Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:25pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Time for the Thanksgiving Jaunt (Read 2079 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Time for the Thanksgiving Jaunt
Nov 22nd, 2010, 2:56pm

Once again, the weather looks favorable for a solo East Texas jaunt out to Lake Cypress Springs for the family Thanksgiving...  But definitely not for a ride back, so Terrie will have the bike rack on the car!

I'll be doing this route -- maybe I'll see Bob McClure again, somewhere south of Greenville...

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/16094

It'll be my first "rando-like" adventure using the Xstream, so it should go a bit faster than previous journeys on the SXP...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Time for the Thanksgiving Jaunt
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2010, 4:46pm

Take pictures and share.  Be safe and have fun.

IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2010, 5:59pm

When are you riding? Thursday might give you a howling west wind to push you along.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2010, 7:32pm

Rode today, actually... beautiful day, too!  However......

WHEN DID HOPKINS COUNTY CHIPSEAL ALL THAT FINE ASPHALT THAT USED TO BE THERE???  
    Angry   undecided    Smiley  

No wonder George took down his Rockwall to Texarkana rando permanent...  

Had a good ride despite miles and miles of new chipseal, and had at least four "stealth dog" chases, but no close encounters.  The best road surface was actually from Winnsboro on up to 115, about 11 miles total.

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2010, 7:58pm

I left the house at 8AM, but 'cheated' a bit -- had Terrie drive me over to Rockwall to the top of the hill on 66...  that avoided my having to deal with car traffic both on Miller Road across the lake and the 66 bridge across the lake, cutting 8 miles off the journey.

Made my way through Rockwall past the Rockwall International  Wink Airport, then encountered 15 miles of chipseal on the I-30 service road...  Turned south onto 36, and passed the house that has all the old gas station signs and stuff -- the owner was outside working on his driveway, so I stopped and said hello, remarking that I'd seen the signs for the past several years, and wondered what the impetus behind it was ...  He (Tim) said that he just like collecting old signs, and it had kinda gotten away from him!  He then took me on an inside tour of the building, where he has created a replica of a 1930's gas station, and is working on building an old-time soda fountain shoppe, too...  he also had a pristine, blue SS inside the garage -- very cool!!  I'll post pics later in the week.

Continued on my way, and found that the highway dept. is tearing up Rt 69 right where I intersected it to go to Lone Oak, with NO shoulder for about a half mile... be careful if you rando out there.  Did the long climb into Lone Oak, and stopped at the gas station for a break...  then I came back outside, and noticed that a black camaro was parked at the gas pumps, and the woman inside was smiling at me... (woohoo!  Cool ) and after a few seconds, I realized that I knew her -- it was my dentist's ex-wife Diane, who has joined in on a couple of GDB Sunday Roll rides, and who lives in Royce City!  After we stopped laughing, she said she was there in Lone Oak on a job, and had seen me riding up 69, thinking she recognized me... and had pulled in for gas before I pulled in.   SO, once again, I had a "Bob McClure" moment during this ride, encountering someone I knew out in the middle of nowhere -- just not Bob this time!!!  Freakin' small world, it is...

Not much eventful happened for the next 45(!) miles, except for the discovery of the Hopkins County Chipseal Disaster... Oh, and the half-mile section of 154 (I think) northbound I used is also being torn up, with NO shoulder... be careful!  The other problem is that there is NOWHERE to stop between Lone Oak and Winnsboro - 45 miles...  but I used the roadside facilities a few times, and had plenty of water and snacks to get me through...

Most of the dog chases occured within the last ten miles before Winnsboro.  I had a can of HALT handy, but never had to use it.  

Once I got to Winnsboro, I discovered that the railroad tracks on the edge of town are VERY dangerous for a cyclist -- I didn't go down, but the grooves where the rails are are VERY wide, and at a 45 degree angle to the road -- again, Randos beware...

The rest of the ride was uneventful, and the smooth asphalt after Winnsboro was a welcome change, to be sure...  Nice coloring in the trees, too - lots of yellows, browns, and reds...

Total miles 95, 16.0 average, 7.5 hours total time.  No mechanicals, no flats, no problems!   I'll post pics in a few days.  It was a very nice day for a ride...   Smiley

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2010, 8:06pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2010, 3:50pm

Here's my photo album from the ride, http://s977.photobucket.com/albums/ae256/pbrown8js/ThanksgivingRide2010/

with a few shots here...

Tim, the gas station hobbyist

Inside...

Weird name

Chance encounter with friend

Nasty surface of Hopkins County roads now...

Major incline (>20%?) video  (click on it)

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2010, 11:19am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2010, 11:18am

Here's what Hopkins county roads USED to look like, last year... (where my wheel is, taken as I was LEAVING Hopkins county)    Smiley

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2010, 11:18am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Tom Nuchols

rbent member

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2010, 5:28pm

The tracks in Winnsboro took me down  a few years ago almost in front of a one ton pick up. My Giro 20 front wheel fell in to wide gap.  I now have a chain ring scar on my leg.  It is a very dangerous set of tracks for small front wheel bents.
Tom Nuchols

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2010, 12:16am

These are the tracks I encountered...