Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 6th, 2024, 1:30pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aligning Tad type trike front wheels   (Read 3530 times)
Urbinrider

rbent member

Aligning Tad type trike front wheels  
Apr 16th, 2011, 8:16pm

I just traded my Zenetik for a TW Bent Artifice delta trike  and was a little concerned about the alignment. the tires are suppose to be new but it looks like there is some premature wear.  I measured the tow in and the front of the tire was 30" and the rear was 30 1/2"   I have indirect steering so I got out the tape measure and started to check the length of the control rods to see if they were the same length but anyway I set the steering handle bars center and started to adjust the tow in so I have 30 1/8 front and 30 1/4 rear  if any of you trike mechanics  knows better about this stuff please let me know I have messed around with this stuff on some other trikes and it seamed to have worked  I do not want to wear out these tires in the next 500 mi  
Eddie  Smiley

Easy Racer Tour Easy got to love it
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Aligning Tad type trike front wheels  
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2011, 11:05pm

Quote from urbinrider on Apr 16th, 2011, 8:16pm:
I just traded my Zenetik for a TW Bent Artifice delta trike  and was a little concerned about the alignment. the tires are suppose to be new but it looks like there is some premature wear.  I measured the tow in and the front of the tire was 30" and the rear was 30 1/2"   I have indirect steering so I got out the tape measure and started to check the length of the control rods to see if they were the same length but anyway I set the steering handle bars center and started to adjust the tow in so I have 30 1/8 front and 30 1/4 rear  if any of you trike mechanics  knows better about this stuff please let me know I have messed around with this stuff on some other trikes and it seamed to have worked  I do not want to wear out these tires in the next 500 mi  
Eddie  Smiley  

Eddie, I have read posts on the ActionBent Forum from long-time owners of TW-Bents trikes recommending a 0 toe-in. TW-Bents manufactures the Artifice. Why don't you try that setting and see if the handling is OK? The first set of tires on my Catrike "Speed" only lasted 800 miles. The toe-in was greater than the specified 1/16".    

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2011, 9:33pm

Toe-in is for steering wheels.  Does your delta trike steer with the rear wheels?

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2011, 9:57pm

Quote from rmillay on Apr 17th, 2011, 9:33pm:
Toe-in is for steering wheels.  Does your delta trike steer with the rear wheels?

The Artifice is a tadpole trike. See: http://www.twbents.com.tw/HTM/artifice.htm

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2011, 11:16am

Oh.   The description in your post was unclear.  The Cat's have pretty minimal caster, so without a manufacturer's manual I'd start out with the 1/16 inch figure and adjust from there.  Bob M.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2011, 6:29pm

Quote from rmillay on Apr 18th, 2011, 11:16am:
Oh.   The description in your post was unclear.  The Cat's have pretty minimal caster, so without a manufacturer's manual I'd start out with the 1/16 inch figure and adjust from there.  Bob M.

Toe-in disturbs me. When I ride my Catrike "Speed" I think: "This toe-in is slowing me down and scrubbing rubber off my expensive, classic Schwalbe Stelvio tires."  Smiley  

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2011, 8:15pm

Jay, you can loan me that trike anytime you decide it's not speedy enough for you!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2011, 8:48pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 19th, 2011, 8:15pm:
Jay, you can loan me that trike anytime you decide it's not speedy enough for you!

Sorry, I need to keep it handy for super windy days. If I had wattage to spare, like you, I wouldn't think twice about toe-in.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Urbinrider

rbent member

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2011, 6:06pm

Quote from rmillay on Apr 17th, 2011, 9:33pm:

I meant Tadpole trike

IP Logged
Urbinrider

rbent member

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2011, 6:09pm

So right now I am at 301/8 front and 30 1/4 rear so maybe I will tweak it just a little less. thanks for all your replies.

IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:17pm

Quote from urbinrider on Apr 20th, 2011, 6:09pm:
So right now I am at 301/8 front and 30 1/4 rear so maybe I will tweak it just a little less. thanks for all your replies.

Eddie, congrats on acquiring the tadpole. Sounds like you have the adjustment real close to what ur looking for.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Urbinrider

rbent member

Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:24pm

Hay Jay Man Dianna and I will have to come out soon and take a trike ride out in your neck of the woods

IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:39pm

Quote from urbinrider on Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:24pm:
Hay Jay Man Dianna and I will have to come out soon and take a trike ride out in your neck of the woods

Yeah, with 3 of us, I can show u a route over to the trail only a few miles from here. I've worked out routes to the trail from 2 different directions, east and west. I have also scouted out going northward on S.Hulen under I-20 overpass.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print