Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:24pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Okay who survived the Denton Turkey Roll? (Read 3586 times)
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Okay who survived the Denton Turkey Roll?
Nov 20th, 2010, 8:02pm

That was a tough, too much wind and the route 3 years ago didn't have as much chip seal. 44'th event ride for me, I think I'm done this year but what an incredible year it has been!

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Okay who survived the Denton Turkey Roll?
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2010, 8:45pm

I knew we were going to face a stiff wind coming back South, but didn't know there would be so many long inclines and so much chipseal. Should have saved some of the energy I used going fast on the North run with the wind at my back. I've never been this tired after any other pay ride I've done this year.

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2010, 8:50pm

Yes the second half was tough like constantly going up hill without a break.
But we made it.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2010, 9:20pm

I'm glad I wasn't the only one hurting at the end

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2010, 11:17pm

Got some decent video of you guys on my site

www.lifeonabaron.blogspot.com

IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2010, 9:22am

Nice video - Now I know what I look like from the back.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2010, 5:47pm

Well, 37 miles (actually 41) never made me so tired and made me hate wind so much.  I liked riding across the dam, but there was a lot of glass on the shoulder and I wasn't about to get on the road with all of the chip seal.  Urbinrider and I missed most of you guys as we lined up with a friend from Louisana toward the back of the pack.  He and the friend did the 63 mile loop. I did see several recumbents that I don't believe are on RBent, so it was a pretty good recumbent turn-out.  Glad it's over.

IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2010, 10:14pm

Howdy, just got my login to this forum thanks to Bud!  I rode the Turkey Roll as my first long-ish ride on my new Catbike.  WOW that was a challenge!  I haven't been on a bike in over 2 years (before that I rode a racing roadie) and I guess I should have picked a less windy weekend to break in my out of shape legs!!  That's ok, I made it through the 37 mile route and met some friendly fellow 'bent riders.  Looking forward to being back on the road on a regular basis in the spring!

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2010, 10:32pm

Quote from shellbear on Nov 29th, 2010, 10:14pm:
Howdy, just got my login to this forum thanks to Bud!  I rode the Turkey Roll as my first long-ish ride on my new Catbike.  WOW that was a challenge!  I haven't been on a bike in over 2 years (before that I rode a racing roadie) and I guess I should have picked a less windy weekend to break in my out of shape legs!!  That's ok, I made it through the 37 mile route and met some friendly fellow 'bent riders.  Looking forward to being back on the road on a regular basis in the spring!

Wish I had seen you there, as I would have liked to have taken a look at your bike. How did it perform on the hills with the double crankset and how did it handle the rough chipseal? Is the seat comfortable?

Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2010, 1:17pm

Quote from mleuck on Nov 20th, 2010, 8:02pm:
That was a tough, too much wind and the route 3 years ago didn't have as much chip seal. 44'th event ride for me, I think I'm done this year but what an incredible year it has been!

Just think Mark, two years ago we couldn't get you away from White Rock Lake.

I think the Turkey Roll is the last meaningful Event Ride in North Texas.  For me It marks the end of the normal cycling season.

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2010, 1:24pm

Quote from shellbear on Nov 29th, 2010, 10:14pm:

Bear did you discover some new muscles?    How is the learning curve for you on the Low-Racer?
Smiley

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #11 - Mar 4th, 2011, 10:01pm

Sorry folks, haven't checked this thread in a long time.  :-P  The learning curve on the Musashi is going really well, did a couple of shorter rides now that the weather is nice and I'm working my way back to higher mileages.  I need to get out on some hills if I'm going to do the Frisco to Fort Worth MS150 in 2 months!!

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2011, 10:39pm

Quote from shellbear on Mar 4th, 2011, 10:01pm:
Sorry folks, haven't checked this thread in a long time.  :-P  The learning curve on the Musashi is going really well, did a couple of shorter rides now that the weather is nice and I'm working my way back to higher mileages.  I need to get out on some hills if I'm going to do the Frisco to Fort Worth MS150 in 2 months!!

They have a nice white one down at the bent shop in Houston and they look great although I'd love to see one with a carbon seat instead of the mesh.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print