Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:23pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? (Read 24826 times)
Bud_Bent

Did you ride today?
Aug 7th, 2011, 9:34pm

Over at another forum, someone started a thread with this simple title a while back. That thread is now very long. Lots of people, it seems, don't want to start a new thread for a simple report on a ride, but they don't mind replying to an existing thread with a couple of lines about their ride.

Let's do that here, too. If you have a detailed report to give, please start a new thread, just like always, especially if it's a ride that other rbenters participated in, and will soon be replying to your report. But if you only have a short report and don't want to start a new thread, post it as a reply here.

Even if the answer is no, you didn't ride today, post and tell us about today anyway (why you didn't ride, maybe).

I've restored and locked the old version of this thread. It crashed. Perhaps it just became too long. If you lost a post from the crash and restore, just repost it in this thread. You can read the original "Did you ride today" thread here

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2011, 10:00am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Did you ride today?
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2011, 9:55pm

Well, that's interesting - I posted about 45 minutes ago, I guess I reached it's limit!!!   Cheesy

So, to report -- I did the GDB Sunday Roll this morning, with a few miles to and from -- toasty out there!!!   I put on the slingmesh seat and wore sandals, just for something different.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2011, 11:17pm

Well. 3 1/2 miles today 14 miles yesterday and a burned butt from the bike sitting in the sun while I worked Smiley I got a ride in the back of a pickup today because I had some cargo to haul back that wouldn't fit in a backpack. You know you're acclimated to the heat when a ride that's "only" 91F is comfortable without a water stop. Smiley

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2011, 7:30am

I got in 22miles Sunday mostly on TT. For some reason trail has 3 blocked off areas for 2 weeks now.So far only one of those needs to be closed,only thing the other 2 partitions do is slow riders down and one throws you into traffic with blind spot in to on comming traffic, so be carefull pulling out onto road. That spot is right before you get into Trinity Park zone across from some high rise apts.  where you have to cross over Rogers Rd. and Riverfront Dr.Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2011, 7:40am by jman »  

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2011, 4:48pm

Just 2 laps around white rock today, getting ready for the BIG Clown ride tomorrow!!!  Smiley

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2011, 5:12pm

Quote from kenbent6 on Aug 8th, 2011, 4:48pm:
Just 2 laps around white rock today, getting ready for the BIG Clown ride tomorrow!!!  

"Big" ride? Does that mean you'll be riding up the Trail with us?  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2011, 6:09pm

Did 27 with the Clowns this morning, rode Kenny's bike about a mile, then went and picked up Kathy at the airport.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2011, 7:41pm

Did abt 7 1/2 miles thiis morning before the heat got too much for me.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2011, 7:16am

Early AM ride. Steve an I have been getting out about 5AM to bet the heat. Averaging around 25 miles each day.
On Thursdays we will ride with our local club.

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2011, 7:23am

Evening Mesquite route solo, due to a late arrival -- just did 21 miles down to Hwy 80 and back, but used the TiMountain cooling vest -- it works very nicely...

square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2011, 10:36pm

Well, I don't know that this post for last Saturday is detailed enough - any case, I've never started a new thread so I'll go with what I know.

Sharon and I headed to the area west of Houston to escape the heat and joined 3 other LSR riders and one HR rider for a 300k. Well, it was cooler down south, but still a good bit over 100 and plenty more humid - so mixed results on "escaping the heat". But it does cool off down there when the sun sets - down to the low 70s by mornings. Still this was a pretty slow ride. The heat is the culprit. I didn't have major heat issues but 2 of our group of 5 did. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. There were lots of rolling hills and some great back roads riding. It's been very dry in the area, but very little sign of trees dying off, such as here. The fields and pastures are greener looking there as well. The heat hasn't affected wildlife sightings - we saw lots of deer in the morning. Besides my 2.4 mile roundtrip from the other hotel, I realized at the end that I was very close to 200 miles. I'd already shut off the Garmin, but added 1.17 miles to make it 200. I used the wired backup computer to record the extra. The Garmin was already giving me "low battery" so I didn't turn it back on, I left the Garmin off to maximize available juice for Sunday! That's about the most extra I'd do to register 200, these days, especially when its late and I'm just wanting to get some food and get to bed.  

