Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 6th, 2024, 9:25pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pannier bag question (Read 1651 times)
Don

rbent member

Pannier bag question
Nov 17th, 2010, 4:18pm

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how well Pannier bags fit on Sun EZ Tadpole SX trikes?  I have looked to find photos on the web but havent had any luck.  I want to either try to make some or buy some so i can carry different cloths and stuff on the bike and have room to take off the extra cloths as i warm up. Plus I plan on Riding the trike to some of the local lakes this spring and summer and do overnight camping if it is possible. Also how big of bags would fit.  

Thanks, Don

Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Pannier bag question
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2010, 5:02pm

Don, since that is the 20" rear wheel, you will need to find panniers for a 20" wheel.  Also, I just ordered this rack bag for my brother who also is riding an EZ-3 tad.    

11432: Sunlite Toploader 2 Rack Bag w/Panniers (11432)
from Sunrise Cyclery ( www.sunrisecyclery.com).  

I use this bag as well and have used it for a 2 day self contained hotel trip, but I wouldn't want to try to get more than 2 or 3 days of clothes in the panniers.  They are short and will fit the 20" rear wheel.  I also had my LBS order a set of panniers from J & B( I believe) when I bought my first EZ-1for the 20" wheel.  I just like the convenience of having the panniers on the bag should I need them especially for winter riding when we usually take off one layer as the day gets warmer.

Good Luck and I'm certainly impressed with the way you're taken to the trike.  

IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2010, 1:22pm

Hi Dianna,

I checked out the bags on that site, they do look pretty dang good.  

Thanks, Don

Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2010, 1:48pm

Even with 406s you can fit some big bags just need to measure from the top of your rack to the ground. Since you have a trike you might be able to go a little lower than a 2 wheeler that might lean alot.
Here is my hurricane with some panniers and it does look a bit higher than it would be if I was sitting on it compressing the suspension these are regular front roller classic ortlieb bags.
Dimensions: 12 x 10 x 5.5in (30 x 25 x 14cm)
Max Capacity: [Pair] 1526cu in (25L)

I don't have a picture but my big arkel 42 liter bags have been used without much of a problem probably due to the mounting hardware being a bit lower on the bag so it isn't that much closer to the ground than the ortliebs. Course it doesn't have the cinch strap to pull the bottom up tight and it makes it look like I'm riding cross country but it works.

•Dimensions: 16" x 17" x 7 " (H x W x D)
•Volume: 2550 cubic inches/42 Liters (per pair)

If your just looking for a little room the toploader bag with the roll down panniers would work great. My wife uses a similar one and switches it between her cyclocross bike and trike without a problem and it works on both great.

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2010, 1:51pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2010, 10:36pm

Thanks Mark,

I like the Yellow bags on your bike!  I found some pitures and think i am going to go for big pannier bags that can be cinched up when not fully being used.  Right now i am thinking about getting Axiom Champlain bags. They are 65L with over 3600 cu in capacity.  I know they are Huge LOL but i want to be able to camp and dont want to have to take a trailor. Plus i think what i cant get in the bags i could stack and strap on them.

I am figuring sleeping bag, Tent, clothing, food (Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich) , extra folding tire 20inch and 3 spare tubes and probably a fishing pole and Maybe some type of light fold up chair.  

Right now all i have is the Sun Ex Tadpole SX to put it all on and it will probably take me a while to get everything to set it up for touring but its a good goal for me........I love being outside and this gets me there and a reason to go.  I used to train hunting dogs and was in the woods nearly 8 hours a night year round.  I miss the freedom of the outside and open air and Riding the trike has brought back that feeling.  When i Became disabled and couldnt walk much less hunt. I gave away all my hunting gear so it will take me a while to get this set up.

I want the Panniers first because they will help me with training to get physicly ready, All the other stuff i will just take my time and get as i can.  I might be able to find some of the stuff at garage sales too so they are less expencive.  

The other thing I know i will need to get is a small cook stove type thing. I want to find something that runs off gasoline or Kerosine. that will probably be the last thing i try to get but for now i am doing the research and puting together my dream list.

Sorry for the rambling,
Don

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print