Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:19pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peachy Keene 200k Permanent (Read 1052 times)
Bud_Bent

Peachy Keene 200k Permanent
May 8th, 2010, 8:32pm

Steve, Peggy, and I rolled out of southwest Arlington at 7:00 am this morning to ride the Peachy Keene 200k permanent. It was in chilly, in the upper 50's when we started out, with a stiff northeast wind just kept blowing harder, and became a straight east wind before long, and blew all day.

We made pretty decent time to Cleburne, but when we turned east at mile 52, the wind was pretty tough all the way to Itasca, then to Maypearl. It was then mostly a tailwind to Alvarado, and more a crosswind than anything else for most of the remaining miles.  

I love the small Johnson County county roads on this route. There are lots of trees overhanging these roads, and today, the smell of honeysuckles was everywhere. It was a great ride with great company, I really enjoyed it. For the first time, I ran 28mm wide tires on my Corsa today. I really like them; I'll do a separate review on them.

I ended up with 124.6 miles, and finished the ride in 9:52. Thanks for inviting me along, Steve and Peggy!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Peachy Keene 200k Permanent
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2010, 7:23am

<like> button....   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2010, 9:00am

Bud, it was great riding with you (as always, it was fun). The route was great. A little cyclross action for a very short period of time in Johnson/Hill county, no big deal. I love this route, typical rural route-TONS OF DOGS.  

Bud's "balloon" tires are too cool.  

Peggy & I followed up Peachy Keene on Saturday, with a 200k on Mother's day-Honey-Do route. A few sprinkles at the start, then dry the rest of the ride. The wind again was a factor. The first 100k was straight into the east/southeast, which made for some slow going, but the return trip (as this is an out & back route) ,made for much easier going.  

The previous rough chip seal on this route is starting to get worn down, & actually the route road wise, is turning into one of the better 200k routes within the N/E metro-plex area...a lot of rollers, very few  flat areas.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2010, 9:57am

That's a lot of un-roughening in a short time.  Or more likely you're just getting used to it Smiley

Sounds like everyone had a great weekend.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2010, 11:34am

Quote from aikigreg on May 10th, 2010, 9:57am:
That's a lot of un-roughening in a short time.  Or more likely you're just getting used to it Smiley

Sounds like everyone had a great weekend.

It's all mental Smiley. The 1,000k will have a lot of ups/downs. Smiley

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2010, 3:51pm

Oh I'm sure of that.  I had them on the 400k.  First 100 miles was a breeze.  The next 60 was hell.  Great until 11pm and then a bit of both, mostly down, on the way in.  Eetmochickin is coming to do the 600 - trying to get him to ride it with me.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2010, 9:52pm

I may be in for the 400 or 600k if my knee is not better soon cry. I'm taking a few weeks off to rest the knee. But that would mean that I would be riding the 1000k without even having done a 400k or 600k this year. I guess its that way we do things jumping into the deep in of the pool with out being able to swim.
                                      Peggy

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2010, 10:54pm

Still not better?  I'm so sorry, Peggy!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print