Sunday our fearless leader wanted some company on his fun "cooldown" Sunday ride. 4 of 5 of us from the previous day were on board with that. With an 8AM start though, we were very quickly enduring some serious heat. I think it was hotter than the previous day, but it was hard to tell on the thermometer as we ducked in and out of cloud shadows on our route, which was an out and back from Brookshire to Alleyton. I did see more sustained sun temperature at 114° than I had the day before. But the best I got on "shade" temp was 105, same as Saturday. We had some serious crosswind too. But I didn't see this as a big issue - it provided the only relief from the sun beating down, besides the intermittent clouds. But it did slow us down even from a slow Saturday. It's called Tacos & BBQ because the turnaround point has a BBQ place on one end of the convenience store and a Taco Bell on the other end. We chose Taco Bell for our lunch. We added 6 extra miles at the end to make the minimum distance (90 miles) for posting to the UMCA century challenge.  

This was one of my more ambitious summer weekends for riding, this year. Thanks to the cooling vest, all day rations of Pediolyte, and topping our fluids off with ice at every stop, it was possible to do this without being overly affected by heat!

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2011, 4:00pm

Nine at Barbec's for breakfast this morning. Eight riders actually did the Clown Ride. We ran across a young man standing on top of one of the guardrails for the Path bridge over the North end of the Lake. He gave us a thumbs up as we passed. The rail is high. If he happened to fall onto the Path, he would have busted his head on the concrete. If he fell feet first or dived into the Lake, he would have gotten a nasty surprise, because it is only about four feet deep and silted in under the bridge (I jumped out of a sailboat one time near the shore in that same area and went up to my waist in mud.). A DPD patrolman on a bike confronted the guy, who told him he was just meditating. Only four of us braved the heat and rode up the WRL Trail. Two rode back (Bob M. and I). I did another loop of the Lake for a total of 53 miles. Clown No. 1 was absent today, trying to get the bike rack hitch on his car fixed.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2011, 4:44pm

I didn't ride to work Monday and I'm taking a day of vacation tomorrow, so I only rode to work 3 days this week. On the way home Tuesday, I rode a couple of miles off my usual route to stop by Performance Bike to pick up an order, and ended up with 29.6 miles.  

I thought today was just going to be another standard 105 degree ride home, but I was mistaken. When I went to leave work, I noticed my front tire was low. I pumped it up and headed for home. As soon as I walked out of the shop, I noticed the dark clouds in the north. I didn't think too much about it. Most of our storms come from the west, so I figured this would stay north of me.  

Just over halfway home, I could tell that front tire was getting low again, so I stopped to pump it up. It was obvious by then that this storm wasn't moving east, it was coming south and gaining on me. I hadn't quite finished pumping the tire up when the 50 mph north wind and dust storm hit.

The south ride down Crowley Road was nice. I would have averaged over 30 mph if I hadn't hit every traffic light red. But when I turned west on FM 1187, I was dealing with a 50 mph crosswind, not that much fun on a faired bike. The storm faded before it reached me and all we got at home was wind and dust. It looks like the cooler air reached DFW Airport early enough to end our streak of 100+ degree days at 40, two short of the record.

2011 days ridden to work: 135
2011 commuting mileage: 3295.8  

Tuesday commute with side trip to Performance Bike.

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2011, 5:32pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Aug 11th, 2011, 6:21pm

Got in my 7miles today early. Sure be glad when it gets cooler again so I can wonder far from home without having to deal with a potential heat stroke Smiley   I use Performance Cycling parking lot as my current swing around back north spot, nice folks there now that I have dealt with them a while. Sure would love to see them carry some bents, like Rans or Bachettas, it would improve the neighborhood Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #14 - Aug 12th, 2011, 7:40am

Did Mesquite again thursday night, enjoying the sub-100 degree temperature...  a group of 7 decided to ride at ~20mph instead of 23-24, so I was able to hang with them for once...  Got in a nice 30 miles.

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print