 - Aug 17th, 2011, 4:39pm

Quote from rmillay on Aug 17th, 2011, 1:38pm:
Put on a helmet and rode the new bike over to Bishop Arts and back, then to Keist Park and back.  Practiced going over bumps and holes, (well, I could hardly avoid that!)  Practiced stops and starts.  The most challenging was getting across Illinois St. without a light.  Didn't distinguish myself, but didn't extinguish myself, either.  The ride is much smoother than the trike's, but not peppy on the modest hills.  Completed 11 miles, with a couple of adjustment stops, in a stately 10 mph!  Tongue

What bike you get??

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #33 - Aug 17th, 2011, 5:04pm

One loop around white rock, Johnnybent is back from his trip, he may come to the Clown breakfast tomorrow. I just got my new wheel for the V so watch me ride 14 mph!!! Go CLOWNS!!  Smiley

IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #34 - Aug 17th, 2011, 8:23pm

20 miles going to Mesquite for what I thought would be a $1k gas card but it turned out to be only $2. Smiley The flyer had my winning numbers next to the picture of the gas card prize, but that wasn't what my prize was. Smiley

Email WWW   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #35 - Aug 17th, 2011, 9:32pm

Finished 40 miles around White Rock Lake, saw a scary man sitting in the back of his truck yelling at me Smiley

Doing 40 miles every day for no particular reason other than it's hot outside and it seems like the thing to do

IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #36 - Aug 17th, 2011, 11:03pm

Quote from mleuck on Aug 17th, 2011, 9:32pm:
Finished 40 miles around White Rock Lake, saw a scary man sitting in the back of his truck yelling at me Smiley

Doing 40 miles every day for no particular reason other than it's hot outside and it seems like the thing to do

I wonder who that was...... Grin

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #37 - Aug 18th, 2011, 12:48pm

Got in 18 miles early today to Trinity Park. Saw a WFAA news van sitting in Trinity Park by the trail bike path. I stopped to see what they were up to , they had just wraped up a follow up report about a woman who drowned late last night while trying to save here child who fell into the river. So sad.  Sad

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #38 - Aug 18th, 2011, 3:57pm

Saw that on the news.  Sad  The new bike is a RANS Formula LE -- red.  Still awaiting the apps.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #39 - Aug 18th, 2011, 10:05pm

Quote from rmillay on Aug 18th, 2011, 3:57pm:
Saw that on the news.  Sad  The new bike is a RANS Formula LE -- red.  Still awaiting the apps.

That cool.

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #40 - Aug 19th, 2011, 6:59am

Quote from rmillay on Aug 18th, 2011, 3:57pm:
 The new bike is a RANS Formula LE -- red.  Still awaiting the apps.

Photos, we need photos!!!!   Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2011, 6:59am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #41 - Aug 19th, 2011, 7:00am

Just been work commuting on the folder this week, no club rides...

jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #42 - Aug 19th, 2011, 9:06am

Got in 7miles around the neighborhood, rolled past Performance Cycling but got there too early to go shopping, they have extened their store 60% off sale.  Smiley I'll be back to scarf up some tubes and stuff later.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #43 - Aug 19th, 2011, 7:24pm

I rode to work all five days this week. It was well over 100 degrees every afternoon (107 today). I'm definitely ready for a break in the heat.

I enjoy tracking my mileage, but managed to forget a couple of milestones that I reached this summer. I mentioned in my March Guest Blog at the Lungevity Foundation site that, sometime this summer, I expected to reach 24,900 miles (the circumference of the earth) ridden since my lung cancer diagnosis. I then forgot to watch for it, but I now have 26,570 miles since the beginning of 2008, so I have indeed ridden around the world since being diagnosed with lung cancer.

I also didn't notice it when I passed the 10,000 mile mark on my Stratus XP. I now have 12,057 miles on it. That's still less than I have on the Corsa, but it's gaining fast, with all my commuting miles being on it.

2011 days ridden to work: 140
2011 commuting mileage: 3418.3

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #44 - Aug 19th, 2011, 9:10pm

45 mile ride this evening through Flower Mound/Lantana/Double Oak

IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #45 - Aug 20th, 2011, 2:20pm

About 11 miles this morning in mall area and went picked up Spark 3.0 USB rechargeable headlight and SPARK 4.0 tail light (A LOT OF LIGHT OUT OF SUCH A LITTLE FLASHLIGHT)
Tomorrow packet pickup for the Cowtown Classic at Granbury Bicycles,Inc. I hope to see some of ya at the Sep 10 ride. Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
bobcat377

rbent member

Reply #46 - Aug 20th, 2011, 4:00pm

60 miles early at Benbrook.  Left at 6 with lights and finished at 9:40.  Averaged 17.2.  Good month as I have at least a 100k every week.  Waiting for fall for longer rides.

Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #47 - Aug 20th, 2011, 4:05pm

Quote from bobcat377 on Aug 20th, 2011, 4:00pm:
60 miles early at Benbrook.  Left at 6 with lights and finished at 9:40.  Averaged 17.2.  Good month as I have at least a 100k every week.  Waiting for fall for longer rides.

I usually roll out bout that same time, I'll be starting out in Oakmount Pak hopefully by 6:30 but no way can I avg those speeds, way to go.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #48 - Aug 20th, 2011, 10:29pm

Did the 7AM version of the Airport Ride, but just an out and back for 44 miles...  banged my heel on my trash dumpster a few days ago, and it's still sore....

bobcat377

rbent member

Reply #49 - Aug 21st, 2011, 11:15am

Followed up my 60 miler yesterday with 25 today.  Chased a strong tri rider and never caught him.  A ton of riders at Benbrook. Maybe folks are getting ready for Wichita Falls.

Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #50 - Aug 21st, 2011, 11:41am

56 miles up through Flower Mound/Argyle, I need more work on those hills.

Tons of cyclists out this morning

IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #51 - Aug 21st, 2011, 12:14pm

14 miles with my 9 year old grandson now. That kid needs a new bike.  this is getting expensive.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Brad Bedell

rbent member

Reply #52 - Aug 21st, 2011, 1:04pm

Quote from mleuck on Aug 21st, 2011, 11:41am:
56 miles up through Flower Mound/Argyle, I need more work on those hills.

Tons of cyclists out this morning

Good to see you out there.    I'll let you guess which one of the uprights that said hi was me.  I might have to coordinate a ride with you at some point, you ride within 1/8 mile of my house every time you do the FM/Argyle route.

In fact, there were lots of 'bents on the airport loop.  Even saw PB.    

IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #53 - Aug 21st, 2011, 2:22pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Aug 21st, 2011, 12:14pm:
14 miles with my 9 year old grandson now. That kid needs a new bike.  this is getting expensive.

Hey John, build him a recumbent.

