Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:20pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? (Read 24823 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Did you ride today?
Reply #105 - Sep 5th, 2011, 3:31pm

Quote from TonyWard on Sep 5th, 2011, 2:51pm:
1 lap at WRL with kid in tow.  The wind added with that trailer sure made riding into the north wind a challenge.  Wished I could have gotten up on the road - too many people out today enjoying the nice weather.  Kiddo enjoyed it so it made it all worthwhile.  I was glad she wasn't egging me on to race everyone we saw like she usually is.

Looked for your car, but didn't see it. John S, Corsa Ken, and I did 2-1/2 laps and then went up the Trail, past IH 635, to where John and Ken parked their cars. I got back to Winfrey Point about 1:40 PM (We started our laps about 8:45 AM). Harrowing riding on the Path with all those pedestrians and inexperienced riders mixed in with the roadies.

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #106 - Sep 5th, 2011, 3:46pm

Quote from jayg on Sep 5th, 2011, 3:31pm:
Quote from TonyWard on Sep 5th, 2011, 2:51pm:
1 lap at WRL with kid in tow.  The wind added with that trailer sure made riding into the north wind a challenge.  Wished I could have gotten up on the road - too many people out today enjoying the nice weather.  Kiddo enjoyed it so it made it all worthwhile.  I was glad she wasn't egging me on to race everyone we saw like she usually is.

Looked for your car, but didn't see it. John S, Corsa Ken, and I did 2-1/2 laps and then went up the Trail, past IH 635, to where John and Ken parked their cars. I got back to Winfrey Point about 1:40 PM (We started our laps about 8:45 AM). Harrowing riding on the Path with all those pedestrians and inexperienced riders mixed in with the roadies.

Jay, Hope you saved some energy for tomorrows Clown ride. I was at the lake and did one lap, spent most of morning kayaking.. Smiley

IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #107 - Sep 6th, 2011, 4:09pm

I had a pleasant 21 miles yesterday doing some shopping and a run down to the church for a brainstorm session about my upcoming Autumn Equinox service. I actually had some miles in temperatures less than 80F! It was awesome.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #108 - Sep 6th, 2011, 4:34pm

12 miles this morning before work - saw 2 other riders on part of my route.  I hadn't seen any other riders at 5:45 am all summer long - it sure made my day!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #109 - Sep 6th, 2011, 5:19pm

Enjoyed the cool morning and wind was great ,7 today 23 yesterday,hello great weather  Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #110 - Sep 6th, 2011, 6:43pm

Got in some fun riding in Kansas at the RANS rally...  Friday afternoon, Terrie and I took out a Seavo tandem  
(http://www.rans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=2 78) for the simple 10-mile ride around Hays to the ice cream shoppe and back...

Saturday morning, I took her out on a Screamer tandem (http://www.rans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=2 77)  for the 34-mile Cathedral route -- she was able to do the whole route, with only one rest stop, despite having very little bike time over the last couple of years - so that's VERY encouraging!  I had my doubts going in, but I'm very proud of her!

The Seavo is a faster machine, due to the large front wheel and a slightly better power pedaling position for the stoker -- it's also a bit more comfortable for the captain, but there's a bit more heelstrike than on the Screamer that has the 20" front.

Saturday afternoon, I participated in the MTB track races at the factory, riding an Alterra CF -- not much mileage, but racing five times around the 1/3 mile course, I was exhausted...

Sunday morning, I rode the Xstream (while Terrie rode SAG) for the 28-mile Lake Wilson route -- a pretty challenging set of climbs and winds from the north.

Overall, it was a PERFECT weather weekend -- 60s to 80s, what a change from summer!!!

Monday morning after we got back, I joined in the GDB Poteet to Combine 50-miler with about 25 others in the the stiff north winds...   so, it was a ~200K weekend, stretched out over 4 days.  Oh, plus 550 miles each way in the car to Kansas and back.

PB

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2011, 6:46pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #111 - Sep 6th, 2011, 9:06pm

This morning's commute to work was my first bike ride since Friday's ride home. I was roasting in the 101 degree heat Friday afternoon. It was 48 degrees this morning. Somewhere, you can look it up and find that the average temperature in north Texas is 65 degrees. What they don't tell you is that it's actually never 65 degrees here; it goes right from 101 degrees to 48 degrees.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #112 - Sep 7th, 2011, 4:54pm

Bud, the "average" temperature for the entire summer was only 87 degrees...

