Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:23pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heart of the South race. (Read 1316 times)
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Heart of the South race.
Apr 4th, 2011, 9:42pm

My Heart of the South story:
My goal was a sample one, to race the 200 miles self supported.That my not seem like that big an accompliashemnt, but I have never ridden anything longer then a 100k route solo. I have ridden  a lot of Randounuining K's , none of which was I self supported. Meaning that I rode most of it, not all the them with my loving husband Steve or any number other menbers of our Lone Star randouners group.Never having to be soley responsable for navagtigating.  

I had trained pretty hard and thought I would be able to complete the 200 miles in 13 to 14 hours. I had the course record in the back of my mind. The day statrted out great I was not pushing to hard but kept a good steady pace. I came into the first stop with 3 other riders, then off we went, we all make nature breaks this sparated our group. I then was ridding alone, I should have been making my way to Rte 204, onto Jacksonville ,but somewere along the way I went off couse, I had come down this very hilly counrty road. After asking a local resident, he told me the only way back to the course was to go back the way I came.

That was my first of two costly navigation mistakes. This was about 11 miles of hilly roads. I was back on couse, but I found that I was riding to hard to try and get back with the group, I had lost too much time, I slowed down and got back on my pace.I came into the 99 mile stopped, filled my bottles and went on my way to Cheaha climb.

During the climb,  I missed the turn, more bonus miles 5.5. The climb to Cheaha was very hard, I rode slow but i got it done. Even with the bonus miles and the tough clibming I never got down. I was having a great day on the bike. My nutrition was great, the bike was great , weather was precty and the route was beatful. I pushed to the last stop before the finish. When I arrived at the stop ,2 of the guy's I had ridden with earlier in the day were there waiting to DNF and sag in.  

I tried to talk then into riding in with me. But that were done. Tom (the race director ) and I talked about how much time I had left. I still wanted to get the record, I was going to have to push hard the last 53 miles. So off I went ,kept it at around 20 and leaving nothing on the climbs.  

I was about 3 or 4 miles from the finish when, I saw a deer grazing on the side of the road, I slowed to see what it was going to do. If it was going to go back into the woods or come acroosed the road. The deer broadsided me as I was going down, I stiffed armed it, the deer went back into the woods.

I jumped back on the bike, so I raced to the finish crossing the line at 8:22pm, a total time of 15:22 with 17.1 bonus miles and a deer attack. I could not have been happier with my ride,and yes I got the womens course record by on 2 mintues. I did it all by myself. This was as a freind of my would say an accomplishment ride.  

Peggy Petty

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
shellbear

Re: Heart of the South race.
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2011, 10:26pm

Good grief, what a story Peggy!!  Your persistence is admirable: any one of those obstacles would have stopped more timid riders in their tracks. Way to go!!!   Smiley

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2011, 6:04am

Quote from shellbear on Apr 4th, 2011, 10:26pm:
Good grief, what a story Peggy!!  Your persistence is admirable: any one of those obstacles would have stopped more timid riders in their tracks. Way to go!!!   Smiley

Not only her persistence, but did you see the time she put in *despite* everything that happened? And the HOTS course is absolutely **NOT** easy.  It is a very challenging one. Not only that, when we talked to her after we finished the 500, she looked like she was ready to do the 200 again. I suspect she's strong enough to go even faster but when you don't know a course that is as challenging as the HOTS, you figure you need to reign it in a bit.

Go Peggy!!!

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2011, 6:06am

Congrats, Peggy, great ride!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2011, 8:18am

That's my gal! That course is not easy & then to ride it solo, & get run over by a deer is a testament to her  
persistence. She never gets down when things go wrong.  Smiley

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2011, 8:18am

Wow, Peggy, that's a great ride.  Glad the incident with the deer ended with all well.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2011, 8:58am

Imagine what the deer told its buddies when it got back into the herd Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2011, 10:11pm

He said that crazy lady just punched me, then ran me over with that funny looking bike.

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print