Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:19pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Goatneck (Read 4110 times)
Bud_Bent

Goatneck
Jul 31st, 2010, 3:12pm

I rolled out of Cleburne at 7:30 this morning along with 2,500 or so other riders to do the rolling hills and great scenery of the Tour de Goatneck. I started beside Mark L and Greg, but they quickly disappeared into the mass of riders in front of me. I paced myself, and just watched lots of riders go by anytime the terrain headed uphill.

There were a few recumbents on the ride, but not as many as I expected. John Sadowski was taking photos in the middle of Goatneck Hill, as always. I only made one stop, at mile 46. Goatneck Hill is right after that, and when my average speed was still over 18 mph after I topped Goatneck, I pushed a little harder the rest of the way.

I finished the ride at 11:26 am, with 69.4 miles. My on the bike time was 3:51 and I finished with an on the bike average speed of 18.0 mph. That's the earliest I've finished this ride, and the best average speed I've had, so it was a good ride for me. As always, the traffic control on this ride was great. There's still lots of boulder seal, but much of it is a lot better packed down than last year.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
hornsmw13

rbent member

Re: Goatneck
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2010, 4:13pm

were you helping a downed bike rider?

mike
2009 bacchetta corsa ss
  IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2010, 4:40pm

I too rolled out at 7:30 and my intentions were to get to "the hill" ASAP.  I took a three mile shortcut and arrived at "the hill" at least 30 minutes before the lead 40 milers who left at 7:45.  
Once there I took over 900 pictures. Then I got back on the back suddenly realizing that I had been standing in the sun for hours and not drinking very much water, besides being stiff from the early ride.  
Ouch. It made for a rough climb up the second half of "the hill". Three miles later at the rest stop I downed two bottles of water.  Then I rode the last 16 miles feeling better as i rode.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Mark

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2010, 5:50pm

I rode the 41 mile Goatneck route and had a great time except for having a flat on my right front tire about 400 yards from the finish line.  I felt it was my duty to stop at each and every rest stop, and there were a bunch of them.  There were watermelons at one, Hersey bars at another and PB&J sandwiches at the last stop.   

I got a picture of Mark L. passing me and several DFs on a hill.  I was a little slow on the shutter and almost missed him.  He's in the lead on the left.  That's my blurred knee on the bottom right.

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2010, 5:51pm by Mark »  

Mark
me - 2010 Red Catrike Expedition
wife - 2009 Yellow Catrike Trail
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2010, 6:18pm

Quote from Mark on Jul 31st, 2010, 5:50pm:
I rode the 41 mile Goatneck route and had a great time except for having a flat on my right front tire about 400 yards from the finish line.  I felt it was my duty to stop at each and every rest stop, and there were a bunch of them.  There were watermelons at one, Hersey bars at another and PB&J sandwiches at the last stop.   

I got a picture of Mark L. passing me and several DFs on a hill.  I was a little slow on the shutter and almost missed him.  He's in the lead on the left.  That's my blurred knee on the bottom right.

How much chipseal was there on the 41-mile route, and was it as bad as it looks in the photo? Also, how did you get ahead of Mark L? Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mark

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2010, 7:01pm

Quote from jayg on Jul 31st, 2010, 6:18pm:
How much chipseal was there on the 41-mile route, and was it as bad as it looks in the photo? Also, how did you get ahead of Mark L? Smiley

Probably about half the 41 mile route was chipseal, but it wasn't too bad.  When Mark L passed me he had already ridden 29 miles further than I had.  He and a bunch of 70 milers passed me, but I'll bet they didn't have any more fun than I did

Mark
me - 2010 Red Catrike Expedition
wife - 2009 Yellow Catrike Trail
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2010, 7:01pm

Quote from hornsmw13 on Jul 31st, 2010, 4:13pm:

Not me.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2010, 7:04pm

Quote from hornsmw13 on Jul 31st, 2010, 4:13pm:

That was me that helped the down rider.  At the start of the ride I was flying in the mid to upper 20's with the fast group for the first 5 miles.  Then I decided to drop back and wait on, and ride with Angie as today is our anniversary.  Around that time Mark came flying by, followed shortly by Greg, and then Bud.  

As we passed the state park, a rider fell a short distance in front of me.  Nobody stopped, but I did.  This was his first organized ride, and he tried to use his aero bars when he lost control.  His rear wheel was in pretty bad shape, and I fixed it enough for him to continue riding.  He was mentally shaken up pretty bad but said he wanted to to continue riding.  I told him I'd ride with him for a while.  Angie, who I thought was still behind wasn't.  As we approached the first section of Goat Neck hill, she was at the half way point, about where John was taking pictures.  Angie rode with the downed rider (Steven) and I to the next rest stop at the Retreat.  

After departing this rest stop is when Mark came wizzing by again, followed shortly after by Greg.  

Who was on the yellow Corsa?  You looked strong!

A wonderful way to spend an anniversary, riding with your loved one.  

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2010, 7:05pm

Well, I had a blast today riding with Mark L..  We stayed pretty much together until we hit Glen Rose.  There was a pretty big front paceline, maybe 50 roadies, that kept Mark and I away for several miles, then they split in two on one of the bigger first climbs.  I stayed with the group B pack as it dwindled in size, picking off individual roadies, until I stopped at Nemo for a nature break and liquid.  Back on the bike in less than 5 minutes and soon was picking off individuals again but never caught back to the main paceline or Mark, who was really humpin it!

