Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Goatneck rally 2011 (Read 1244 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Goatneck rally 2011
Jul 30th, 2011, 4:53pm

Good ride, nice weather (i.e., overcast skies, keeping the temperatures down!!!). I knew we would be riding most of the old Tx Time Trials course backwards, but I didn't know we would also be riding ALL of the CURRENT Tx Time Trials course!!! The loop from the left turn to go down to Brazos Point, all the way into Glen Rose, and back (including the nasty County Line Hill) is that current 26 mile TTTT course.  I was having some nasty flashbacks...    Smiley  

I had borrowed some Spinergy 4-spoke 650 wheels from Dave Rothgeb with 23mm tires as an experiment, and they worked very nicely -- except they were a bit tricky in strong crosswinds on high speed downhills!!!!  But they were easy to keep rolling, and seemed to absorb the chipseal vibration nicely despite the 23mm tires.  And I had no flats  Smiley...   Got a lot of admiring comments from riders about the bike and the wheels...

I'm tired... stopped at rest stops at ~24, ~34, 50, and 62, finished with somewhere around a 16+ average (no computer), getting to the car at 12:20, a bit behind Bud, who only stopped once (!!!!!)...  Mark Leuck passed me within the first couple miles, and was never seen again.

Saw several other 'benters out, some of whom I'd never met before -- I'll post pics later.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Goatneck rally 2011
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2011, 10:27pm

Nice seeing you two again, I think the last time I saw Bud was the 2010 Goatneck. Wasn't as fast this year but it was a great ride.  

Got some video on both of you at www.lifeonabaron.blogspot.com

IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2011, 9:05pm

Good seeing both of you. I only stopped at mile 50, but was a lot slower than last year with just a 16.5 mph average. After never having to use the granny chain ring on this ride last year, I needed it on both County Line Hill and Goatneck Hill this year. I came in just before noon, pretty wiped out.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2011, 9:54pm

Mark, you're in excellent shape these days -- 20mph average on the Goatneck?  Ouch...  Get out there and do some damage at the TTTT this September!!!  It's the Glen Rose loop you just did.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2011, 6:04am

Angie, myself and a bunch of riders from our Flower Mound group rode Goatneck.  While I saw more bents than I've ever seen before, I did not see any of my old buddies.  I was riding my Orbea Orca, so not quite as easy to spot on a DF.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print