Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 7th, 2024, 5:28am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tire replacement (Read 598 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Tire replacement
Jul 19th, 2011, 7:54am

On the Xstream, I run a 1.1" Durano (80 psi) on the front, and a 1.25" Fatboy Slick (100 psi) on the back...  The Fatboy had steadily been developing a significantly "flatter" ride surface, but no threads were showing through, and my BikeJournal log indicated ~3200 miles on the tire - so I swapped it out for a new one.  I was somewhat surprised at the thickness of the main surface that was still left on the old one - it's probably got a good 1000 miles left on it, but I'm going to leave the new one on.  Anybody want/need a used 1.25" 559 as a backup?  I've already got two other used folding tires I carry as spares.

The Durano has ~4000 miles on it so far, and is showing VERY little wear - which isn't unexpected, given the light loading on the front wheel.

I've been VERY pleased with both types of tire...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Tire replacement
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2011, 8:52am

That's a very good tire performance report, thanks for shareing. I hope I get that sort of performance out of the new Conti Sport Contact's front (1 1/8 @ 100psi) and rear (1.3 @ 85psi) They sure changed the ride and performance of the Canto. The orig Kendas were for comfort only and slower performance compared to the more responsive firmer ride of the Conti's. The bigest difference for me at least is in how much better the Conti's perform while climbing some fairly descent % grade climbe to and from Trinty Trails, no way would I ever want to return to the mussy ride of the Kendas.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2011, 10:17am

That's really good mileage on a rear tire!  You didn't experience any of the sidewall separation problems you've had in the past fit the "fatboy" did you?

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2011, 6:54am

Quote from Kwijybow on Jul 19th, 2011, 10:17am:
That's really good mileage on a rear tire!  You didn't experience any of the sidewall separation problems you've had in the past fit the "fatboy" did you?

That was the Specialized 'Pro' 1.0" tire (110psi) that I had the separation problems with -- two straight tires did it, so never again...   I've never had any issues whatsoever with the Fatboy Slick.  Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print