Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:18pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two Lakes Brunch Ride (Read 1160 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Two Lakes Brunch Ride
Jul 10th, 2010, 2:21pm

a.k.a, the Saturday Morning Mechanical...

Ten intrepid riders braved the threatening (OK, more than threatening) morning skies to meet at WRLake just for a free breakfast...   Smiley  Thomas, John S, John F, Jay, Lynn, Carolyn, Jim Aylor met Dan S, Tony, and I...  It had been raining on and off at WRL, although we didn't get more than a few sprinkles on the way in from Rowlett.  However, Dan had a flat on the way, so we didn't arrive till just before 8AM.  But, it wasn't raining, and it looked promising to the east.

We did a casual lap CCW around the lake, receiving often bewildered grins from the packs of runners headed in the opposite direction...  Stopped at the 7-11 for a nature break, then headed out to Rowlett.  The streets were still wet, so we took things casually, regrouping as needed after random climbs, out John West, La Prada, and Duck Creek/Rowlett Rd and got out to our place about 10:15.  Jim had a front flat about 1-1/2 miles from the house, then it flatted again as he pulled into our drive.  But we didn't get any rain whatsoever the entire ride...!

Terrie had cooked up a great food spread, of eggs, sausages, hash browns, and fixins, along with bananas, muffins, orange juice, and coffee.  We consumed about all of it...  thanks, babe!  Jim had also brought along some photos from the 1990's RBENT group, which he passed around...

People also tried on the 3XL BROL jersey -- there are some concerns about the cut of this jersey, so I'm not sure where we'll go with things right now on the RBENT jersey -- the 3XL was deemed to be rather snug...

We got back on the bikes for a photo, and Jim's tire flatted for a third time...(!)  So he called his wife to pick him up, and the rest of us headed back to WRL.  By this time, the sun had come out, and things were heating up -- definitely no rain for the return trip!  At LaPrada and 635, Thomas overshifted and broke his chain, but Jay came to the rescue with a quicklink...  so it was a quick fix...

The rest of the ride was uneventful as such -- Dan and I turned around at Buckner, while the others continued back to WRL.  I finished with 70 miles for the moming, and had a good time -- thanks to all for participating!!!   I'll post pics soon....

Paul (and Terrie)

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Two Lakes Brunch Ride
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2010, 2:47pm

Thanks for having us!!!!  Tell Terrie thanks again for her hard work in the kitchen this morning!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2010, 6:00pm

Paul, thanks for your, and your wife's, hospitality and the great food. We had a nice ride. Too bad the   weather scared away some potential riders. Glad we got to meet, talk, and ride with Dan S (square_corners). Many of us would, normally, not cross paths with him, since he rides with the "fast" groups.

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2010, 6:34pm

I cound'nt say it any better.    

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2010, 7:08pm

Thanks Paul and Terry for a great brunch spread and thanks Paul for creating a great opportunity to meet some of my fellow Rbent forum members - it's great to put a face with a name. I enjoyed talking with several of you and sorry if I missed anyone. Looking forward to the next Rbent ride and hope I'll be able to make it!

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2010, 7:04am

A couple shots from the ride

Rest of the Photos are here:  http://s977.photobucket.com/albums/ae256/pbrown8js/RBENT%20brunch%20ride/

Unfortunately, Photobucket decided to load them in reverse chronological order, so go to the end and work your way backward through 'em...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print