Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 3rd, 2024, 4:28pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bad wheel setup on EZ TAD (Read 2577 times)
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Bad wheel setup on EZ TAD
Jul 6th, 2010, 9:10am

With less than 70 miles on new Kenda Kwest 100psi's both front tyres look like hell and unsafe to ride Smiley

What do you think, should a bike shop have to repair their work and replace the tyres, even though the work was done when bike owned by a friend who forked out the cash?  Smiley

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2010, 9:20am by jman »  

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Bad wheel setup on EZ TAD
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2010, 4:33pm

Take it back to that shop, for sure....

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2010, 5:35pm

I spoke with the shopmech. this afternoon and he says he will realign the tad but can't do anything for the tires because they weren't purchased there.  Smiley
I am definbately going to learn how to do the job myself after this experience. He said he has tires for sale there that he will put on for no change for the labor and free alignment. That he said he would be able to stand behind if anything was to wear out under normal wear.

I'll have to think about that one,will have to see what he wants for his tires before I decide.
Guess it's a life lesson, of course the shop techn. isn't responsible since I bought bike from someone else.
I still got a good deal on the tadpole so guess I can't complain too much, it is a nice radpole.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2010, 6:03pm

Hey Jman, when me and wife bought her sun trike i notice right off the back that the tires was not true  and took it back. They said that that the way they are. But on back was bad and the replace it with hook worm tires and it true compare the two front tires..it look as the tire was bad from thw Mfg It had bumps on the tires like the belt was ripped on the inside....I can tell the two front tires that we will replace soon.
 Later Thomas J  Smiley

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2010, 8:16pm

Thanks for the reccomendation, I was thinking about the Hookworms for replacement or Marathons. One thing for sure, the LBS isn't on the road with you when you usually notice the problems :L)) I just need a good primer for tadpole wheel allignment so then if the tires mess up, I can yell at the guy in the mirror up close and personal and not worry about being hauled to the pokie doing it to a guy in his shop :L))

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2010, 8:24pm

Hey Jman, it real simple to set the toe in on that trike. If your close by I do it for free so you can keep your money..

My last Clown ride on Monday, one of the rider was saying that a local bike shop said he need an new front derailer and chairing and i adjusted it for him and seem to work fine now... right Jim???

Later Thomas J  Smiley

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2010, 8:07am

Thanks, even if you are too far away maybe you can tutor me via email or phone. I live just south of the DFW Airport just west of 183-south one exit off 360 at Trinity Blvd.
You can call me on my cell or I can email you privately jman7659@grandecom.net Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2010, 9:51am

SmileyWell, it certainly helps when you find the pdf manual online  Smiley  
It,of course,took me a while, but at last got the front toe in set at 31" and the rear to 31 1/8.  
The setup was off by a mile, and if I had been the original owner, I would be chewing out a mechanic right about now. The front had been sitting at 31.5 and the rear at 31 ! It was bas ackwards. No wonder the right got chewed up so badly, the steraing arm right hand bolt while in the right hole wasn't centered into the hole probably because they set the front off so poorly and din't match up properly with the left.

So now I will order me some new tires probably from Hostel Shoppe and keep my eye on thbreak in of the tires in case I need to make any micro adjustments. Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2010, 11:19am

There you go, it was easy huh???  Smiley

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2010, 1:56pm

Quote from power_bent on Jul 7th, 2010, 11:19am:
There you go, it was easy huh???  Smiley

Best thing is, I am not schackled to the LBS, since he wasn't going to compensate for the ruined tires that now I am sure their incompentence caused the problem. That will end up costing them a customer of five years and 4 bikes. The tires would have been a cheep loss for them compared to all the future bikes I would have bought there. Smiley Smileynike shop.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print