Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 9th, 2024, 1:24am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lezyne water bladder (Read 4989 times)
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Lezyne water bladder
May 17th, 2010, 7:35pm

While perusing the Bachetta site I came across a 70 Oz water bladder that fits in on a recumbent.
so I ordered one.
It is labeled for 70 Oz and is wider and shorter so it seems to fit where my 50 Oz camelbac could barely fit in my Brain Bag.  The opening is zip lock for so you can get larger blocks of ice in.
However I have had a zip lock bag before and know how hard they are to close in the cold so I am looking for that pair of pliers I used to use to close the bag.
The tube is thicker that a camelbac and much stiffer.  I don't know how that will work.  The nozzle is about twice the size of a camelbac, not sure how that will work.
Tomorrow I plan to test it and i will bring back a report.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Lezyne water bladder
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2010, 10:40pm

please do - I haven't been too happy with my 70oz camelbak bladder that is in my brain box so I'm looking for alternatives

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2010, 6:50am

I love the nalgene bladder I have.  I can't open camelbacks very well.  Easy to use and it has a magnetic hose.  I just zip-tie the magnet to my fastback's loop and then al I have to do is get the bite valve close to it and it'll connect itself with no fear of it coming loose.  But I'm always interested in the alternatives.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2010, 1:38pm

This morning I filled the bladder with ice and it just fit inside the brain bag pocket.  That part worked great.  After 5 hours I still had ice.
I am however NOT thrilled with the mouthpiece. Kinda reminds me of sucking on a corncob. It is huge and I could barely get any water thru it.  The hose was so stiff I could barely get the mouthpiece to my mouth.
Now the plan is to cut the hose and use a Camelbac extension adapter and tube.  

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2010, 2:28pm

Pretty much every recumbent I've ever owned had more weight on the rear wheel than I've liked. Water is heavy, and putting a bladder in a bag behind the seat adds to the weight on the rear wheel even more. I'm always surprised that more people don't opt for the Fastback 70LS bag that I use. It holds a 70 oz Camelbak or similar bladder, keeps the weight of the water further forward, leaves the seat bag for other stuff, and works very well.

« Last Edit: May 18th, 2010, 2:31pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2010, 2:46pm

Quote:
Fastback 70LS bag

I have one, it works fine except no insulation.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2010, 2:58pm

Hey John - If you ever decide to sell your Fastback 70LS bag I may be interested.  I might like to try it first (with my own bladder of course) if that is okay.  I just bought a Euromesh seat today and hope to get it in a week or so.  Can you use the Fastback bag with the brainbox at the same time?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2010, 3:05pm

I have never tried it but I think you can.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - May 18th, 2010, 4:40pm

Yes Tony, it'll work just fine.  John, so long as you don't overfill it, you can use an insulating sleeve with the camelbak.  I've toyed with the idea of supergluing some heat/cold reflecting material inside the fastback.  It'll be my next suggestion for terracycle.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2010, 8:18pm

Quote from jcsadowski on May 18th, 2010, 2:46pm:
I have one, it works fine except no insulation.

I've always used the Camelbak Unbottle in mine. It's well insulated.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2010, 9:06pm

Quote:

What size?

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2010, 11:09pm

I usually use my hydropack which has a nice feature of being able to seperate from the drinking tube so you don't have to fish it through the hole to take off the bladder and clean it. Also has a really nice large opening and reverses. I hate the valve though so ended up using the connector to go into a camelback hose and bite valve.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HY299E00-Hydrapak+Reversible+Reservoir+Ii .aspx?sc=FRGL
To keep it cool I have some reflectix insulation that folks use in attics it is basically two aluminum foil layers with bubblewrap in between. I made a pocket for my water bladders and found it actually kept them too cool on randos on 100+ degree days until I learned to put in just enough ice rather then filling completely with ice and then adding water.  I could actually fit the whole affair over the bladder in the fastbacks as long as I didn't fill my bladder all the way up either with camelbacks or the hydropacks.
In the hurricane for my commute it would keep the water nice and cold sitting in the parking garage all day and be ready to cool me off on the way home. Potable ice or water aren't something provided at work so I had to go that route.

Also I know some folks blow back the water so it doesn't sit in the tube but I was pretty sucessful using some mylar or aluminum sheathing on the tube to keep it cool. The black stuff that keeps it from freezing in the winter works ok but it is so much better with a reflective sleave.

Re brainbox/fastback. I used a double century fastback which I think is basically a 70l on each side along with a brainbag, aeropod or aerotrunk and they worked well together. I actually would have both bladders setup on longer rides one with plain water one with something in it but I do drink alot I don't think I ever noticed anyone carrying half the water I did.

« Last Edit: May 18th, 2010, 11:10pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - May 19th, 2010, 6:03am

Quote from jcsadowski on May 18th, 2010, 9:06pm:
Quote:

What size?

70 oz.

I have to be careful not to put too much ice in it, or I'll drink all the water and end up with just ice left.

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2010, 6:05am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #13 - May 19th, 2010, 8:53am

I have a 100 Oz Unbottle and it does not fit. I will look for a 70 Oz.
thanks

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #14 - May 20th, 2010, 3:46pm

The operation was a success.   I cut the unwieldy lezyne tube about 8 inches from the bladder and spliced in a Camelbac tube.  Camelbac makes a kit for this very purpose for people needing a longer tube on their camelbac.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print