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #113 - Sep 7th, 2011, 6:54pm

Great report Paul, thanks for sharing. Those tandems are cool and if it gets one back on the trail, that's awesome. I cranked out about 7 miles this morning after I did some tweaking on the rear shifter,I hadn't messed with it in nearly 1000 miles so it was fun to play with. I sure could have used an extra arm for a few min in the process, but it worked out ok anyway.

--  
ride log repeat/ Bikejournal.com

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #114 - Sep 9th, 2011, 4:58pm

I've been averaging 30 mi on evening rides all week. Well I got up this morning and thought...i can ride or I could do laundry...well I might be dumb but I aint stupid....so around and around the lake I go plus a little loving hills area...for 104.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #115 - Sep 9th, 2011, 7:33pm

Quote from Opus the Poet on Sep 7th, 2011, 4:54pm:

And as this article points out, was the hottest summer ever endured anywhere in the United States ever (at least since such things have been recorded).

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2011, 7:34pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #116 - Sep 9th, 2011, 8:32pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Sep 9th, 2011, 7:33pm:
Quote from Opus the Poet on Sep 7th, 2011, 4:54pm:

And as this article points out, was the hottest summer ever endured anywhere in the United States ever (at least since such things have been recorded).

so, everyone that ept on riding inspite of the heat can pat themselves on the back for surviving in record heat. Now everyone should go ahead and get a catscan.  Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #117 - Sep 9th, 2011, 9:07pm

I was off Monday for the holiday, but rode to work the next 4 days. The last two afternoon rides home, it has been 87 degrees, and after all the 100+ degree temperatures this year, that doesn't feel hot at all.

In spite of the record heat and the fact that I'm a 60 year old lung cancer survivor, I rode 827 miles in June, 840 miles in July, and 790 miles in August, so I think I did well this summer.

2011 days ridden to work: 152
2011 commuting mileage: 3712.5

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2011, 9:28pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #118 - Sep 10th, 2011, 8:01am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Sep 9th, 2011, 9:07pm:
I was off Monday for the holiday, but rode to work the next 4 days. The last two afternoon rides home, it has been 87 degrees, and after all the 100+ degree temperatures this year, that doesn't feel hot at all.

In spite of the record heat and the fact that I'm a 60 year old lung cancer survivor, I rode 827 miles in June, 840 miles in July, and 790 miles in August, so I think I did well this summer.

2011 days ridden to work: 152
2011 commuting mileage: 3712.5

Yes Sir you did....

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #119 - Sep 10th, 2011, 8:31pm

Commuted to the east side ride this morning - about 5 miles from the finish of the ride, someone had a fl@t.  After it was changed and we started to roll again, I discovered my rear tire had flatted as well.  We did a quick inspection and couldn't find anything in the tire, threw my spare tube in and got back on the road.  No more than 1 mile later I hear something........I had my fingers crossed that it was Jay's freewheel.......it wasn't.  I fl@tted again.   Smiley  Luckily Jay is a speed demon and he was able to chase the group down and they came back to my rescue with a patch kit (which I thought I had in my bag but didn't)  John tracked down what we thought was the issue with some faulty rim tape and did a fix in the field that let me manage to finish the ride.  Have I mentioned how much I enjoy riding with this good group of people ( including RBENTer's Jay, RichardR, & Carolyn who sent her husband back in his truck in case I needed a sag)!  Luckily the ride ends next to PCF so I could go in and get some new rim tape, patch kit, extra tubes & CO2 cartridges.  $40 later I was walking out the door - stuff sure seems to add up fast huh?  Rode over to Potbelly's for lunch with the group.  Having 60 miles in on a planned 100 mile day I didn't let the previous day's issues put a damper on such a beautiful day.  Filled up my bottles after lunch and zig zagged through Richardson to WRT and headed down to the lake for a lap.  Then found my way North back up to Miller and headed east across Dallas & Garland to Rowlett.  I am glad to report that in the entire ride I didn't run across a single aggresive/hostile driver.  In fact I stopped at the 7-11 next to the lake and had a car full of teenagers tell me to go ahead b/c they wanted to see how I rode my Corsa.  They were out crusing the lake and gave a little honk goodbye when they passed me on the west side.   It sure is refreshing to run into someone like that rather than someone who just gets behind you and lays on the horn.  

Finished with 100.4 miles and felt great at the end.  During my first century last year at HHH I struggled from mile 80-100 so I sure had a big mental block that I couldn't ride that far again.  It was great to overcome that mental hurdle.    It was a long day - rolled out of my drive way at 6:45 am and rolled in about 5:15 but I had a blast!!!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print