Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 9th, 2024, 11:25pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mountain Bike or Road bike Derrailuer (Read 895 times)
kingjason

rbent member

Mountain Bike or Road bike Derrailuer
Apr 21st, 2010, 4:42pm

So there I was, laying on the ground looking at the slightly overcast sky today at lunch. You know I whats sad is that I have been down in the same spot on my Bacchetta but thought I had worked it out. Its an uphill, off camber area of the trail that has water gently flowing accross it out of a drain tunnel. During the rainy season it gathers just a hair of moss there and is very slick. I even thought to myself how slick it was and thought nahhhhh I have done it before. Reflecting back I think the last time I tried it uphill I had the same result around this time of year. Soooo anyways my V3 decided it was mad at me and wouldnt shift above 4-5 on the rear derrailluer. It was a gentle powerslide down I thought as I was laughing all the way down but I noticed a good grind on my X5. So I cant remember what the difference is in the mountianbike VS the roadbike long cage X9. Does it matter???? I cant lie I did want  to put an X9 back there anyways but the 5 was working fairly well and didnt want to mess with it. LOL

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Mountain Bike or Road bike Derrailuer
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2010, 7:07pm

Sorry about that those moss slicks aren't even walkable sometimes, I've been down on 'em twice over the years when I thought it was going to be a piece of cake, worse than ice.  To your derailleur question, I almost always would vote for the usefulness of the MTB derailleur.  They handle the wider gear range I like to put on my recumbents, and I've never noticed anything but better shifting out of them.  --Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 7:33am

You might try calling RANS and asking for Carl...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 5:57pm

For recumbent use a MTB derailler is better than a road derailler even if they have the same takeup range. MTB mechs have stronger springs in the takeup arm to help keep the chain from bouncing off the cogs when descending bumpy trails at high speed. This is good for the longer chain runs we get on recumbents.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
kingjason

rbent member

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 8:37pm

Sweet they are 65 delivered off of ebay. Ordering now  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print