Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:15pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Live Long and Prosper 200k Permanent (Read 553 times)
Bud_Bent

Live Long and Prosper 200k Permanent
Mar 27th, 2010, 11:01pm

Steve, Peggy, Nelson, and I left Prosper at 8:00 am this morning to ride Nelson's Live Long and Prosper 200k permanent. This route is an out and back that goes from Prosper to Sanger, then on west to Forestburg, then back. Like many of these long rides do, this one turned into another epic adventure.

The 20+ mph SSW winds at the beginning were already tough. And the further west we got, the more the wind swung to the west, and the harder it blew. By the time we got to I-35, the wind was almost from straight west, and before we reached Forestburg, we were hitting gusts that I think had to be near 50 mph. It was the toughest winds I've ever ridden in.

It's steady elevation gain from Sanger to Forestburg. When the road headed straight west, climbing against the wind was very tough. But the stretches where the road turned more north were even tougher. The big gusting crosswinds made it tough just staying on the road in many places. Besides being the toughest wind I think I've ever faced, a couple of other factors made it even tougher. Once you get very far west of Sanger, it's rolling hills and grasslands, without many trees to stop the wind. My HED wheels didn't help, either. Don't get me wrong. I love my HED's. But aero wheels are probably not the best choice on days where you run into 50 mph wind gusts.

We made a stop at the Valero in Bolivar, then rode on toward Forestburg. I fell back on this stretch. I knew I still had a long ways to get back, so was trying not to blow myself up too much. I was trying to ride my own pace, keep my heart rate below 150 on the flats and lesser hills, and keep it under 160 on any of the hills. But spinning slowly up the hills made the crosswinds even tougher. It's hard to keep from getting blown over by these kinds of winds when you're climbing at 5 mph. Topping one hill, I hit such a wind gust that I had to stop and put a foot down to keep from being blown over. Six miles before Forestburg, my average speed for the entire ride up to that point fell to under 12 mph, and I knew things were getting tough.

Leaving Forestburg for the return trip, it was a lot different ride. The big tail wind and mostly downhill riding made for a much faster return. But there are stretches where you are riding more south than east, and the crosswinds were truly tough on those stretches. I felt bad for Peggy. We were all getting blown around, but she was really getting the worst of it. She's light enough that she has trouble getting blown around by the wind anyway, and she was running aero wheels today also, and when I would get blown near the center of the road, she'd be blown all the way into the oncoming lane.

We were all glad to make the final turn east at around mile 120, knowing it would mostly be just a tailwind for the remaining miles. I ended up with 126.1 miles. We finished in 10:27, not exactly a blistering time, but it was all I had on this day under these conditions. Thanks for having me along, y'all! It was another adventure we're unlikely to soon forget.

« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2010, 7:23am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Live Long and Prosper 200k Permanent
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2010, 7:03am

Yesterday was a blast!  Lterally!  It was good fun though, I wouldn't minded the front holding off for a couple more hours, but still averaging in the mid 20's for the leg bag from Forestburg to Bolivar without pedaling was pretty neat!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2010, 10:02am

Yes, another epic ride. Personally, I've never ridden in the sustained(or gusty) winds like yesterday's conditions presented. The ride out to Forrestburg was OK until we left an unscheduled stop in Bolivar. Looking at the flags while at the stop(almost being ripped off the flag post, wind holwing out of the west).  

The 25 miles into a 30-40 westerly wind(toward Forrestburg) was SLOW(a lot of 9-10 mph stretches) , & at times(scary,being tossed around like a rag doll with cars/trucks blowing by on 455. And the vacuum created by large trucks added to the excitement). That stretch took forever, and the hills added to the theme of the day ("Against the wind"-Bob Seger song that Bud heard playing at the stop in Bolivar). I agree with Bud, there were gusts out in the open that had to approach 50mph.

You know it's windy when the water along the side of the road has whitecaps. It was an bike handling exercise. The ride back almost made up for the slow ride into Forrestburg. Coming back from Forrestburg was cool, just like an easy spin class & easy 32mph speed. We arrived in Bolivar approx.50+ mins after we left (even with the hill climbing), kept going to Prosper.  

The last 6-7 miles into Prosper on FM 1385 is typical nasty Texas boulder seal, add more wicked crosswinds ,& tired riders, yes we were all glad to finish this ride. My Garmin read 126.06 miles, with a 15.5 mph avg.  

Afterward, we head to the Subway in Prosper and devoured our food. We all earned it. It was great to see/ride old friends. We really enjoyed the company during the ride & afterward at Subway.

Thanks for a great day. I was glad to be done with this ride, thanks to our friend... the WIND.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2010, 1:38pm

Sounds like fun, but I'm kindof glad that I was painting instead  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print