Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 11:52am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trike Tires (Read 1379 times)
richardr

rbent member

Trike Tires
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:02pm

I'm looking for a trike tire 20 x 1.75 which has a max pressure of over 85psi for the back of our Greenspeed tandem.    Smiley  

I found the Schwalbe Marathon Plus which has a max pressure of 70psi.  This isn't much higher than the Tioga tires I currently use with a max pressure of 65psi.

Also does anyone have experience with regularly running tire pressures higher than the max?

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Trike Tires
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2010, 10:51pm

Supposedly the rating on the sidewall has a safety factor of 1.5, the worst tire in a batch is not supposed to blow off the rim when inflated to 1.5X the sidewall rating, so for a 70 PSI rated tire you can pump it to an actual 105 without worrying that it will blow off the rim. The only problem with that is that rim blowoff is the least likely failure mode from overinflation, but it is the most spectacular. You could take a 70 PSI rated tire to 85 or 90 if conditions warranted that kind of pressure and you didn't actually go slower because the tire wasn't rolling on the road any more but was just bouncing above it. Coast down tests are a good indication of proper inflation because low speed rollout is more affected by rolling resistance changes than by aerodynamics.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2010, 12:13pm

I have Schwalbe Marathon Racers on my Catrike. My tires are rated to 80psi, although the manufacturer's site says 85.

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2010, 12:15pm by Patti »  
  IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2010, 9:32pm

Quote from richardr on Jul 4th, 2010, 12:02pm:
I'm looking for a trike tire 20 x 1.75 which has a max pressure of over 85psi for the back of our Greenspeed tandem.    Smiley

I found the Schwalbe Marathon Plus which has a max pressure of 70psi.  This isn't much higher than the Tioga tires I currently use with a max pressure of 65psi.

Also does anyone have experience with regularly running tire pressures higher than the max?

Schwalbe Kojaks although they are 1.35, rated at 95 although I always run them at 100

IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2010, 9:29pm

I appreciate all the responses I received.  I haven't decided which tire to buy, but your input really helps.
Richard

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print