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #54 - Aug 21st, 2011, 3:24pm

Got 10 1/4 in today including riding over to get my ride pkt for the Sep.10 fun ride.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #55 - Aug 21st, 2011, 3:56pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Aug 21st, 2011, 12:14pm:

Smiley It can't get any better than that John. I can only hope to have a grandson some day that I can enjoy a ride with. I'm an uncle many times over b ut all those live far away. Hope you get to enjoy many more rides like that.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #56 - Aug 21st, 2011, 4:15pm

28 miles today at WRL watching Jay keep from running over joggers and cyclists.   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #57 - Aug 21st, 2011, 4:26pm

Quote:
I can only hope to have a grandson some day

I have 9 others that I didn't get to ride with and now they are all grown up.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #58 - Aug 21st, 2011, 4:40pm

22 miles this weekend between 3 trips to church, all of which had at least one leg with temperature over 100F I had a 20 mile trip that rubbed the skin off my backside from riding in sweat-soaked underwear with the temperature over 100 on the way back from a car dealer... That was Wednesday. Still feeling the effects of that ride Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2011, 4:41pm by Opus the Poet »  

Email WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #59 - Aug 21st, 2011, 4:52pm

Forty-one miles, today, at WRL. Rode with Grady B. and Tony W. Lots of DF riders at 9:00 AM. As it got hotter, most of them disappeared. Took my new mail order high racer on its maiden voyage. Cheapest high-performance recumbent with decent-quality components I've ever purchased. It was discounted 20%, shipping was free, and there was no sales tax.  Smiley  Didn't get to see what it can really do, because I wasn't feeling up to par today. But, the impression I get is that its not going to be as fast as my Musashi, even though the seat angle is 12 degrees lower than the Musashi's and the seat to BB height difference is the same. Glad I was riding a bike with disk brakes. At the Southeast corner of the Lake a runner wearing headphones stepped onto, and crossed the Path right in front of me (I was sounding my bell as I approached). Missed him. Thirty seconds later a roadie in the opposite lane lost control of his bike, almost went down in my lane, recovered, and went into the grass to my right. Had enough braking power to keep from hitting him.  

My New Ride: Performer 26 High Racer From Boomer Bents & Bikes

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #60 - Aug 21st, 2011, 5:34pm

I joined Mark and Diane, who were on their tandem, and rode my Peachy Keene 200K permanent this morning. We started out at 5:00 am so we wouldn’t be riding too many hours after it reached 100 degrees this afternoon.

My legs really had nothing early, a result of riding to work all five days this week, I guess. But I got stronger as the day went, and didn’t need my granny chainring for Orphan Hill at mile 70. That only happens on days when I’m feeling pretty good.

We ended up finishing just before 2:30 this afternoon. I ended up with 124.5 miles. Total time was 9:28. It had gotten seriously hot by the time we finished, but the early start kept us from getting cooked too many hours, and Mark and Diane were great company as always, so it was a good ride.

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2011, 5:35pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #61 - Aug 21st, 2011, 8:51pm

I wanna have Jay's bike stable when I grow up....     Smiley

johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #62 - Aug 21st, 2011, 8:59pm

Due to Actionbent's demise...is Jay now the new Performance distibutor?

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #63 - Aug 21st, 2011, 9:18pm

I heard rumors that he was starting up a recumbent bike rental shop on the lake...... don't know if that is true but it is what i heard.

Email   IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #64 - Aug 21st, 2011, 10:31pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 21st, 2011, 8:51pm:

Me TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Smiley

Ric Clark

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #65 - Aug 21st, 2011, 10:44pm

Summer's over for me, (sniff, sniff!).  Still no car.  No problem.  McKinney -- Irving Express pressed into service:  43.37 miles at 2:16 a.m. with a (for here) balmy 87 degrees was just a slice of Heaven I didn't want to end.  On the way back, 107 deg., on Dallas and Richardson peanut brittle concrete which flatted me three times, and exhausted my fixit supply.  Called for a SAG.  2,000 summer miles and no flats.  

Today's commute to Inwood and NW Hwy was like a vacation in comparison....er...except for the motoron Southbound at Spring Valley and Central.  He's behind me as the light turns green.  Everyone else is gone.  He stays behind, I wave him on, he won't come around, so I come to full halt.  He jams to a screeching halt to intimidate, so I got out of the trike and pulled out the pistol.  He gets out, "What am I supposed to do with you in the middle of the road?!"  >>"Go around me.  You don't just hang in back of a bike."  >>"Oh, I have something in the trunk that's more powerful than that, I guarantee you that!"
While I look for the iPhone, he takes off.  
That's why I record my rides.  Didn't happen to have it on then, but I did report the guy to police down the street.  He said the guy will get a visit from them, and gave me an incident # to find out how it went.   One day, motorists won't have the upper hand at the incident.  However that works out, I truly believe that.  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #66 - Aug 23rd, 2011, 5:00pm

You should have spoken sooner, as I've already willed my cycles to another RBENT member.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #67 - Aug 23rd, 2011, 5:08pm

Quote from johnnybent on Aug 21st, 2011, 8:59pm:
Due to Actionbent's demise...is Jay now the new Performance distibutor?

The only thing I've distributed lately is money to Performer's real rep.  Smiley  Speaking of Performer, when are we going to see you riding your red Performer Agenda mid racer? It's having to feel really neglected by now.

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #68 - Aug 23rd, 2011, 6:56pm

Well, I waited for someone to report on the Clown ride today looks like I will. 14 for breakfast and all rode there own pace and distance. Good to see JoEllia ,today, back from surgery.  Smiley GO CLOWNS!!!

IP Logged
maylor

rbent member

Reply #69 - Aug 23rd, 2011, 7:22pm

Quote from kenbent6 on Aug 23rd, 2011, 6:56pm:
Well, I waited for someone to report on the Clown ride today looks like I will. 14 for breakfast and all rode there own pace and distance. Good to see JoEllia ,today, back from surgery.  Smiley GO CLOWNS!!!

Ken your the man!!!

Glad Joella is doing good.

Catrike Road
Email   IP Logged
LightningPilot

Reply #70 - Aug 23rd, 2011, 8:42pm

Quote from Action Lad on Aug 21st, 2011, 10:44pm:
Summer's over for me, (sniff, sniff!).  Still no car.  No problem.  McKinney -- Irving Express pressed into service:  43.37 miles at 2:16 a.m. with a (for here) balmy 87 degrees was just a slice of Heaven I didn't want to end.  On the way back, 107 deg., on Dallas and Richardson peanut brittle concrete which flatted me three times, and exhausted my fixit supply.  Called for a SAG.  2,000 summer miles and no flats.  

Today's commute to Inwood and NW Hwy was like a vacation in comparison....er...except for the motoron Southbound at Spring Valley and Central.  He's behind me as the light turns green.  Everyone else is gone.  He stays behind, I wave him on, he won't come around, so I come to full halt.  He jams to a screeching halt to intimidate, so I got out of the trike and pulled out the pistol.  He gets out, "What am I supposed to do with you in the middle of the road?!"  >>"Go around me.  You don't just hang in back of a bike."  >>"Oh, I have something in the trunk that's more powerful than that, I guarantee you that!"
While I look for the iPhone, he takes off.  
That's why I record my rides.  Didn't happen to have it on then, but I did report the guy to police down the street.  He said the guy will get a visit from them, and gave me an incident # to find out how it went.   One day, motorists won't have the upper hand at the incident.  However that works out, I truly believe that.  

