Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 19th, 2024, 12:59pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Texas State TT (Read 814 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Texas State TT
Aug 16th, 2010, 1:27pm

Well, I had a DNS for the individual due to a sidewall blowout  on the VK2 front wheel while warming up out on the roads, and couldn't make it to start on time.  I was disappointed, but it was much better to have the blowout when I did and not on the course at 40 miles an hour downhill.   So I sat back and  watched the riders roll in trying to breathe from racing this very hilly 40k course.  

My partner Kent Polk (Team Bacchetta, Team BentUp Cycles RAAM 2010), who tried to help get my tire fixed, started at least three minutes late but still pulled a solid 1h 15 seconds which put him right up there with the best riders outside of the pro/cat 1 range and 95th out of all 284 riders, including the pro/cat 1.  All that In spite of the fact that he'd been sick all week and throwing up the day before.  Had he been able to start on time it looks like he would have been top 50, and he'd never done a time trial before.  Way to go KENT!

Right behind Kent was Tim Olsen from Austin who showed on his very nice Fujin and finished with a 1:02:46. A very solid run for someone who hasn't raced before.  Tim you need to race every chance you get!  You really rocked it.  We all had lunch together and swapped stories afterwards.

Sunday was the team event, and it was much windier than the day before and in our faces on the roughest parts.  The hills were the same size.  Kent and I teamed up as a 2-man team against all the other 4 person teams.  This time I was on the Carbent.  Your time is scored based on the 3rd person to cross the line, so what the 4-man teams do is burn one of their men out to save them the most energy and then they can go that little bit faster.  It was quite interesting to watch.  I worked harder than I've ever done on a 25 mile ride in my life.  At times I had tunnel vision and I couldn't feel anything below the knees when I crossed the finish line.  

Even sick, Kent was still stronger than me and did probably 85% of the pulls, with me spelling him up some of the hills I could power through.  This was my first drafting race and Kent and I had practiced, so with exceptions due to my experience  I spent a good chunk of the race with my feet inches off his seat bag.  Scary, but Kent is so smooth it was pretty easy to do.

We don't know our official time yet, which is a little maddening.  We won the category of course, being the only entrants.   We passed at least one full team (teams went off in 2 minute intervals).  We may have have passed another but I had the tunnel vision thing going.  We passed the burn-off men of at least 8 teams ahead of us according to their jersey numbers.  According to my garmin, which promptly erased all the data after I turned it off (grrrrr!), we had over a 25mph average, which should have put us somewhere around the 58 minute mark.  My average was 246 watts - way over anything I've ever done for that length.

That would have earned us 2nd in the cat 5 and still a respectable place all the way down in cat 3 territory.  Not bad for two guys who had never done a team TT going against 4 man teams.  

Recumbents are being invited back next year for sure.  All the race staff loved us and everyone was very positive and welcoming, and we surprised many with our times.

Also the director of the Tour De Gruene told us he would open up his event for recumbents if we could get a field of 6 total.  the TdG was raced by Lance Armstrong in 2008 as a comeback event.  Gruene lies between Austin and San Antonio and this year is being held the weekend of Oct 30 and 31.  Kent and I are trying to firm this one up in our calendars so if you can make it, please PM me and let me know.  TTs are great events just for you to compete against yourself, so don't think you have to be a fully geeked out racer to come out and have fun.  The website is http://www.tourdegruene.com/

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Re: Texas State TT
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2010, 4:45pm

Well done gentlemen, well done indeed.

As for Tim's Fujin, it is very very nice, and while he may not have raced before, he put on a show at the Tour das Hugel last year.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Tim C.

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2010, 9:50pm

Is the field of 6 for the individual time trial?  My sister lives in San Antonio and I could go visit and ride.  I would need to be in the 55+ division hoping to average 15 mph.  Just dreaming probably.

2008 RANS Stratus XP
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2010, 10:58pm

You'd be in the recumbent division, which would be an age inclusive field, I'd imagine.  Unless there was enough bents to form different divisions, which would be cool.  I think he'll do it with 6 bents total for both days, so it wouldn't matter if you did the team TT or not.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print