Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 7th, 2024, 1:29am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
water bladder (Read 4964 times)
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Re: water bladder
Reply #15 - Jun 20th, 2011, 9:08pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jun 20th, 2011, 7:28pm:
Amateurs.  Real men put beer in their camelbaks.

and I thought Mark was hard core........................... Smiley

Ric Clark

I will persist until I succeed...

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #16 - Jun 21st, 2011, 8:44pm

I'll try to remember to bring some with me thursday.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Jun 25th, 2011, 4:35pm

Quote from rmillay on Jun 21st, 2011, 8:44pm:
I'll try to remember to bring some with me thursday.

Bob, thanks for bringing me the aluminized insulation. I made a bag out of it to hold my CamelBak bladder. Put it and the bladder in one of my Musashi's side bags, before I rode today's Cow Creek Country Classic ride. I took the bladder out of my refrigerator this morning about 5:45 AM and put it in the insulating bag. At 1:00 PM the water left in the bladder was still a little cool. Would have been even cooler, if I had put some ice in the bladder.  

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #18 - Jun 25th, 2011, 5:01pm

Glad to hear it.  My setup melted the ice by the half way point on our metric, but the water was still cool after 2 1/2 hours on the road.  Added more ice at the half way stop.  It did better than the Polar bottle.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Jun 25th, 2011, 9:28pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jun 19th, 2011, 4:00pm:
If you want to keep the drinks cold, do you put the aluminum side facing in or out?

That was quite the tuff unbottle Bud had.  I thought I'd run over a critter!  

It's counter-intuitive but as a drink cooler the aluminum side faces in. There has to be an air space between the aluminum and the heat source, so the aluminum faces the cold side when the insulation is in contact with the container. To keep the drink warm the aluminum side would face out.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2011, 10:24am

Quote from Opus the Poet on Jun 25th, 2011, 9:28pm:
Quote from aikigreg on Jun 19th, 2011, 4:00pm:
If you want to keep the drinks cold, do you put the aluminum side facing in or out?

That was quite the tuff unbottle Bud had.  I thought I'd run over a critter!  

It's counter-intuitive but as a drink cooler the aluminum side faces in. There has to be an air space between the aluminum and the heat source, so the aluminum faces the cold side when the insulation is in contact with the container. To keep the drink warm the aluminum side would face out.

Reflective surfaces do provide added resisistance to heat transfer when facing an air space that is a part of a composite construction. An example is the "Polar Bottle" which has a 3 mm airspace encapsulating a thin aluminized plastic sheeting with a highly reflective surface facing in. With my bladder insulation there is no air space, because the insulation is in direct contact with the bladder. In addition to heat transfer from the outside, radiation also causes heat gain. In the case of my insulating bag the reflective surface should face the source of radiation, which is from the outside. The insulation I'm using actually has reflective surfaces on both sides. I put the reflective surface in the best condition on the outside.  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print