Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 6th, 2024, 11:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hogie Seat Recumbutt Problem Solved (Read 1919 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Hogie Seat Recumbutt Problem Solved
Apr 5th, 2011, 7:18pm

I have tried a number of seat pads from the stock pad to composite pads on my RANS X-Stream with no success in eliminating discomfort that set in after about 27 miles or less of riding. That is, until I ordered some 2-inch, 1.6 lb/cu. ft (firm), open-cell, packaging foam from Foam Factory, Inc. (See: http://www.foambymail.com/CharcoalFoam.html). Rode 47 miles, today, in total comfort on a pad cut from this foam with an electric fish fileting knife. I experienced a slightly sweaty back, but I can easily live with that. Don't know how long a bare pad (no cover) will last, but at $10 per pad, not a big worry. I weigh 142 pounds. Don't know if this foam would work for heavier riders, but just thought I would pass my experience with it along. By the way, I attached Velcro to the pad with hot glue.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Hogie Seat Recumbutt Problem Solved
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2011, 9:09pm

You don't weigh enough to get recumbutt, Jay.  Lay that seat back a bit more! Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2011, 10:16pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 5th, 2011, 9:09pm:
You don't weigh enough to get recumbutt, Jay.  Lay that seat back a bit more! Smiley

Greg, I've laid the seat back, and still had a problem. My butt is uncomfortable even on my Baron with it's laid-back seat. Until I made the new pad for my X-Stream, only one of my five bikes, the Carbent with Bacchetta foam pad, was comfortable. The new foam has just the right density in combination with the 2-inch thickness for my butt to not bottom out against the Hoagie seat mesh. So, I think that is why I'm not experiencing recumbutt on the seat, now.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2011, 7:39am

I hear ya.  The triple thick ventisit is what solved it for me.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2011, 10:46am

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 6th, 2011, 7:39am:
I hear ya.  The triple thick ventisit is what solved it for me.

The thick Ventisit "comfort" pad was anything but comfortable for me. Too hard. Just shows how individualized pad selection must be.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2011, 12:40pm

For me, the foam is great for short distances, but the problem would be when I did long rides.  The foam would squeeze itself too thin thanks to my big behind and my butt and knees would hurt.  The ventisit helps that a bunch.  Took some getting used to, though.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print