Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 6th, 2024, 3:29pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tread separation(?) on folder bike tire (Read 1080 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Tread separation(?) on folder bike tire
Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:30pm

My KHS folder came with non-branded 47-406 (1.5" 20") tires, which I put liners in to help protect from flats, any typically pump up to 60psi...  Haven't had any flats through 400+ miles, but a couple days ago I felt a familiar rhythmic bumping on the rear tire... sure enough, part of the tire is bulging out and a section of tread is at about a 15 degree angle to the rest of the tire.  Disappointing, since I don't think I treat these tires very roughly at all...

I've ordered a pair of Marathon Racers from Thor USA, we'll see if they last any longer!  They supposedly go up to 85 psi max, and have a protection belt so I shouldn't have to keep the liners in...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Tread separation(?) on folder bike tire
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2010, 10:52pm

The tube blew this afternoon, after putting another ~10 miles on it after the "bump" appeared...

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2010, 7:41am

Got the Marathon Racer tires in yesterday...  They went on the rims very easily, and they also have a reflective stripe on the sidewalls -- I think I'm gonna like 'em, they should be a bit easier-rolling than the no-name tires, with a higher inflation pressure.   I must admit, it's a bit weird having to remove wheels by using a crescent wrench (to remove a bolt) rather than with a quickrelease...

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2010, 7:52am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2010, 8:22pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:30pm:
My KHS folder came with non-branded 47-406 (1.5" 20") tires, which I put liners in to help protect from flats, any typically pump up to 60psi...  Haven't had any flats through 400+ miles, but a couple days ago I felt a familiar rhythmic bumping on the rear tire... sure enough, part of the tire is bulging out and a section of tread is at about a 15 degree angle to the rest of the tire.  Disappointing, since I don't think I treat these tires very roughly at all...

I've ordered a pair of Marathon Racers from Thor USA, we'll see if they last any longer!  They supposedly go up to 85 psi max, and have a protection belt so I shouldn't have to keep the liners in...

Schwalbe Kojaks, haven't had a flat since sometime in September, they tend to last over 4000 miles in my experience

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print