Glad you're on our team  Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2011, 8:43pm by LightningPilot »  

Carolyn Trimble
2001 Lightning P38
2005 Lightning P38
2000 Litespeed Ultimate
1988 Hujsak Century
  IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #71 - Aug 23rd, 2011, 9:07pm

Jay has already has willed them to me...he told me that....I swear

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #72 - Aug 23rd, 2011, 9:09pm

Finished 50 mile ride in Flower Mound/Lantana.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #73 - Aug 23rd, 2011, 10:06pm

Late start at Poteet again, doing 22.5 miles solo down to Hwy 80 and back the same route as out, wearing the TiM cooling vest....  This summer is wreaking havoc on road surfaces, creating all kinds of new cracks to watch out for...

Bud_Bent

Reply #74 - Aug 24th, 2011, 7:58pm

I rode to work Monday, yesterday, and today. It was some seriously hot afternoons again (107 today). I was on tired legs Monday and yesterday from the 200K on Sunday.

It's a short commute week for me this week. I'm taking tomorrow and Friday off the bike, resting for HHH on Saturday.

2011 days ridden to work: 143
2011 commuting mileage: 3491.8

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #75 - Aug 24th, 2011, 9:35pm

I had a strange one today, went to White Rock expecting a 3 or 4 lap ride in 105 degree heat...

While unloading the bike a strong wind dropped the temp down to 85...

While doing the first lap it started raining on the south side dropping the temp to 75...

Rain hung around all through lap 1 but cleared up and I did another 3, kinda fun

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #76 - Aug 25th, 2011, 9:06pm

Finished 40 mile ride around Grapevine/DFW Airport, NOW I'm ready for HHH!

IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #77 - Aug 25th, 2011, 9:59pm

yesterday (8/24) headed up to the PBA Celebration ride for a change of pace. Temperature was hanging at 106° while I was getting ready. Suddenly a strong gust front and a load of dust slammed us from the east - no rain, but the temp dropped 10° immediately and another 10° during the ride. This was not a fast ride - Plano out to Celebration Park in Allen, a couple laps of the loop, and back to Plano - but it was a fun change of pace for me - avg 17.4; 672 ft climb; 31.6 miles. First time doing this ride in 3 years - new scenery; new faces!

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2011, 10:02pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #78 - Aug 25th, 2011, 10:01pm

Today, had planned on STCC (Shawnee Trail Cycle Club in Frisco) but didn't get away from work in time. Instead, I headed down to Poteet HS in Mesquite to do a ride I hadn't done since I first started riding recumbent. I was shocked at how easy the hills were down there, this time, as opposed to the last time I'd done this ride. It was alot of fun. I'll be doing this one during the next couple of weeks, i think. Bonus - it's close to home!
AVG 18.5 / climb 885 ft / 30.7 mi

Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #79 - Aug 26th, 2011, 8:37am

I was only able to get in 3 early morning rides for abt 20 miles.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
bobcat377

rbent member

Reply #80 - Aug 26th, 2011, 11:08am

Rolled out at 5:15 a.m.  80.24 miles @ 16.7 mph.  I think I am getting my legs back.  Hope to break into the 17-18 mph range for a 100 miles.  Need a little more work plus not riding with lights.

Email   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #81 - Aug 28th, 2011, 8:25pm

yup!   SmileyRode twice- First we went to the Paris Civic Center and rode around there, my husband on his Sun and me on my Schwinn.  He can't ride too far or long yet so doing 2  1/2 miles is good  and improving from just 1/2 mile at a time. I later rode this evening around the neighborhoods on both sides of the highway where there are some slight up and down hills and some that are a little steeper...the mileage shows I  did about 11 miles.  I really need to get my own bent trike--- mainly because my feet barely touch the pedals and I need a padded pillow behind me to help me reach the pedals.  Yes, we move the seat as far forward as it will go.  Smiley

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #82 - Aug 28th, 2011, 11:36pm

Demonstrated how to ride in the heat for my church today. I don't know how you guys do it, but I did my 7 miles today in 105F by hydrating and staying within my limits as a rider and not riding harder than my body could reject the heat. Funny thing is I only lost about.5 MPH off my average speed between the 80F days and the 100+F days. Anyway 16 miles for the weekend of just going places I had to go and doing things I had to do.

Email WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #83 - Aug 29th, 2011, 7:37am

Got early start and rode the long route past Baylor Hospital at the start for total of 21 miles. The accumulated effects of constant hot days is getting to me, so Mon not even poking my head out the door.It's tough enough for a healthy person out there but you add fighting physical disability and meds all day long and the heat factor seems to multiply its fatigue factor. Hope everyone heeds the heat warnings, wouldn't want to read about any of the rbenters in the obit section of the paper.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #84 - Aug 29th, 2011, 11:20am

Me and Keith rode the lake today 9.75 miles. Halfway around the lake we got rained on and it was a cold rain tooo. Felt real good. We saw Kenny on the lake with his kayak..I hollerd at hime but he couldn't hear me..

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
bobcat377

rbent member

Reply #85 - Aug 30th, 2011, 2:29pm

Rolled out before leaving for work and got 21 miles in.  Really pretty at Lake Benbrook except for the low water levels.  I have lived by Lake Benbrook for 20 years and never seen it this low.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #86 - Aug 30th, 2011, 5:00pm

Got in 53 miles on the Clown ride. Ten riders today. After 3-1/2 laps, 6 of us peeled off and went up the White Rock Trail. Didn't get our ice cream fix at the Tennis Center, because it was closed.  Sad  The three of us that came back down the Trail were in a weakened state (no ice cream in our stomachs). Larry K on his recently purchased Bacchetta Corsa and I on my classic Musashi had fun racing on West Lawther. On our second lap, when I was still fresh, outran a young roadie riding at 24+ mph on West Lawther. Oh the shame - passed by a septuagenarian on a recumbent.  Smiley  Today, Bob M's brand new, red RANS Formula LE with sparkle clear-coat finish made its first appearance on a Clown ride.

Bob M. on his new Formula LE. In background is Carolyn T. on her P-38 and Victor D. on his new RANS SXP.

Email   IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #87 - Aug 30th, 2011, 8:33pm

Quote from jayg on Aug 30th, 2011, 5:00pm:
Got in 53 miles on the Clown ride. Ten riders today. After 3-1/2 laps, 6 of us peeled off and went up the White Rock Trail. Didn't get our ice cream fix at the Tennis Center, because it was closed.  Sad  The three of us that came back down the Trail were in a weakened state (no ice cream in our stomachs). Larry K on his recently purchased Bacchetta Corsa and I on my classic Musashi had fun racing on West Lawther. On our second lap, when I was still fresh, outran a young roadie riding at 24+ mph on West Lawther. Oh the shame - passed by a septuagenarian on a recumbent.

