Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 6th, 2024, 1:26am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trigger Shifters (Read 1374 times)
mikep

rbent member

Trigger Shifters
Feb 24th, 2011, 3:46pm

I do not have normal use and dexterity in my left hand which prevents me from being able to twist the grip shifter on the left bar of my bike.  I am  looking for ideas, but also would like to know if it would be possible to put a single trigger sifter on the right bar (to control the front derailleur) so I could shift gears on the front chain ring with my right hand. Smiley

I appreciate any input or ideas you all may have.

Thanks in advance,
Mikep

Usually so far behind I feel like I'm in first place!

Tour Easy LE
Performance XPR Arrow trike
Email txmp62   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Trigger Shifters
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2011, 5:16pm

What kind of handlebar were you going to use them on? They really stick out too much and get in the way on tweener bars, but on anything else, they're really nice. You can see the ones on my Stratus XP in the photo in this thread. They're a mismatched set of SRAMS (one is silver, one is black, one is x.7, one is x.9) that I picked up cheap on ebay. I really like them. They're easy and positive shifting, and mine have held up perfectly through a lot of miles and shifts. I would have more of them if the rest of my bikes didn't have tweener bars.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2011, 6:01pm

Mike I too have issues in both hands.  A half pipe shifter is worthless to me, and MOST bent come with those.  The long pipe shifters from SRAM work SO much easier.  I only just discovered that they are still made because my wife's bike came with them.  Those might be worth a shot, if you'd rather stick to twisties.

But there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to change to having different shifters front and rear - I know Terry Pickl did it on his baron at one time.

You could also try bar ends if you like.  Those have worked well for me.  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Urbinrider

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2011, 5:15pm

My thoughts on this is look around for a thumb shifter that could use on the right for your front Chain rings.

Easy Racer Tour Easy got to love it
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2011, 11:46pm

Actually your best bet would be trigger rear with grip shift for the front on the right side of the bar, with the front shifter mounted upside-down. This would get the cables clear of each other as well as using the proper shifter for each derailler.Your alternative would be a friction shifter on the bar for the front derailler with your existing grip shifter for the rear.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
mikep

rbent member

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2011, 11:53am

Hey folks, these are some really good ideas, I appreciate your input very much.  I'm going to research some of these suggestions and see if I can get it taken care of, thanks again. mp

Usually so far behind I feel like I'm in first place!

Tour Easy LE
Performance XPR Arrow trike
Email txmp62   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print