Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 6th, 2024, 1:28am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strada big tire question... (Read 768 times)
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Strada big tire question...
Jan 5th, 2011, 4:53pm

There is some info on BROL but not exactly conclusive.  I thought I might get some help here, especially from Bud since it looks like he contributed to a lot of the "fat tire" posts riding the same bike.  Smiley I have the carbon forks on my Strada and one of the reasons I bought it instead of the Corsa was because I could supposedly swap out the 571s for 559s but it appears it's not that simple.  So...

1. Can I run 28 - 571s without modifications, or is 25mm about as big as you can go on a 571?

2. If I use my current 130mm hubs and have them mated to a set of 559 wheels, how big can/should I go on the tire?

3. Can anyone recommend some larger tires that roll well.  I'm riding on nothing but chipseal.

4. Does the carbon fork throw a monkey wrench in any of this?

Thanks!

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Strada big tire question...
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2011, 5:38pm

Dan, I'm not certain how much clearance you have on the Strada frame, but I believe it's more than on my Corsa, so you could probably run a 571x28 on the rear, but I'm not so sure it would clear on the front. The brake boss is the biggest clearance problem on the rear of a Corsa, and some people grind on it for more clearance, but I really don't know for sure about a Strada. As I recall, though, 571x28's are rare, and the few made aren't really that wide (it's amazing how many tires don't really measure what they say).

Even on my Corsa, with 559's, there is plenty of room for tires wider even than the 28's I ran for a while. I don't know exactly how much wider, and like I said, the Strada probably isn't exactly the same as a Corsa.

I really liked the 559x28 Conti Grand Prix's that I ran. I don't think they're making the new GP's in a 559x28, but there are plenty of old stock ones still around. They were very impressive on chipseal.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Re: Strada big tire question...
Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2011, 9:01am

Thanks Bud.  I will probably try to get some 559s built and see if 32s will fit.  Right now I'm running 38s on the 700 wheels on my DF.  I wouldn't really call them big and they seem to roll pretty good.  I'd rather not grind on anything if I can avoid it.

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print