Way to go Jay...... Smiley Smiley Smiley

Ric Clark

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #88 - Aug 31st, 2011, 10:26pm

A little over 9 miles going to the grocery store and the "party". It was a little cooler out there but still too hot.

Email WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #89 - Sep 1st, 2011, 7:24pm

Rode 53 miles on the Clown Ride, today. Ten for breakfast at Barbec's and nine riders. After doing WRL laps, six riders went up the White Rock Trail. We were pleasantly surprised to see that the Tennis Center was open for a wealthy matron's tournament (Lexis', Cadillacs, Mercedes', BMWs, etc. , everywhere). Ice cream on a stick was enjoyed by all. John S. had delicious Richardson ice water waiting in his car for the three riders that accompanied him to Anderson Bonner Park at IH 635. Three of us returned to the lower Winfrey Point parking lot at WRL, ate lunch under a tree, and discussed bike things. Larry K. has gone into high gear, since he acquired his Bacchetta Corsa, so he and I ramped it up a little bit, today. My computer registered a 16.1 mph average (my highest on a Clown Ride) and a 29.4 mph top speed. Gave my recently-modified Baron a good test, today. Changed the stock 9-speed drivetrain to close-ratio 10-speed. I can say that this modification has improved the rideability of the bike, but it is still not any faster than my close-ratio 10-speed Musashi. I still feel the Musashi is easier to crank at 21 mph, and above, and it accelerates faster, due to its lower weight and lighter wheels.

« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2011, 7:33pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #90 - Sep 1st, 2011, 10:30pm

Did the Mesquite / Sunnyvale ride twice this week. Rode over with Stephen Hazleton from his house near Duck Creek and joined the ride, both Tuesday and Thursday (today).  

Tuesday Stephen was going for 1000+ miles for the month so we did the full loop, all the way down to I-20. We had our headlights, so no problem with the extra miles. Even so, we finished at 8:30 PM, barely into darkness.  

I had a 17.6 avg for 45.6 miles and 1479 ft of climbing - very enjoyable ride.

Today we did the loop everyone else did - down to Berry and back up. But with the commute miles, we had 39.6 miles total and finished before darkness set in. Thanks to light wind and feeling fresh (because I skipped riding yesterday) I rode with the fast guys until we reached the shade just south of Hwy 80. There I waited for Stephen, Ed, and Dale to catch up and rode with them off an on back to Poteet.
Today's avg was 18.8 with 1270 ft of climbing. Enjoyed watermelon with Stephen after the ride!

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #91 - Sep 2nd, 2011, 4:47pm

I rode to work all 5 days this week. I was on tired legs most of the week from HHH last Saturday. The older I get, the longer it seems to take me to recover from an effort like that.  

It was another week of hot afternoon rides home, plus a strong south wind to pedal against all week, except this afternoon. I'll be off the bike all weekend. Rose and I are going to San Antonio and do the tourist thing. They say there's a big cold front coming. It's only supposed to be 90 degrees by Tuesday. May need my jacket for the commute.

2011 days ridden to work: 148
2011 commuting mileage: 3614.4

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2011, 4:48pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #92 - Sep 3rd, 2011, 2:21pm

If you were out riding this morning, you know how nice it was to not feel well done by 9am. I enjoyed 23 miles on the TT starting at sunrise and rode a big loop around the parks and trail. saw 2 delta trikes and one tadpole while out. also a guy had to use my air pump cause he said his was broke and he didn't find out till he needed it. dohooo! Tongue I pray none here are "that guy"  Smiley this dude was riding a bike that the wheels were worth morte than my whole bike and not only was his pump "broke"(I never saw it) when I handed him my Topeak he didn't know which end of tghe pump to put the valve into. Smiley so sad. I hope he made it to his car ok.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #93 - Sep 3rd, 2011, 5:14pm

Six RBENTers met at the Robinwood Baptist Church in Seagoville and headed out for the Lancaster Airport a little after 8:00 AM this morning to attend the Commenorative Air Force air show. On a Kenny J. organized ride we know we are going to experience dog attacks. On the way to the airport most of the dogs were behind fences. The few loose dogs that gave chase were easily dispached by our air horns. Kind of disappointing, as I was looking forward to the challenge of trying to outrun the dogs.  Smiley  Kenny's famous "Valley of the Dogs" did not live up to its name. As we were nearing the airport, we were treated to a P-51 Mustang fly-over, and high-speed pass and landing at the airport (A treat for me at least). We parked our bikes along a fence, near the classic auto display. Noticed several people looking at our bike display. A number of people questioned us about our bikes and some took pictures. When we first arrived, we heard music to our ears: "The homemade ice cream stand is open". Eating ice cream was our first order of business. Sure was good.  Smiley  We spend a couple of hours looking at the classic autos and static aircraft on display, aircraft fly-bys, and then packed it up and headed for Seagoville. On the way back it looked like we were going to be attacked by a pack of vicious-sounding Chihuahuas, but they didn't make it up onto the road. Must have worn themselves out running all that way on their little short legs.  Smiley  Thirty-three total miles. Thanks, Kenny, for organizing another enjoyable ride.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #94 - Sep 3rd, 2011, 8:33pm

yes, it was cooler and I tried the other direction on our road which is uphill and I was able to do it without much problem...only went 1 mile each way ---on the way down with peddling got almost up to 15 mph...weeeee!!!!  and then around the neighborhood a little.  Yes, I know this short  distance probably has most of you guffawing, but I was told by the doctor that I need both hips replaced.  Then my hubby rode his little half mile around the block.  

Susan of Paris TX

Email WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #95 - Sep 3rd, 2011, 8:41pm

Quote from esbee on Sep 3rd, 2011, 8:33pm:
yes, it was cooler and I tried the other direction on our road which is uphill and I was able to do it without much problem...only went 1 mile each way ---on the way down with peddling got almost up to 15 mph...weeeee!!!!  and then around the neighborhood a little.  Yes, I know this short  distance probably has most of you guffawing, but I was told by the doctor that I need both hips replaced.  Then my hubby rode his little half mile around the block.

Susan of Paris TX

Susan, evvery pedal stroke is a victory for us for sure. There is no short or long ride on the bents, it's simply "The Ride" enjoy. Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #96 - Sep 3rd, 2011, 10:29pm

Did the Denison TX 2 FLags 216k today. I was the only who chose this "short" option. Everyone else had chosen anywhere from 300k to 1000k. Since I was alone, means I got to ride it my way - fastest pace I could manage, long or short breaks - no complaints from anyone; frequency of breaks - my choice. It was a good ride! 135 miles; 18.5 avg; 2539 climbing. Most of ride in Texas; some in Oklahoma.

Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #97 - Sep 4th, 2011, 11:15am

Quote from square_corners on Sep 3rd, 2011, 10:29pm:
Did the Denison TX 2 FLags 216k today. I was the only who chose this "short" option. Everyone else had chosen anywhere from 300k to 1000k. Since I was alone, means I got to ride it my way - fastest pace I could manage, long or short breaks - no complaints from anyone; frequency of breaks - my choice. It was a good ride! 135 miles; 18.5 avg; 2539 climbing. Most of ride in Texas; some in Oklahoma.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smileynuff said

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #98 - Sep 4th, 2011, 1:35pm

46 miles at WRL this morning with Jay...... stiff North wind made West Lawther no fun.  All the roadies disappeared when the wind picked up and it got a little bit warmer this morning.  Wonder where they all went  Smiley

Edit: just looked at the weather - 30 mph wind gusting to 40 explains why West Lawther was such a struggle today.

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2011, 1:37pm by TonyWard »  

Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #99 - Sep 4th, 2011, 2:19pm

52 miles to Flower Mound/Argyle/Highland Village.

IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #100 - Sep 4th, 2011, 6:02pm

24 miles over the weekend. The ride to church this morning was glorious with temperatures in the 80s and a tailwind that added 2 MPH to my normal average speed on the church run. And I felt so good coming back that I kept almost a full 1 MPH of that gain.

Email WWW   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #101 - Sep 4th, 2011, 7:04pm

took a ride on the Trail de Paris ===tried something different, took the dog and bent...i walked the dog while my husband rode as far as he was able about 1 1/2 miles, then we traded...i rode on the trail but there were lots of cracks in the tar due to heat so i went through the Morningside to Wal-mart, called my hubby to pick me up there but remembered I had the truck keys, so I turned around and biked all the way back, probably 8 miles round trip.  Lots of fun though and nice with cooler temps.  Smiley

I am planning our anniversary getaway with our  bent to White Rock Lake in Dallas.  We can fit it in the back of our Toyota Rav 4. Does anyone know if this is a fairly safe area to ride (muggers, car break-ins, etc.)?  Any suggestions or tips would be welcomed.  

Susan  
Paris TX

Email WWW   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #102 - Sep 4th, 2011, 8:55pm

Quote from esbee on Sep 4th, 2011, 7:04pm:
took a ride on the Trail de Paris ===tried something different, took the dog and bent...i walked the dog while my husband rode as far as he was able about 1 1/2 miles, then we traded...i rode on the trail but there were lots of cracks in the tar due to heat so i went through the Morningside to Wal-mart, called my hubby to pick me up there but remembered I had the truck keys, so I turned around and biked all the way back, probably 8 miles round trip.  Lots of fun though and nice with cooler temps.  Smiley

I am planning our anniversary getaway with our  bent to White Rock Lake in Dallas.  We can fit it in the back of our Toyota Rav 4. Does anyone know if this is a fairly safe area to ride (muggers, car break-ins, etc.)?  Any suggestions or tips would be welcomed.

Susan
Paris TX

Susan, Let us know when you 2 will be comming to White Rock and some of the Clowns can keep you company.

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #103 - Sep 5th, 2011, 1:44pm

55 miles through Flower Mound/Argyle/Highland Village. If anyone lives in that area they finished construction on Orchid Hill Lane making it easier to get to Highland Village.

IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #104 - Sep 5th, 2011, 2:51pm

1 lap at WRL with kid in tow.  The wind added with that trailer sure made riding into the north wind a challenge.  Wished I could have gotten up on the road - too many people out today enjoying the nice weather.  Kiddo enjoyed it so it made it all worthwhile.  I was glad she wasn't egging me on to race everyone we saw like she usually is.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #105 - Sep 5th, 2011, 3:31pm

Quote from TonyWard on Sep 5th, 2011, 2:51pm:
1 lap at WRL with kid in tow.  The wind added with that trailer sure made riding into the north wind a challenge.  Wished I could have gotten up on the road - too many people out today enjoying the nice weather.  Kiddo enjoyed it so it made it all worthwhile.  I was glad she wasn't egging me on to race everyone we saw like she usually is.

Looked for your car, but didn't see it. John S, Corsa Ken, and I did 2-1/2 laps and then went up the Trail, past IH 635, to where John and Ken parked their cars. I got back to Winfrey Point about 1:40 PM (We started our laps about 8:45 AM). Harrowing riding on the Path with all those pedestrians and inexperienced riders mixed in with the roadies.

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #106 - Sep 5th, 2011, 3:46pm

Quote from jayg on Sep 5th, 2011, 3:31pm:
Quote from TonyWard on Sep 5th, 2011, 2:51pm:

Looked for your car, but didn't see it. John S, Corsa Ken, and I did 2-1/2 laps and then went up the Trail, past IH 635, to where John and Ken parked their cars. I got back to Winfrey Point about 1:40 PM (We started our laps about 8:45 AM). Harrowing riding on the Path with all those pedestrians and inexperienced riders mixed in with the roadies.

Jay, Hope you saved some energy for tomorrows Clown ride. I was at the lake and did one lap, spent most of morning kayaking.. Smiley

IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #107 - Sep 6th, 2011, 4:09pm

I had a pleasant 21 miles yesterday doing some shopping and a run down to the church for a brainstorm session about my upcoming Autumn Equinox service. I actually had some miles in temperatures less than 80F! It was awesome.

Email WWW   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #108 - Sep 6th, 2011, 4:34pm

12 miles this morning before work - saw 2 other riders on part of my route.  I hadn't seen any other riders at 5:45 am all summer long - it sure made my day!

Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #109 - Sep 6th, 2011, 5:19pm

Enjoyed the cool morning and wind was great ,7 today 23 yesterday,hello great weather  Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #110 - Sep 6th, 2011, 6:43pm

Got in some fun riding in Kansas at the RANS rally...  Friday afternoon, Terrie and I took out a Seavo tandem  
(http://www.rans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=2 78) for the simple 10-mile ride around Hays to the ice cream shoppe and back...

Saturday morning, I took her out on a Screamer tandem (http://www.rans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=2 77)  for the 34-mile Cathedral route -- she was able to do the whole route, with only one rest stop, despite having very little bike time over the last couple of years - so that's VERY encouraging!  I had my doubts going in, but I'm very proud of her!

The Seavo is a faster machine, due to the large front wheel and a slightly better power pedaling position for the stoker -- it's also a bit more comfortable for the captain, but there's a bit more heelstrike than on the Screamer that has the 20" front.

Saturday afternoon, I participated in the MTB track races at the factory, riding an Alterra CF -- not much mileage, but racing five times around the 1/3 mile course, I was exhausted...

Sunday morning, I rode the Xstream (while Terrie rode SAG) for the 28-mile Lake Wilson route -- a pretty challenging set of climbs and winds from the north.

Overall, it was a PERFECT weather weekend -- 60s to 80s, what a change from summer!!!

