Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 9:25pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Schwalbe Duranos (Read 4642 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Schwalbe Duranos
Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2010, 8:55am

Quote:
Did they send 559's?

well they say they are, more like 554's if you ask me!  I need the bead jack to get the even the first side on, and with the thinnest tube I had something was going to break before the I got the other sidewall on.  Never had the fusion's have an issue before, I use them in 622, 571, 559, 451, and 406 ERD sizes.  This particular wheelset has only had Stelvio's, and now the performance Metro K's mounted on it, but those would go on without tools.  Seems like Bike Tires Direct has a good return policy, will avail myself I do believe.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #16 - Jun 16th, 2010, 9:07am

Quote from Kwijybow on Jun 16th, 2010, 8:55am:
Quote:
Did they send 559's?

well they say they are, more like 554's if you ask me!  I need the bead jack to get the even the first side on, and with the thinnest tube I had something was going to break before the I got the other sidewall on.  Never had the fusion's have an issue before, I use them in 622, 571, 559, 451, and 406 ERD sizes.  This particular wheelset has only had Stelvio's, and now the performance Metro K's mounted on it, but those would go on without tools.  Seems like Bike Tires Direct has a good return policy, will avail myself I do believe.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Oh, I thought you were running 571's. That's pretty strange; I haven't found anything to be that tight on the Velocity rims I've used. Now with Sun DS2's, it's another story.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2010, 10:20am

Back in late 2006 I build up a pair of 32 spoke, 559 velocity fusion rims with a Schmidt Generator hub, and Ultegra rear, and mounted Stelvio's on them.  I used them throughout 2007 for many long rando rides, but finally moved towards the lighter/faster original 571's with either continental gp4000, or michelin pro race 2's and battery lights for my rando riding when I became convinced the faster ride was worth the loss in robustness.  I started using the 559 wheelset on the Strada and now the Corsa for commuting, and switched to the even wider Metro K's last year after my last round of Stelvio's literally blew apart on me.  I also have pretty much quit using the schmidt hub also, and  have gotten a spare front with regular hub that I now mostly use.  The Velocity Fusions with 32 spokes have been completely bomb-proof, just need to settle on a new @28 width tire for them.

so that's the history.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print