Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 5th, 2024, 11:25pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Compact Crankset (Read 1808 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Compact Crankset
Feb 22nd, 2011, 4:59pm

I have trial-installed an external bearing bottom bracket and 9-speed, triple crankset on my Baron, and found that the small chain ring is not accessible, because derailleur cage movement is blocked by the crank boom. I now want to try a compact crankset with external bearing bottom bracket, however, the desirable cranksets I have found on E-Bay are all 10-speeds. Are there any members that have successfully used a 9-speed chain with a 10-speed compact crankset?

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Compact Crankset
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2011, 5:30pm

I dunno, Jay, but you can, depending on the crankset, get a spacer and shift the cranks over enough to clear the boom - I did it on my baron way back when and it shifted great.

If that doesn't work I have a new ultralight 10 speed KMC chain I might trade you for  a 9 speed if you have it.  I may be converting my carbent to a 9 speed.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2011, 5:36pm

I dunno, Jay, but you can, depending on the crankset, get a spacer and shift the cranks over enough to clear the boom - I did it on my baron way back when and it shifted great.  

Get a longer(wider) crankshft spindle....

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2011, 6:37pm

Quote from aikigreg on Feb 22nd, 2011, 5:30pm:

If that doesn't work I have a new ultralight 10 speed KMC chain I might trade you for  a 9 speed if you have it.  I may be converting my carbent to a 9 speed.

Greg, thanks for your input. I guess a triple crankset suitable for a 73 mm bottom bracket could be used in conjunction with a spacer and 68 mm bottom bracket. Part of the problem I'm having is caused by the boom almost being bottomed out (I'm short). The derailleur cage is actually contacting the boom receiver, instead of the boom. So, cage movement is even more limited. I don't plan on climbing any steep hills with the Baron, so I want to try a compact crank, instead of another triple.

I wonder if a 10-speed chain would be compatible with my Baron's 9-speed cassette? I don't have a new 9-speed chain to trade. The chain on the Baron currently has 723 miles on it.  

Curious as to why you want to convert your Carbent to 9 speed? I've never been able to keep the 10-speed Ultegra bar end shifter/rear derailleur combo on my Carbent in adjustment. Wonder if a SRAM 10-speed, "Exact Shift" combo would be better?  

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2011, 6:50pm

Well, what I REALLY want is for sram to make a set of long pipe shifters that are 10 speed.  My wife's ans F5 came with long pipe shifters and they are a breeze to shift.  Shorties just hurt my wrist.  So I've been using bar end shifters on the carbent - Shimano, which are about to break at any time.  I'm just generally disgusted with shimano and the way they engineer shifters to break.  And I can't afford the sram XX gruppo that I want to replace it.  Going back to 9 speed is a much more inexpensive way to do what I gotta do until the money comes in for the change.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2011, 6:52pm

Quote from power_bent on Feb 22nd, 2011, 5:36pm:

Get a longer(wider) crankshft spindle....

Tom, I installed an ISIS triple crankset and heavy, 128 mm (super wide), mountain bike bottom bracket and could get the drailleur to access the small ring. I screwed up the bottom bracket when I removed it to try an external bearing bottom bracket and carbon triple crankset. Instead of buying another 128 mm bottom bracket, I want to try another external bearing bottom bracket and light compact crankset.  

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2011, 7:02pm

Quote from aikigreg on Feb 22nd, 2011, 6:50pm:
Well, what I REALLY want is for sram to make a set of long pipe shifters that are 10 speed.  

Me too.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2011, 5:02pm

Rode over to Dallas Bike Works at WRL, this afternoon, and talked to one of their mechanics. He said a 9-speed chain would be compatible with a 10-speed compact crankset. He suggested use of a 10-speed front derailleur for smoother shifting. Subsequently, I pulled the trigger on a new 165 mm Ultegra compact crankset w/bottom bracket for just $130 on E-Bay. Hope it works on the Baron.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2011, 6:13pm

Received my new Ultegra compact crankset yesterday afternoon and installed it on the Baron. The 9-speed Shimano 105 triple front derailleur and 9-speed chain on the bike are compatible with the new 10-speed, 34/50, double crankset. Took the Baron for a 37 mile test ride this afternoon. Only one slight problem - when the chain is on the big ring, it makes light contact with the axle screw for one of the return idlers. No big deal. I'll install a short chain tube. The compact crankset is fine for riding at WRL, but I wouldn't want to try to ride Muenster without packing some hill walking shoes in my bag.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2011, 11:11am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print