Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 6th, 2024, 11:14am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bouncing rear  rear tire (Read 1146 times)
Tom Nuchols

rbent member

bouncing rear  rear tire
Dec 22nd, 2010, 6:23am

I replaced my rear tire on my Giro 2o0 when the old tire  wore thru to the tube.  The new tire (a Tioga 26X 1.25 has a decided bounce on smooth pavement when I begin to get around 20 mph.  I place the bike on the stand and spun the wheel and it is definitely out of round.  I used a mm caliper and measured around the tire and found that there is a 1.5 mm difference in the distance from the back of the rim to the top of the tire.  I do not notice this on chip and seal for obvious reasons.   Has anyone experienced this problem?
Tom Nuchols  
Mt Pleasant

IP Logged
bob wand
Ex Member

Re: bouncing rear  rear tire
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2010, 4:11pm

Tom,
Take a close look as to how well the tire is seated on the rim.

IP Logged
Tom Nuchols

rbent member

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2010, 7:24pm

I have checked the rim and it seems to be tight all the way around.  This is the first thing I though of.
Tom Nuchols

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2010, 8:24am

I've had this happen when changing a tire -- it's probably a problem with how it's seating in the rim.  Re-install the tire, checking the "fit" before fully re-inflating - pump it up to ~15psi, and spin it while watching.    You can often "thumb-push" the tire into correct alignment at that point.  Also check to see if your rim tape has shifted, interfering with the seating.

I had a video posted here on this a couple years ago, but apparently the upload to PHotobucket doesn't exist any more.

« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2010, 8:33am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print