Monday morning after we got back, I joined in the GDB Poteet to Combine 50-miler with about 25 others in the the stiff north winds...   so, it was a ~200K weekend, stretched out over 4 days.  Oh, plus 550 miles each way in the car to Kansas and back.

PB

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2011, 6:46pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Bud_Bent

Reply #111 - Sep 6th, 2011, 9:06pm

This morning's commute to work was my first bike ride since Friday's ride home. I was roasting in the 101 degree heat Friday afternoon. It was 48 degrees this morning. Somewhere, you can look it up and find that the average temperature in north Texas is 65 degrees. What they don't tell you is that it's actually never 65 degrees here; it goes right from 101 degrees to 48 degrees.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #112 - Sep 7th, 2011, 4:54pm

Bud, the "average" temperature for the entire summer was only 87 degrees...

Email WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #113 - Sep 7th, 2011, 6:54pm

Great report Paul, thanks for sharing. Those tandems are cool and if it gets one back on the trail, that's awesome. I cranked out about 7 miles this morning after I did some tweaking on the rear shifter,I hadn't messed with it in nearly 1000 miles so it was fun to play with. I sure could have used an extra arm for a few min in the process, but it worked out ok anyway.

--  
ride log repeat/ Bikejournal.com

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #114 - Sep 9th, 2011, 4:58pm

I've been averaging 30 mi on evening rides all week. Well I got up this morning and thought...i can ride or I could do laundry...well I might be dumb but I aint stupid....so around and around the lake I go plus a little loving hills area...for 104.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #115 - Sep 9th, 2011, 7:33pm

Quote from Opus the Poet on Sep 7th, 2011, 4:54pm:

And as this article points out, was the hottest summer ever endured anywhere in the United States ever (at least since such things have been recorded).

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2011, 7:34pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #116 - Sep 9th, 2011, 8:32pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Sep 9th, 2011, 7:33pm:
Quote from Opus the Poet on Sep 7th, 2011, 4:54pm:

And as this article points out, was the hottest summer ever endured anywhere in the United States ever (at least since such things have been recorded).

so, everyone that ept on riding inspite of the heat can pat themselves on the back for surviving in record heat. Now everyone should go ahead and get a catscan.  Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #117 - Sep 9th, 2011, 9:07pm

I was off Monday for the holiday, but rode to work the next 4 days. The last two afternoon rides home, it has been 87 degrees, and after all the 100+ degree temperatures this year, that doesn't feel hot at all.

In spite of the record heat and the fact that I'm a 60 year old lung cancer survivor, I rode 827 miles in June, 840 miles in July, and 790 miles in August, so I think I did well this summer.

2011 days ridden to work: 152
2011 commuting mileage: 3712.5

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2011, 9:28pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #118 - Sep 10th, 2011, 8:01am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Sep 9th, 2011, 9:07pm:
I was off Monday for the holiday, but rode to work the next 4 days. The last two afternoon rides home, it has been 87 degrees, and after all the 100+ degree temperatures this year, that doesn't feel hot at all.

In spite of the record heat and the fact that I'm a 60 year old lung cancer survivor, I rode 827 miles in June, 840 miles in July, and 790 miles in August, so I think I did well this summer.

2011 days ridden to work: 152
2011 commuting mileage: 3712.5

Yes Sir you did....

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #119 - Sep 10th, 2011, 8:31pm

Commuted to the east side ride this morning - about 5 miles from the finish of the ride, someone had a fl@t.  After it was changed and we started to roll again, I discovered my rear tire had flatted as well.  We did a quick inspection and couldn't find anything in the tire, threw my spare tube in and got back on the road.  No more than 1 mile later I hear something........I had my fingers crossed that it was Jay's freewheel.......it wasn't.  I fl@tted again.   Smiley  Luckily Jay is a speed demon and he was able to chase the group down and they came back to my rescue with a patch kit (which I thought I had in my bag but didn't)  John tracked down what we thought was the issue with some faulty rim tape and did a fix in the field that let me manage to finish the ride.  Have I mentioned how much I enjoy riding with this good group of people ( including RBENTer's Jay, RichardR, & Carolyn who sent her husband back in his truck in case I needed a sag)!  Luckily the ride ends next to PCF so I could go in and get some new rim tape, patch kit, extra tubes & CO2 cartridges.  $40 later I was walking out the door - stuff sure seems to add up fast huh?  Rode over to Potbelly's for lunch with the group.  Having 60 miles in on a planned 100 mile day I didn't let the previous day's issues put a damper on such a beautiful day.  Filled up my bottles after lunch and zig zagged through Richardson to WRT and headed down to the lake for a lap.  Then found my way North back up to Miller and headed east across Dallas & Garland to Rowlett.  I am glad to report that in the entire ride I didn't run across a single aggresive/hostile driver.  In fact I stopped at the 7-11 next to the lake and had a car full of teenagers tell me to go ahead b/c they wanted to see how I rode my Corsa.  They were out crusing the lake and gave a little honk goodbye when they passed me on the west side.   It sure is refreshing to run into someone like that rather than someone who just gets behind you and lays on the horn.  

Finished with 100.4 miles and felt great at the end.  During my first century last year at HHH I struggled from mile 80-100 so I sure had a big mental block that I couldn't ride that far again.  It was great to overcome that mental hurdle.    It was a long day - rolled out of my drive way at 6:45 am and rolled in about 5:15 but I had a blast!!!

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #120 - Sep 10th, 2011, 9:22pm

Quote from TonyWard on Sep 10th, 2011, 8:31pm:
Commuted to the east side ride this morning - about 5 miles from the finish of the ride, someone had a fl@t.  After it was changed and we started to roll again, I discovered my rear tire had flatted as well.  We did a quick inspection and couldn't find anything in the tire, threw my spare tube in and got back on the road.  No more than 1 mile later I hear something........I had my fingers crossed that it was Jay's freewheel.......it wasn't.  I fl@tted again.   Smiley  Luckily Jay is a speed demon and he was able to chase the group down and they came back to my rescue with a patch kit (which I thought I had in my bag but didn't)  John tracked down what we thought was the issue with some faulty rim tape and did a fix in the field that let me manage to finish the ride.  Have I mentioned how much I enjoy riding with this good group of people ( including RBENTer's Jay, RichardR, & Carolyn who sent her husband back in his truck in case I needed a sag)!  Luckily the ride ends next to PCF so I could go in and get some new rim tape, patch kit, extra tubes & CO2 cartridges.  $40 later I was walking out the door - stuff sure seems to add up fast huh?  Rode over to Potbelly's for lunch with the group.  Having 60 miles in on a planned 100 mile day I didn't let the previous day's issues put a damper on such a beautiful day.  Filled up my bottles after lunch and zig zagged through Richardson to WRT and headed down to the lake for a lap.  Then found my way North back up to Miller and headed east across Dallas & Garland to Rowlett.  I am glad to report that in the entire ride I didn't run across a single aggresive/hostile driver.  In fact I stopped at the 7-11 next to the lake and had a car full of teenagers tell me to go ahead b/c they wanted to see how I rode my Corsa.  They were out crusing the lake and gave a little honk goodbye when they passed me on the west side.   It sure is refreshing to run into someone like that rather than someone who just gets behind you and lays on the horn.  

