Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 7th, 2024, 3:33pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cooling Vest (Read 2422 times)
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Cooling Vest
Aug 11th, 2010, 9:18pm

As some of you know I have a very hard time managing my core temperature in the heat. So I'm always looking for ways to ride more comfortably in the Texas heat. Last year I bought a Frog tog cooling towel cut it into smaller piece to put under my helmet and on my chest. The towel works great as long as you keep it wet. This year I have been putting in a lot of miles so I need something more, so I bought(From Dicks sporting Goods) 2 FROG TOG towels cut them into the shape of a vest sew it together. I wear it as a base layer under my jersey.I have now used it for the last 3 weekends rides( about 800miles) and I can tell you that it works great, I'm able to keep riding even with the temperatures in the 100's.I will take a picture and post it here. '

One other item I use to battle the heat is I carry a misting bottle that you can also drink from, We carry them at Dicks Sporting Goods but we sell out of them as fast as we get them in.

I know I'm not alone in the struggle with the heat. I hope this will help others.
                                                     Pedalin Peggy

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Cooling Vest
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2010, 10:59pm

I knew a vest would work for you - I mentioned it last year.  They tend to have a bit of bulk though and you've got a quite inventive solution for the bent!  How fast can you make one for the rest of us for HHH?  Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2010, 7:19am

Hmmmmm, may have to try something like this....I have a Cruzbike to test out!!!  Come on cold front!!

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2010, 7:37pm

Quote from Pedalin` Peggy on Aug 11th, 2010, 9:18pm:
As some of you know I have a very hard time managing my core temperature in the heat. So I'm always looking for ways to ride more comfortably in the Texas heat. Last year I bought a Frog tog cooling towel cut it into smaller piece to put under my helmet and on my chest. The towel works great as long as you keep it wet. This year I have been putting in a lot of miles so I need something more, so I bought(From Dicks sporting Goods) 2 FROG TOG towels cut them into the shape of a vest sew it together. I wear it as a base layer under my jersey.I have now used it for the last 3 weekends rides( about 800miles) and I can tell you that it works great, I'm able to keep riding even with the temperatures in the 100's.I will take a picture and post it here. '

One other item I use to battle the heat is I carry a misting bottle that you can also drink from, We carry them at Dicks Sporting Goods but we sell out of them as fast as we get them in.

I know I'm not alone in the struggle with the heat. I hope this will help others.
Pedalin Peggy

Someone was selling cool vests at the Collin Classic last month however I can't recall the company name, soak it in cold water and it was supposed to stay cool for 2 or more hours.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2010, 8:45pm

Peggy and I experimented with the "Ti Mountain" cooling vests at last year's TTTT -- see this thread:  http://rbentonline.org/YaBB.pl?num=1252792167   I haven't pulled out the vest yet this summer, but I may tomorrow afternoon...  the "trouble" with a laid-back recumbent posture is that you don't get much airflow buffeting your torso (by design, eh?), so the cooling is reduced vs. what a DF rider would feel...  It would probably work very nicely for a StratusXP rider...

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2010, 8:46pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2010, 4:20pm

I'm not sure how Peggy's vest works for keeping her cool, but I will swear that it makes a great pillow when added to my ADEMS headrest  Smiley

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2010, 4:28pm

Quote from Pedalin` Peggy on Aug 11th, 2010, 9:18pm:
.I will take a picture and post it here....

WELL???   Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print