Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 6th, 2024, 1:26pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Squeal in X-Stream Drive Train (Read 2338 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Squeal in X-Stream Drive Train
Nov 5th, 2010, 3:14pm

Have been experiencing a worsening squeal in the drive train of my early model 2009 X-Stream. At first I thought it might be the chain idler, but finally traced it to the orignial-equipment, SRAM X.9 derailleur. Took the jockey wheels off the derailleur and discovered the upper wheel assembly has a strange design. It doesn't have a ball bearing or bushing. The plastic wheel has about a 1/2" diameter, precision-bored hole in it, and spins around a fixed, polished, steel cylinder section. The assembly was dry as a bone. Lubed it up, and assembled and installed the derailleur - Voila, no squeal. I believe later versions of the X.9 derailleur have bushed upper jockey wheels.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Squeal in X-Stream Drive Train
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2010, 9:49am

Interesting find... I'll take a look at mine today...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2010, 10:11pm

Quote from jayg on Nov 5th, 2010, 3:14pm:
Have been experiencing a worsening squeal in the drive train of my early model 2009 X-Stream. At first I thought it might be the chain idler, but finally traced it to the orignial-equipment, SRAM X.9 derailleur. Took the jockey wheels off the derailleur and discovered the upper wheel assembly has a strange design. It doesn't have a ball bearing or bushing. The plastic wheel has about a 1/2" diameter, precision-bored hole in it, and spins around a fixed, polished, steel cylinder section. The assembly was dry as a bone. Lubed it up, and assembled and installed the derailleur - Voila, no squeal. I believe later versions of the X.9 derailleur have bushed upper jockey wheels.

I think I must have the same type... no squeal, but that upper wheel has become VERY difficult to spin...  Lubing it doesn't seem to have totally solved the problem, but it helped some...  I didn't take it apart, but I may do that tomorrow afternoon...   I'm going to ask RANS about it...

jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2010, 9:24am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Nov 27th, 2010, 10:11pm:
Quote from jayg on Nov 5th, 2010, 3:14pm:

I think I must have the same type... no squeal, but that upper wheel has become VERY difficult to spin...  Lubing it doesn't seem to have totally solved the problem, but it helped some...  I didn't take it apart, but I may do that tomorrow afternoon...   I'm going to ask RANS about it...

If the bike wheel side of the upper jockey wheel looks like this, it's the older, bearingless design.

Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2010, 9:04pm

Jay how many miles have you rolled-up on your XStream since you've had it?      Smiley

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2010, 10:13pm

Quote from MrOverdressed on Nov 29th, 2010, 9:04pm:
Jay how many miles have you rolled-up on your XStream since you've had it? Smiley

2,907 miles. I really like the bike. Very stable. Thought I was going to go down on it a couple of times, but the bike uprighted itself with steering input. It's the only one of my bikes I will ride in inclement weather on purpose.

Have you found yourself a bike to replace the X-Stream?

Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2010, 1:12pm

Thats great!  If you add the ~1050 miles I rolled (with different components) the frame has about 4000 miles.   I havnt replaced the XStream yet.  BUT I did get a beater bike for winter.  Its a EZ-Sport.

I have the AX version.  The Bike is better than I expected.  I need to add a pair of splash fenders to it.    
I hope to get a performance class recumbent next spring.  
The large size X-Stream (Frame) kit would be my first choice.  

How much slower are you on the Xstream compared to your other performance bikes?

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2010, 1:14pm by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2010, 8:21pm

Quote from MrOverdressed on Nov 30th, 2010, 1:12pm:
Thats great!  If you add the ~1050 miles I rolled (with different components) the frame has about 4000 miles.   I havnt replaced the XStream yet.  BUT I did get a beater bike for winter.  Its a EZ-Sport.
I have the AX version.  The Bike is better than I expected.  I need to add a pair of splash fenders to it.  
I hope to get a performance class recumbent next spring.  
The large size X-Stream (Frame) kit would be my first choice.  

How much slower are you on the Xstream compared to your other performance bikes?  

Glad you found a temp bike that works for you. Hope to see you on your performance bike on some pay rides next Spring .

The X-Stream with the seat laid back may have a 1 to 2 mph lower cruising speed than my two low racers and Carbent high racer. Maybe it has a 2 to 3 mph lower max sprint speed than the others. Hard to judge, because my strength, and aerobic and wind conditions vary.  

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2010, 4:02pm

That upper jockey wheel would barely move in Sunday morning's low 40's temps...   I took it to PCF this morning, and it moved much easier in the already-70 degrees -- but the tech took it apart, cleaned and re-lubed the inner rings, and it seems to be back to normal now.  Weird design, but it's been redesigned, apparently.  

I let RANS know about it (my instance and Jay's), and it's the first they've heard of it - but now they know...  Tanner will do some more digging.

jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2010, 6:28pm

Haven't had any more trouble with the X.9 derailleur, since I took apart and lubed the upper jockey wheel.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print