Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 7th, 2024, 3:25am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SRAM 10-sp Cassette Problems (Read 1393 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

SRAM 10-sp Cassette Problems
Jun 22nd, 2011, 9:33pm

My Musashi has a SRAM Rival 10-sp group to include a 1070, 11-32 cassette installed on it. Smoothest shifting cycle I own with this cassette. I prefer a close-ratio cassette, so I installed a SRAM 1070, 12-27. Result - worst shifting bike I own. The chain will not ramp up on the 27T cog, even if I adjust the derailleur limit screw out far enough for the cage to contact the spokes. Thought the problem might be the new  
Velocity rear wheel I recently installed. Installed the 11-32 cassette on the Velocity wheel, and the result was smooth shifting. Since both cassettes are 1070 Series, their designs should be the same. The only conclusion I can come to is the 12-27 cassette is defective. Anybody ever experienced a similar problem?  

I've experienced some shifting problems with cheap cassettes, but this was not a cheap cassette.
I'm going to have to use it as a paperweight, because I shredded the Performance Cycle receipt.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: SRAM 10-sp Cassette Problems
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:34pm

Same everything except ratio...missing spacer?  I had a shifter problem once on a road bike and found the cassette was not tighened enough.

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2011, 5:49am

Did you buy it in the store?  Last time I was in there they told me if you give your personal info you don't need a receipt for returns.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2011, 7:40am

Quote from johnnybent on Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:34pm:
Same everything except ratio...missing spacer?  I had a shifter problem once on a road bike and found the cassette was not tighened enough.  

No spacer was missing. And, I torqued the the cassette lock ring to the recommended torque.  

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2011, 7:44am

They may well have you "in their system" to be able to bring up the purchase on the computer/register....   Worth a shot...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2011, 4:28pm

Quote from TonyWard on Jun 23rd, 2011, 5:49am:
Did you buy it in the store?  Last time I was in there they told me if you give your personal info you don't need a receipt for returns.

Yes, I've purchased a lot of stuff there and am in their computer.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2011, 4:31pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 23rd, 2011, 7:44am:
They may well have you "in their system" to be able to bring up the purchase on the computer/register....   Worth a shot...

I'm in their computer. I'll clean the cassette up, take it back and see what happens.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2011, 4:42pm

Took the cassette back to Performance and was directed to one of their mechanics. I described the problem and he told me the derailleur's B-screw needed to be backed out all the way. He said if I brought the bike in, he would fix the problem "in less than 10 minutes". Not being one that easily accepts defeat, I just went out and installed the cassette, installed the wheel, and backed out the B-screw and adjusted the limit screws and cable barrel on the derailleur. Success!  Smiley  Cassette - not the problem. Home mechanic - the problem.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print