Finished with 100.4 miles and felt great at the end.  During my first century last year at HHH I struggled from mile 80-100 so I sure had a big mental block that I couldn't ride that far again.  It was great to overcome that mental hurdle.    It was a long day - rolled out of my drive way at 6:45 am and rolled in about 5:15 but I had a blast!!!

While Tony and I were in PCF, we were approached by one of the customers concerning a low mileage Bacchetta he had for sale. We recommended he join RBENT and advertise it under "Marketplace". He said it was blue and had two 26" wheels (an older Giro 26?). Also, Sales Manager, Greg, approached me and said he had a customer that wanted to sell a CA 2.0. I recommended that it too be advertised on RBENT. So, maybe these bikes will be advertised soon (or maybe not).  

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #121 - Sep 10th, 2011, 9:45pm

Terrie and I rode WRL on Friday, with Dave Rothgeb, and his wife Barb on her Tour Easy he got her from RatRider...  Here's a short video as we were just kinda getting started -- it's only Barb's second time on the bike, and she hasn't done any riding in several years.

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2011, 9:48pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #122 - Sep 11th, 2011, 11:23am

I rode the Velo Venus populaire yesterday with a nice mix of LSR folks as a birthday ride.  I rode my age in miles--then I had to ride two more miles to get back to my car.  What a nice day for a ride!  They ruined the chip seal on the 287 access road, near the start and finish, by covering it with smooth macadam.  But Johnson County countered by putting fresh chip seal on the highway into and out of Venus!  I scared some people on my new bike, but I didn't fall off once!   Smiley

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2011, 11:24am by rmillay »  

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #123 - Sep 11th, 2011, 12:24pm

Did total of 30 miles sat which included 10 miles total tgo and from home to the ride. Dianna and Eddie and Bud all rolled out at 8AM to our chosen routes. Lots of fun,police and volunteers were great ............................
Then rolled out this morning to clear out the legs and ended up riding 16 miles on a nice cool, quiet morning to Oakmount Park then to the TT trailhead at Bellaire.
(http://tinyurl.com/3umbmkv)   Smiley

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2011, 7:52am by jman »  

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #124 - Sep 11th, 2011, 2:59pm

yes we did
went to the trail de paris and my husband is now up to 4.25 miles...he has marathon on his phone and it keeps tabs of milege, speed, elevation and etc.... the thing said he was climbing about half the time.  we saw a TV (turkey vulture) on the trail just standing there while another one hovered overhead...i was able to get real close but could not figure out how to use my cell phone camera (technology does not work for me!) and it kept walking away...i think it was a young one learning to fly...or sick (maybe something it ate) and it eventually flew away.

Hey, I am thinking of entering our trike in the yearly christmas parade (sometime in november)...  If my husband could do the distance, we could dress him up as santa and deck the bike out in lights.  I will probably ride it though...any thoughts on the kind of lights to use?  Smiley

Email WWW   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #125 - Sep 11th, 2011, 3:00pm

forgot to mention---we took pix of our bikes...how do we get them on here?
susan in paris

Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #126 - Sep 11th, 2011, 3:44pm

Quote from esbee on Sep 11th, 2011, 3:00pm:
susan in paris

See this thread.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #127 - Sep 11th, 2011, 3:47pm

Quote from esbee on Sep 11th, 2011, 3:00pm:
susan in paris

Photo uploading instructions are here: http://rbentonline.org/YaBB.pl?num=1262013954

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #128 - Sep 11th, 2011, 4:37pm

I rode the 60 mile route at the Cowtown Classic yesterday. I spoke to Joe, Diane, Eddie, and Mark L before the ride, and saw Mark L again afterwards (great to see y'all!). I like the route this ride uses, but it's not a great route for speed. It's mostly tiny Johnson County roads, with lots of turns, gravel in many of the turns, and some rough stretches of road. I didn't hear how the turnout was, but there looked to be several hundred riders.

I rode to the start of the ride, then home again, so ended up with 69.7 miles. On the ride itself, I had a total of 60.3 miles. I only made one 5 minute stop and finished the ride in 3:21. My on the bike average was 18.4 mph. That's probably about as fast as I can do this route, almost 1 mph faster than I was on it last year.

I pedaled about 4 miles on Lake Benbrook this morning.

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2011, 4:55pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #129 - Sep 11th, 2011, 8:37pm

Rode the Musashi 32 miles on the GDB Sunday Roll.  I was the only 'bent, but had a lovely time!  We ended up going to the Dallas Farmer's Market and getting free ice cream samples.  :-D  Yes, I'm still riding the Musashi until I get my frame replaced.  No sign of a fracture at the documented site but I'm inspecting it before each ride...

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #130 - Sep 11th, 2011, 9:20pm

I was out at WRL checking out a trike rider (paul?) at the 7/11 parking lot when a gang of bikers rode by...paul and dave with Teri and Teri? Mixed with them a short whle then went on to get my thirty in. 700 to go.

Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #131 - Sep 11th, 2011, 11:41pm

I have been enjoying the heck out of this weather and riding places I would normally take the bus to. Over 30 miles this week, almost 100 since 9/1

Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #132 - Sep 12th, 2011, 7:02am

Quote from shellbear on Sep 11th, 2011, 8:37pm:
Rode the Musashi 32 miles on the GDB Sunday Roll.  I was the only 'bent, but had a lovely time!  We ended up going to the Dallas Farmer's Market and getting free ice cream samples.  :-D  Yes, I'm still riding the Musashi until I get my frame replaced.  No sign of a fracture at the documented site but I'm inspecting it before each ride...

I'll be on the Sunday Roll next weekend -- been doing other things for the past month!  C'mon back out next week!   I love that ride -- very social, and very exploratory.

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #133 - Sep 12th, 2011, 7:06am

Quote from johnnybent on Sep 11th, 2011, 9:20pm:
I was out at WRL checking out a trike rider (paul?) at the 7/11 parking lot when a gang of bikers rode by...paul and dave with Teri and Teri? Mixed with them a short whle then went on to get my thirty in. 700 to go.

Good to see you out there, John -- yes, Dave and I were doing a "Spouse's Ride", cruising around the lake at about 10mph with the ladies...  as I mentioned a couple of posts ago, Dave's wife Barb is new to her Tour Easy, and we got it better adjusted to her this time, so she had a much better ride.  Still couldn't get up the approach to the Bath House, and struggled to get up the initial uphill approach to the section just after the 7-11, but it'll come with time.  We won't be doing the Loving Hills area anytime soon....

