Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 7th, 2024, 7:28pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bike chains rubbing? (Read 712 times)
esbee

rbent member

bike chains rubbing?
Aug 6th, 2011, 10:21pm

on our new sun delta trike there is a place where the chain passes close by itself ...i think these two are rubbing against eachother as they pass by...the chain did come off as i was riding it the other day but i got off and just slipped it back on...that is when the sound started...so i checked it out and found out i did not get the chain back in place, so i fixed that and it rode fine...have not ridden at all this week due to heat but rode it for a few minutes today and the sound of chains rubbing against eachother is there again...any ideas on what to do?
thanks
Susan in paris tx Smiley

Susan In Paris (Texas, that is!)
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: bike chains rubbing?
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2011, 8:56pm

Try to take a photo of the suspect location -- post it to a public-sharing photo site like Photobucket or Fotki, and put the " [img]" link here in a message so the pic shows up.  See the "how to post photos" post in the top "sticky note" section of the Lobby...

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2011, 8:56pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2011, 8:40pm

i figured it out by looking at a picture of one of these trikes and saw how the chain was in the wrong position making a figure 8, easy fix...thanks for the info

now what is cross-chaining?  Smiley

Susan In Paris (Texas, that is!)
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2011, 4:54pm

Quote from esbee on Aug 12th, 2011, 8:40pm:

....now what is cross-chaining?  Smiley

"Cross-chaining" isn't anything a recumbent rider needs to worry about, unless it's a Front wheel drive 'bent...   It's the term describing being in the opposite extremes of gearing front to back with your chain -- the largest (outside) front chainring and the innermost (low gear) sprocket on the back, or vice versa.  This takes the chain out of the parallel plane of the gear teeth, causing it to pull at an angle, as such.  You lose some power doing this, but you also increase the wear rate on your chain and gear teeth.

On a DF bike, the chainring and rear sprockets are about 18"(?) apart - but on a 'bent, they're about FOUR FEET or more apart - so the angle is reduced greatly.   I drew the angles up and posted it in a prior thread, but it was so long ago I can't find it....   But, like I said, no worries.   Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2011, 5:03pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print