Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:17pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cruzbike MWB QuasiLow MBB First Ride (Read 11498 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Re: Cruzbike MWB QuasiLow MBB First Ride
Reply #15 - Mar 4th, 2010, 8:38am

That looks like it is coming along nicely.  
Someday I'm going to see if I can unbraze the dropouts on my pugsley fork or at least strip the paint on the dropouts to see if it is brazed. Then I could swap in some rear dropouts and do something similar to what you have or what I see on the atombike plans I have. I think I could move the bottom bracket alot tighter to the tire and maybe the bike a little lower.
That'll be Cruzbike MWB Quasilow MBB V2 without a suspension. Unless you call 559x2" tires a suspension  Wink

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2010, 8:38am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #16 - Mar 16th, 2010, 6:48am

OK, Mark I see that you rode this at the Catrike rally thingy...OK, let's see some pics!  Hows the ride?  Let's get some close ups!  Any thoughts or suggestions!?

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Mar 16th, 2010, 9:47am

OK, Mark I see that you rode this at the Catrike rally thingy...OK, let's see some pics!  Hows the ride?  Let's get some close ups!  Any thoughts or suggestions!?  

I can't say how it rode, but it certainly looked great.

IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #18 - Mar 16th, 2010, 10:29am

Suggestions? Make sure you properly tighten your stem and well probably everything else too but oopsies. Oh and fix your brakes before a group ride. I almost sorta endoed over that sidewinder when it sorta jacknifed going down the hill from sonic but it's better then rolling over it like I would have earlier in the day before my brake adjustment  Smiley Also good I put on the pedals I had which I can instantly get out of yet can't accidently pull out of.

Later I was riding slowly (5mph?) along talking with one of the many catrikes out there and up a slight hill all of a sudden I thought I was going down. Handlebar went left the bottom bracket went right and it made it look from my perspective in the moment  the bike was collapsing at the head tube. I stopped and looked all up and down the frame and nothing. Ended up being a loose stem which I tightened down and no further issues. Might have been from jumping off all those curbs, of course I think most of those I ended up taking on the hurricane  Smiley

I went through the pics posted on the catrike board http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n110/vadn1/Texas%20Catrike%20Rally/
and found these

and the opposite of markl's weight loss thread  Smiley

To think I was 240 recently.

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2010, 10:32am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #19 - Mar 16th, 2010, 4:32pm

The newest addition.

Still missing a couple things to take it on the road safely but it spins up nicely up in the air. Hoping it levels out a couple hills or helps me ride a little when I'm back on the road. Since well I can't just push harder to go I have to get off and walk if it gets difficult  Sad

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2010, 5:44pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #20 - Mar 21st, 2010, 6:31pm

Took a ride on the electrified cruzbike today and I'm still wondering after all the years of wondering if it counts as riding.
Here is a cell phone video of the drive in action. It actually drops completely off the wheel when it is off and then rotates into in when turned on.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7yGzeBVYjA
Ride stats
~8 miles overall including a few laps around a parking lot.
61 watts from the batteries
17mph avg
So just over 120 watts per hour from the batteries when riding on average which is alot however I don't know the efficiency of the whole setup but it did help quite a bit on some inclines and into the heavy wind. It certainly counts as exercise I was pretty worn out when I got home but I am way more out of shape then I was 9 months ago.  But I don't know if I can count it as riding especially as miles on bikejournal  undecided

« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2010, 7:02pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #21 - Mar 21st, 2010, 8:51pm

Wow, is that thing gonna eat some tires?

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #22 - Mar 21st, 2010, 9:52pm

Usually friction drives use too much pressure on the tire at all times or a roller that has too much friction enhancements to it which chew up the tire. I'm hoping to avoid both.
The motor right now has a bike tube wrapped around it and even without it is perfectly smooth and would slip if it tried to apply too much pressure. I know of two others using similar progressive pressure designs that I based mine on and they have not had any issues yet of excess tire wear but from their miles don't ride near as much as I used to and hope to again.  

Actually except for one schwalbe marathon plus tire I had on my fuji xtracycle I can't recall ever having a tire wear out before it was destroyed by other means  Sad Time will tell though.  

The drive fully comes off the bike in about a minute turning it back into a regular bike. I'm using it only as a power assist unit only to get me back into my commute and level out a few of the tougher hills that my HR shoots up uncomfortably if I ride it solo. It should also help with a few tough sections which I have to sprint to survive otherwise the drive will never touch the tire. All which should minimize tire impact and maximize my time out getting some exercise.  
There are many options out there but after reviewing them all against what I needed this seemed not only the best match overall but the cheapest too.  Cheaper still if you take into account I"m using the lithium batteries I got for my lawnmower to power it and the controller and motor I could put in my remote control truck to run it. It's practically free  Wink

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:48am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #23 - Mar 22nd, 2010, 2:29pm

OK, sounds good.

On another note, I'm still working on mine.  I'm planning to put my GEBE on it, but right now I have to figure out the actual bike dimentions.  I think I built the frame too short, and now I have to figure out if I want to cut it apart again and start over or work it out somehow as is.  I'm also having trouble figuring out the seat mounts, as I have to scratch build them...lots of drawing and thinking on this one...OK mostly:  Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2010, 2:29pm by JimFPU »  

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #24 - Apr 5th, 2010, 7:01am

Well, I've mostly started over.  Once I put the front end in the stand and looked, it was not straight... Angry

I cut another donor fork, and have decided to use an uncut rear triangle off a 20' kids MTB.  BB already installed and true to the rear dropouts that way.  The fork will be welded in place when I determine the seat height and head tube angle.  I may make this frame out of round tube also, as I have enough to do it if I take my time  Roll Eyes

I still intend to add rear suspension, although I wanted full.  I just couldn't find the right fork, or a way to mod the ones I have.  Pics to follow...

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2010, 7:14am by JimFPU »  

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #25 - Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:01pm

Well the friction drive worked very well but I found that as good a platform the cruzbike is for the motor I just can't get into the cruzbike even lowered so I had to scratch the friction drive since it won't go on the hurricane.
Plan B was to use a hub motor in the front fork but I'm really concerned about the front fork holding up with the torque of even a lightweight motor. It is a stout steel fork and I have torque arms so it won't spin out but a steel 406 fork with magura hydro rim mounts isn't anything I can pickup anywhere so I really don't want to risk it.  
So it's onto plan c.
I'm testing a poormans version of the stoke monkey setup which uses a hub motor driving the left chainring of a tandem crank. I'm testing it out on the cruzbike to work out any issues and once it is good to go I'll transfer it over to the hurricane.
Here is the current prototype mounting arrangement. I need a chain tensioner and a stiffer mount but it worked pretty well riding it around the parking lot at the school until the chain eventually would pop off when I really gunned it.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print