Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 7th, 2024, 5:23pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mixed Wheels on an XStream? (Read 3428 times)
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Mixed Wheels on an XStream?
Jul 29th, 2011, 10:52pm

Related to my first post...I just got an Xstream with 650 x 23C tires on it. I know I want to put a 26 inch (559) size wheel on the back so that I can run a cushier tire back there...but is there any pressing reason to change the front to a 559 also? I'm thinking I probably want about 80 psi in the front tire. In terms of carrying spares, would a 26" tube work in a 650 x 23 C tire?

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Mixed Wheels on an XStream?
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2011, 5:18pm

Quote from Tiger_Mike on Jul 29th, 2011, 10:52pm:
In terms of carrying spares, would a 26" tube work in a 650 x 23 C tire?

I've measured the O.D.s of 1.125" x 26" and 650 x 23c tires mounted on 0.96" and 0.76" (X-Stream stock rim) wide rims, respectively, and found them to be approximately the same. For the above rim and tire combinations, it would seem a 1.125 x 26 tube would work as a spare.  

Email   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2011, 6:09pm

Thanks for the input. It confirms what I thought to be true.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2011, 9:59pm

Quote from Tiger_Mike on Jul 29th, 2011, 10:52pm:
Related to my first post...I just got an Xstream with 650 x 23C tires on it. I know I want to put a 26 inch (559) size wheel on the back so that I can run a cushier tire back there...but is there any pressing reason to change the front to a 559 also? I'm thinking I probably want about 80 psi in the front tire. In terms of carrying spares, would a 26" tube work in a 650 x 23 C tire?

The only limitation might be if you wanted to run a 1.1" on the 650 front - it might not fit inside the crown of the brake bridge.  I'm running 559s with a 1.1" Durano on the front, and a 1.25" Fatboy Slick in back, but can't run a 1.25" on the front due to the brake clearance issue.

I just did Goatneck using some borrowed Spinergy 650s with 23mm Conti 2000s -- I thought the chipseal would bother me, but perhaps the Spinergys dampened it out, because I didn't mind it too much.  I was also hesitant to use the 23mm on the rear wheel, since I weigh 225, but it survived as well!!!

I don't believe a 26" tube will work in a 650 -- but you can always try it!!!  And 80psi has been working very nicely for me for the last couple of months, on the 1.1" Durano -- smooths out the chipseal vibration!

« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2011, 10:04pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2011, 6:03am

A 26 inch tube will work fine in a 650C tire. There's less than a half inch difference in diameter between 26 inch and 650C tires.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2011, 5:05pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 1st, 2011, 9:59pm:

I just did Goatneck using some borrowed Spinergy 650s with 23mm Conti 2000s -- I thought the chipseal would bother me, but perhaps the Spinergys dampened it out, because I didn't mind it too much.  I was also hesitant to use the 23mm on the rear wheel, since I weigh 225, but it survived as well!!!

Paul, has Dave been able to have the freewheel and bearings replaced? I owned an identical set of Spinergy 650 carbon wheels, and Dallas Bicycle Works refused to service them for liability reasons. The wheels were discontinued, due to failures and resulting cyclist injuries. See: http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-020/index.html. RBM replaced the front wheel bearings with ill-fitting ones, but could not service the failing freewheel on the rear wheel. Since I don't weigh much, I figured the wheels would be safe for me, and tried to locate parts to do the work myself, but was unsuccessful.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2011, 8:03pm

'preciate the link, Jay... I'll pass it on to Dave...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2011, 9:02pm

Quote from jayg on Aug 2nd, 2011, 5:05pm:

I owned an identical set of Spinergy 650 carbon wheels,

I have said wheels sitting in my garage.  Anyone want them?  There isn't a chance I'd ever put them on the bike after reading some of those accident reports.  Though I did see a few that it sounded to me like the user was being a bit careless.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2011, 11:22am

Quote from TonyWard on Aug 5th, 2011, 9:02pm:

I have said wheels sitting in my garage.  Anyone want them?  There isn't a chance I'd ever put them on the bike after reading some of those accident reports.  Though I did see a few that it sounded to me like the user was being a bit careless.

Tony, since I am in need of a wheel, If no one wants them I can use them. Let me know and I can come over and get them. 214/708-9302.

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2011, 3:53pm

Quote from kenbent6 on Aug 6th, 2011, 11:22am:
Quote from TonyWard on Aug 5th, 2011, 9:02pm:

Tony, since I am in need of a wheel, If no one wants them I can use them. Let me know and I can come over and get them. 214/708-9302.

Kenny, you must like to live dangerously. Be advised that the front wheel ball bearings are not seated in the cones properly (RBM didn't have the proper size bearings when they serviced the wheel) and the freewheel on the rear wheel sounds like it's worn out.  

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2011, 4:45pm

Quote from jayg on Aug 6th, 2011, 3:53pm:
Kenny, you must like to live dangerously. Be advised that the front wheel ball bearings are not seated in the cones properly (RBM didn't have the proper size bearings when they serviced the wheel) and the freewheel on the rear wheel sounds like it's worn out.  

With that being said - they are yours if you want them Kenny.  Maybe we can get together and ride Saturday morning (8/13)?  I'd love to go do one of your routes out in this neck of the woods if you are up for it!  

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2011, 4:46pm by TonyWard »  

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2011, 12:15pm

I don't recall any 650s being reported on the website.  That said, keep up the regular inspections!

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print