Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 9th, 2024, 9:19am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Michelin Tire Cracking (Read 2276 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Michelin Tire Cracking
May 10th, 2010, 4:53pm

When I was getting my Carbent ready for the "Head for the Hills" ride, noticed ozone cracking in the tread and sidewalls of my Michelin Pro 3 Race tires. Some of the sidewall cracks went all the way to the reinforcing threads. These tires are only 7 months old. I've never experienced this problem with Conti, Vredistein, or Schwalbe tires. Has anyone had a similar experience with Michelin tires that are less than a year old? Probably not a big deal for riding at WRL, but I don't want to be stranded on a country road after a weak sidewall hits a rock, causing a blowout. Went ahead and replaced them with Conti 4000's.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Michelin Tire Cracking
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2010, 5:38pm

I have barely used the Pro 3's, but have more miles on the Pro 2's than all other tires combined, and they consistently performed very well. I never had any cracks.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2010, 7:19pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on May 10th, 2010, 5:38pm:
I have barely used the Pro 3's, but have more miles on the Pro 2's than all other tires combined, and they consistently performed very well. I never had any cracks.

Maybe mine came from a defective batch. I have another bike with a pair of 3-month old Pro 3's. I'll see what happens to them.

Email   IP Logged
Brad Bedell

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2010, 11:42pm

I have a pro3 on a rim that was installed before Texas time trials in 2008. Other than a lap or two out there, it wasn't used.    It's been hung in a garage for the entire time.  No cracking.      That being said, the pro3 is exceptionally thin everywhere it's not critical to save weight.  It usually only takes a mis-seating of a tire (where tube blows it off) to ruin one with my carbon rims.      The rubber on the sidewall really doesn't provide any structure to the tire, I'm not sure I'd fret too much.      

That being said, I really preferred the pro2 tires for commuting/beating around.  For a 'fast' tire, the pro3 is hard to beat.   I still have some 25mm pro2's on my Fuji and they are going strong.   Usually got about 4k miles out of them on the DF in racing type conditions.  I'm lucky to get 2k miles out of the pro3's in similar conditions.   Not because I wear them out, but they pick up enough nicks that I won't go into a race with them not being minty.  

If you need 700c pro3 tires, drop me a note.  I have red/orange/back in stock currently.   I buy around 100-150 units at a time for my ebay biz.  

IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2010, 12:40pm

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Brad Bedell

rbent member