Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 2nd, 2024, 9:41pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Be careful at stop signs :-) (Read 2635 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Be careful at stop signs :-)
May 7th, 2010, 10:12am

No people, robotic lawn mowers and more importantly no recumbents were harmed during the event  Smiley
We had a nice visitor a few days ago who blatently ignored the stop sign and the 3 1/2 way stop outside. After reading Mark L's post about riding around up here again I figured I'd go ahead and post this as a reminder of the many people who driving who shouldn't be. Like people just out of rehab on their kids insurance who have an expires in 2000 texas license who are probably out there driving right now hopefully staying on FM 407 and not taking the wrong turn onto waketon road.

I live just west of a popular start for weekend and nightime rides people drive up to through the very nice countryish roads of argyle, copper canyon, bartonville and surrounding area. On the right you'll see the parking lot of downing middle school where the Flyers ride out of most days and where I am often late to or miss the ride. To the left you'll see where someone decided to drive through my yard and then the tow truck driver dragged the now 3 wheeld caravan through the rest of it. This is right where MarkL often rides by taunting the double oak police.

This it the approach where cars and 2 wheel pedal vehicles often ignore said stop sign but most realized that you need to turn.

Unfortunately for that night the drive decided not only to ignore the stop sign but ignore the fact that they had to turn. Now that I think about it they actually stole my hedge out there! It was to the right of the 3way intersection sign and it now wedged in their front right wheel well which had a collapsed wheel in it.

This is where I found my gift. The lawnbott was sleeping in his house hidden from the dangers of small town life and the cottonwood remains unharmed.

The police although only 2 driveways down took about 30 minutes to respond because they were out at a domestic disturbance in a nearby town and this was far from an emergency but the Double Oak FD was there in record time due to being right across the street and all the volunteers living within walking distance. Argyle FD and ambulance also came out to visit.

I don't think my wife would go or it but you know it would make a nice path through the yard for bicycles since otherwise we have to ride down the 1 lane street where teenagers often come flying up at 2x the speed limit paying no attention to the road and I end up riding off hte road to avoid becoming flattened. It is right where waketon road would continue if it was a lined up 4 way intersection.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Be careful at stop signs :-)
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2010, 10:08am

Looks like a spot that cries out for a steel barrier, and a MUCH bigger "T" sign....

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2010, 12:17pm

Well it'll get a steel barrier of sorts. I will be using a 6 inch in diameter concrete filled steel pipe to help hold up the replacement bush cause it gets awfully windy round here Smiley Good thing they didn't go to the other side of the tree or they would have taken out FIOS for the town probably gone right through the rose garden into the house.

I need to take an art class I'd like to put a nice rought(?) iron sculpture of a recumbent in that corner when I clean it up a bit.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2010, 12:55pm

I think a combination of 1" and 2" bar stock would work, and I know where to source some in commercial quantity. Smiley That would be a real "traffic stopper" Smiley

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2010, 2:44pm

Opus if it was solid stock secured into the ground it might work but I worry about thin solid objects and what it might do when someone like me mowing the lawn falls on it but if I put up one of those post and beam fences like they have on horse ranches if affordable I'll opt for the solid poles like the 2" bar stock with the hollow round ones around it at key places.  
The car did go through a surveyers 2" in diameter pole which had a good 1/4" thickness to it all around and it is bent nearly to the ground. She had to have just blown through that stop sign and the only thing that slowed her down was clipping the tree by the street which took in her front passenger side and then she kept going another 30-40 ft till she found the cottonwood. Maybe it was the 2" pole that bent the wheel under *shrug* unfortunately I know she is on the road right now in another vehicle still without a license and only a few tickets from Double Oak pd to show for it.

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2010, 2:46pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2010, 5:01pm

Marky Mark - wow I missed all the fireworks.  I ride by that intersection 3-6 times a week, and usually yell you name as loud as I can.  Often wondered if the cops were going to chase me down.  Looks like I have the perfect path to your front door.  When did it happen?  I rode with the Flyers Saturday and everything in the Hasting's neighboorhood was quiet as normal.  

Wow, lucky the driver missed that Cottonwood.  

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2010, 5:49pm

Yeah more then likely the cottonwood would have gone into the house so it was a good thing. Have to have a tree guy come out and look at a few trees including the one that is missing a sizable chunk of bark.
Cops these days are mostly on kings and/or simmons watching for speeders and stop sign rollers. If they are on waketon usually they are watching the waketon/chin chappel intersection and not my little intersection.  

My wife voted down the bikepath idea  Smiley

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2010, 9:49pm

Quote: