Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:18pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weekend rides (Read 521 times)
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Weekend rides
Jul 12th, 2010, 12:37pm

Peggy & I (along with another LSR member-Gary Estes) rode a 253k route on Saturday (3 Lakes, 2 states,1 day). For the LSR members in the group, this route is essentially day 2(loop 2) of the 600k Denison brevets. Then on Sunday, the same trio rode a 123k-Wolfe Tracks LSR ride. The 3 lakes route travels up to Lake Murray,OK, & loops back to Denison.

Saturday. We arrived at the start with a forecast that called for 70% chance of rain. The three of us left Denison at 7:00am with a very light sprinkle, which lasted for about 5 minutes. Onto to Whitesboro, some 25+ miles to the west. We arrived at the control in really good time, only three minutes behind the legal opening of the control.

Next stop, Lake Murray(48 miles away). Lake Murray is a great place to ride. Gorgeous scenery & nice rollers. As we rolled into the control at Lake Murray , a light shower began. While we were inside the control, the rain was a little heavier, but after 15 minutes, the shower passed & we headed to Tishamingo,OK. As we rode, there was a mist, no more than that(no even enough to get the road wet). Peggy commented that it was like having our own spray mister to keep us cool. We found bicycle nirvana. As we turned off of OK 199 to OK 1- a recently paved, buttery smooth asphalt road laid in wait for us to ride. Why is that we have to go to another state to find good roads? Any way, we're on this road for 9+ miles at 25-27 mph. I went by too fast. We arrived at Tishamingo control.  

As we were in the control, the sun comes out & it's a sauna outside now. We push onto to Colbert,OK-38 miles away. Running along Lake Texoma, on great,low traffic roads. At Colbert(Subway truck stop) we grab our usual Subway to go. 14 miles to the finish across the Texoma dam(now renamed the darn too long dam). We ride across the dam in sun watching all the skiers/tubing in the water. It looked so inviting. We ride through Eisenhower state park , a few mile from the finish when I comment to Gary Estes "how did we manage to dodge the rain today?" Just then the skies opened up, 2 miles from the finish. The downpour lasted a few minutes, then the sun came out & the payment was dry.  

We finished with a total ride time of 10hrs-55 mins.-17.7 mph avg for the 258+ miles. 5,865' of climbing.

Sunday-Wolfe tracks. This 123k is an out & back ride from Princeton,TX to Wolfe City, Tx. The same trio leaves Princeton at 7:00am, & it's already hot outside. Prior to leaving , Bryan Mckenney met us int he parking lot & loaned Peggy a Garmin-305(as hers is acting up) & checked my rear brake(as I noticed on Saturday's ride it was rubbing a little). Peggy takes off & Gary & I are a just behind her. I quickly noticed I was working harder than I should. I told Peggy & Gary to ride ahead, it's jut a low point, I'll ride through it. I arrive in Celeste , a few minutes behind Peggy & Gary. We eat.drink & head off to Wolfe City-14 miles to the east. The payment on the road to Wolfe City is only payment in word a lone (it's black & vehicles can drive on it). Boulderseal is not a kind description for this stuff. Bone jarring, energy sucking,etc...Oh & there were several loose dogs that want to attack too.  

I arrive at Wolfe City really working hard. Peggy & Gary had arrived before me. As I arrived at the control, I though I would check to make sure the rear brake wasn't rubbing. Sure enough it was & had been for a while. Nothing like a little resistance training. After the fix, I was off & running back to Celeste(across the black ground-called payment). I was really feeling good. A stop for food/drink,etc.. & off to Princeton-25 miles. It was 11:00am as we left Princeton. It was getting hot(it was already humid from the previous days rain). All three of us slowed down as the heat was getting to us (especially after we rode hard the day before). We arrived back in Princeton at 1:00pm-6 hours after we started to find Daniel Schaaf & Sharon Stevens at the control(they had ridden a different route that shares the same start/finish control). I finished up with a 16.2 mph avg., 2,025' of climbing.

Total kilometers for the weekend-376k's(235 miles). We really enjoyed both days, the 3 Lakes, 2 states route is probably our new favorite route. Oklahoma roads/drivers are much better than here is Texas, sorry to say.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Weekend rides
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2010, 1:53pm

Won't get any arguments from me on that score.  Sounds like you guys had a blast!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print