It's nice to have the wives along (every once in a while   Smiley  )

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2011, 7:06am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #134 - Sep 12th, 2011, 5:42pm

I got in 23 miles this morning out to Trinity Park. Came across two ladies on bents shortly after turning off Belaire heading for the Low Level Dam crossover outbound to the park. One was on a red Tour Easy and the other on a fairly new blue EZ3 delta, I told them to check out the rbent site, hope they join us.  Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #135 - Sep 12th, 2011, 9:28pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Sep 11th, 2011, 4:37pm:
I rode the 60 mile route at the Cowtown Classic yesterday. I spoke to Joe, Diane, Eddie, and Mark L before the ride, and saw Mark L again afterwards (great to see y'all!). I like the route this ride uses, but it's not a great route for speed. It's mostly tiny Johnson County roads, with lots of turns, gravel in many of the turns, and some rough stretches of road. I didn't hear how the turnout was, but there looked to be several hundred riders.

I rode to the start of the ride, then home again, so ended up with 69.7 miles. On the ride itself, I had a total of 60.3 miles. I only made one 5 minute stop and finished the ride in 3:21. My on the bike average was 18.4 mph. That's probably about as fast as I can do this route, almost 1 mph faster than I was on it last year.

It's an odd course, can't get much speed on the first third of the route with the turns and rough road but it really screams after that. I finished with a 20.9 average and didn't stop at all, ended up being a decent ride but next year I'll likely do the Pryor Oklahoma DJ Jam ride and look for more dogs to hit

IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #136 - Sep 12th, 2011, 9:45pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 12th, 2011, 7:02am:
Quote from shellbear on Sep 11th, 2011, 8:37pm:

I'll be on the Sunday Roll next weekend -- been doing other things for the past month!  C'mon back out next week!   I love that ride -- very social, and very exploratory.

It's all good, I hadn't been since the last time you and I were out there together several months ago.  Busy summer: two nephews came into the world and I bought a house last month!  I need to ride a bunch in the coming weeks so I hope to see you out there.  Smiley

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #137 - Sep 13th, 2011, 5:55pm

11 miles going to pick up some junk today. Out and back before the heat got too bad.

Email WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #138 - Sep 13th, 2011, 6:23pm

I did a 7 mile ride early so I could miss the century temps, 16 yesterday was fun but I have to take a break wed. to get other stuff done darnit.  Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #139 - Sep 13th, 2011, 6:48pm

Did 42 miles on the Clown Ride. Ten riders showed up today. The City is in the process of replacing the deteriorated asphalt on the Southeast portion of the WRL Path, so we had to negociate two detours. East Lawther will be closed to autos for a period of time, due to Path traffic being routed on to it. So, the lower Winfrey Point parking lot will be inaccessable for a while. Larry K and I experienced carb overload, today. We had ice cream at the Tennis Center on the White Rock Trail, joined Kenny J for carbonated drinks and sandwiches under a tree at the Lake, and then all three of us went to one of Kenny's favorite places, the Dairy-ette on Ferguson Road, for delicious homemade root beer in chilled mugs and tater tots. A young roadie made my day, this afternoon. Saw him approaching from behind on the Northern portion of the Path and poured on the coals to try to keep him from catching me. He pulled along side when I slowed down on the long Path bridge over the Lake and called me a "cheater".  Smiley  I was riding the Carbent with its new Ultremo ZX tires.

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #140 - Sep 16th, 2011, 12:06am

With car still in shop, (since early summer), I am experiencing the carfree life.  I commute back and forth to the storage facility, in Plano, to change and to put the trike away, then walk for about 14 minutes to the train; a 64 estimate.

IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #141 - Sep 16th, 2011, 9:31am

Quote from jayg on Sep 13th, 2011, 6:48pm:
Did 42 miles on the Clown Ride. Ten riders showed up today. The City is in the process of replacing the deteriorated asphalt on the Southeast portion of the WRL Path, so we had to negociate two detours. East Lawther will be closed to autos for a period of time, due to Path traffic being routed on to it. So, the lower Winfrey Point parking lot will be inaccessable for a while. Larry K and I experienced carb overload, today. We had ice cream at the Tennis Center on the White Rock Trail, joined Kenny J for carbonated drinks and sandwiches under a tree at the Lake, and then all three of us went to one of Kenny's favorite places, the Dairy-ette on Ferguson Road, for delicious homemade root beer in chilled mugs and tater tots. A young roadie made my day, this afternoon. Saw him approaching from behind on the Northern portion of the Path and poured on the coals to try to keep him from catching me. He pulled along side when I slowed down on the long Path bridge over the Lake and called me a "cheater".  Smiley  I was riding the Carbent with its new Ultremo ZX tires.    

He was just embarrassed you were kicking his butt Jay Smiley Smiley Smiley

Ric Clark

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #142 - Sep 16th, 2011, 8:06pm

Got in almost 27 miles this morning. I started out intending to do just my little 7 mile mall ride but when I got home the power on the block was out, well no sense sitting in a dark apartment on such a fall like morning, so turned around and headed to the Trinity for about 20 more miles. Past a Bachetta on my way back westy on the trail. It was one of ours cause he called out "hey jman!" Smiley , well my brain was out to lunch and the bent gone before I came out of my ride induced cloud, sorry bout that. I'll pay closser attention next time. I have been known to drift into autopilot on tghe trail and only snap back to rality when I hear a loud "on your left!"  Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #143 - Sep 16th, 2011, 9:57pm

2 miles yesterday, 7 miles in the rain tonight. Interesting thing about riding a bicycle in Garland in the rain, people will move waaayyy over to not pass too close to you, one guy passed in the ditch on the other side of the road and nobody passed closer than over in the next lane. This in a stretch where most drivers figure if the don't hit me it was a safe pass. Smiley I'm not sure what this means but the working theory is if I'm riding a bike in weather they don't even want to be out driving in I might hurt their car if the hit me, or they might get hurt if they make me mad by passing close enough for me to hit them... I don't care what their problem is so lo9ng as they pass with enough clearance to not scare me.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #144 - Sep 17th, 2011, 11:35am

Got off the train in Plano, anticipating the 15 mile ride home, when I noticed it was raining steadily, and it looked like it wasn't going to stop before for quite some time.  Oh well, once I realized I was going to be wet, it wasn't a bad ride at all.  There were, of course, the Lookie Loos who wanted to see the spectacle...now in the wet...who refused to go around me.  
Funny how the trike is so quiet in the wet.  Tracks like I never left the rails.  Got home in a high-average time.  Today's task, to clean the rain-spotted trike, the reason I don't ride in the rain regularly.   Smiley

IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #145 - Sep 17th, 2011, 7:18pm

I rode to work all five days this week. Monday and Tuesday afternoons were both over 100 degrees. Tuesday afternoon was 107 degrees. That’s the hottest that’s ever been recorded here this late in the year. Tuesday was the 70th day of 100+ degree temperatures here, also a record.

Cloud cover on Wednesday kept the temperature under 100, and a front on Thursday cooled it into the 80′s. Hopefully, we’ve seen the last of 100 degrees here this year.

2011 days ridden to work: 157
2011 commuting mileage: 3835.2

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print