Bike average was just over 23 till Glen Rose, but the chipseal on the way out of town slowed me down the last leg.  A couple of those hills might have had to do with it as well.  The vk2 performed flawlessly and I had my longest ride on it to date by 20 miles.  It seems to handle the chipseal as well as anything else.  It has pretty good passive suspension but there's only so much my feet can handle regardless.

I arrived at the finish about 10 minutes off Mark, who looked like he was dying.  Being overtrained already, I didn't have an afterburner switch so I wasn't wiped at the end.  Randonneuring has given me bad short racing habits! Smiley  Bud rolled in pretty quickly afterwards looking fresh as a daisy!

20.7 average which is undoubtedly my best for a course like this.  3 hours 21 min ride time.  Max speed of 45mph.  My min/max heartbeats were fairly close together, 160 average and a high of 177.  This is a good indicator I was quite overtrained, as if the jelly legs at the start weren't enough of an indicator.

I also now have 1027 miles for July.  My longest month ever by FAR.

Mark L, thanks for being a good rabbit.  Mark M - I passed you while you were stopped - sorry I didn't catch you on the road.  Ray and Angie - it's been too long - great seeing you again.  Mike - sorry I missed you at the start!  Write up your ride report!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2010, 7:08pm

Quote from bikerteam on Jul 31st, 2010, 7:04pm:

Who was on the yellow Corsa?  You looked strong!

That was undoubtedly Mike.  Hornsmw13 himself.  He's a freaking beast, is what he is!  Good on ya for helping the guy, Ray.  We saw lots of ambulances go by today and it was quite surprising.  The last one was not too far up from goatneck hill.  A guy laying down with an oxygen mask and everything.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2010, 7:32pm

Quote from Mark on Jul 31st, 2010, 5:50pm:

That was at Goatneck hill if I recall, I think I scared the heck out of John passing by, hope he got a shot off Smiley

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2010, 7:34pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jul 31st, 2010, 7:05pm:
Well, I had a blast today riding with Mark L..  We stayed pretty much together until we hit Glen Rose.  There was a pretty big front paceline, maybe 50 roadies, that kept Mark and I away for several miles, then they split in two on one of the bigger first climbs.  I stayed with the group B pack as it dwindled in size, picking off individual roadies, until I stopped at Nemo for a nature break and liquid.  Back on the bike in less than 5 minutes and soon was picking off individuals again but never caught back to the main paceline or Mark, who was really humpin it!

Bike average was just over 23 till Glen Rose, but the chipseal on the way out of town slowed me down the last leg.  A couple of those hills might have had to do with it as well.  The vk2 performed flawlessly and I had my longest ride on it to date by 20 miles.  It seems to handle the chipseal as well as anything else.  It has pretty good passive suspension but there's only so much my feet can handle regardless.

I arrived at the finish about 10 minutes off Mark, who looked like he was dying.  Being overtrained already, I didn't have an afterburner switch so I wasn't wiped at the end.  Randonneuring has given me bad short racing habits! Smiley  Bud rolled in pretty quickly afterwards looking fresh as a daisy!

20.7 average which is undoubtedly my best for a course like this.  3 hours 21 min ride time.  Max speed of 45mph.  My min/max heartbeats were fairly close together, 160 average and a high of 177.  This is a good indicator I was quite overtrained, as if the jelly legs at the start weren't enough of an indicator.

I also now have 1027 miles for July.  My longest month ever by FAR.

Mark L, thanks for being a good rabbit.  Mark M - I passed you while you were stopped - sorry I didn't catch you on the road.  Ray and Angie - it's been too long - great seeing you again.  Mike - sorry I missed you at the start!  Write up your ride report!

One of the most memorable parts of that ride was seeing you catch up with that group of 20 riders trailing behind, simply amazing!

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2010, 7:41pm

I love that ride, it was great from start to finish. Fast at the start and the end.

The new Baron is amazing, likes to go fast and didn't mind the hills, great riding with you Greg!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you Mike, did you drop something on my 2nd pass?

I think I scared Sadowski passing by but hey you were in the middle of the road so what could I do? Smiley

Ended with a 22 average making it the 2nd fastest event I've done this year.

IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #13 - Jul 31st, 2010, 7:54pm

Quote:
I think I scared the heck out of John passing by, hope he got a shot off

You didn't scare me but you got my attention and I got a shot.  You - Greg, Bud and a few other recumbents.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
hornsmw13

rbent member

Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2010, 8:00am

This was my very first organized pay ride.  I tried to hook up with greg and mark but couldn't find them at the start which was chaotic and organized all at the same time.  I was at the front of the line when the gun went off and these people took off like a bat out of he..  anyway I ran with the first group for about 10 miles then a hill slowed me and I started riding with the second group.  I stayed with them for about 30 or so with an average over 23.  Having some fun but realizing no one wanted to run a pace line or get any kind of orginzation and another hill, I lagged behind.  Riding through Glenrose was alot of fun.  I appreciate the road closures, it's nice not to have to dodge cars for a change.  After leaving Glenrose, Mark L. passed me and said Greg was back there.  I looked for you but never saw you.  About 55 miles cramps set in and never gave up, so I had to slow down.  Going up some of those hills with a cramp in my left hamstrings was brutal.  Anyway I finally crossed the finish line with a 20.5 that took 2 hours and 23 minutes.  Decent ride for my first time, but I want to catch Mark, may never do it but it gives me something to shoot for.  I was amazed at all the ambulances and fire trucks and I hope all the wounded are healing nicely.  After the ride I realized, I stopped only once to eat an energy bar and that was on a dirt road.  I never used the organized stops.  oh well, maybe next time.  I look forward to the next ride and hope I can hang out with some of you then. Cool

mike
2009 bacchetta corsa ss
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print