Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:11pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
SEEBRING UPDATE - Anyone Have Status (Read 3619 times)
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

SEEBRING UPDATE - Anyone Have Status
Feb 13th, 2010, 11:48am

I checked the Bacchetta forum, and 6 hours into the race, I don't see any updates????

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: SEEBRING UPDATE - Anyone Have Status
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2010, 7:13am

Christine Graham has been doing updates on her facebook page. It looks like Peggy stopped at 297 miles. Steve was still going. Kent had 420. Nothing on Greg.  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000438562526#!/profile.php?v=wall& id=100000438562526

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2010, 7:14am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2010, 7:45am

Peggy called around 7:15 this morning.  Everyone is safe and had a great ride.  Here is a basic summary:

temperatures 41, into the 30's at night
winds 15-20 (headwind all the way on the longer, outer loop)
Peggy - 295 miles, 2nd place in her division
Steve - 359 miles - 1st place in his division.

Peggy was battling a sinus infection and had 3 asthma attacks.  She was on pace to RAAM qualify until the very end.  She had to stop a mere 3.5 hours from the end.  The cold wind made it too hard to breath.  In contrast, the super strong Larry Graham had the same sinus infection and he couldn't continue when it got dark and the temperatures dropped.  Considering the circumstances, Peggy was incredible!

Greg, Shellene, Kent and the others will have to provide their details, though Peggy did say that Shellene turned a lot of heads at Sebring.  

We're all very proud of everyone.  Each and everyone of you are super athletes!!!

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2010, 12:28pm

Congrats to all!!!   Let's hope they didn't have to deal with condition like THIS  (Sunday AM in Rowlett):

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2010, 12:29pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2010, 2:43pm

The wind chills were in the 20's at
the start & for the first 100 miles.

The wind was from the WNW at 20+.
Shellene ended up with 389 miles,
Mark Metcalfe 414 miles, Kent 427,
John Schlitter 467,Greg & Daniel 200+.

Rich Pinto mentioned to me that the  
DNF rate was> 70%. Unbelievable.
At the end, there were such few  
people on the track, it was like an
individual TT. There were 12 people  
running at the end , half were bents.

Way to go all Rbenters!!!!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2010, 3:27pm

My goal was to attempt to RAAM qualify 400 miles, I would need to hold a 17MPH for 24 hours., After 100 miles on the long loop and the 3 early track laps, I had a 17.83MPH, then we had to ride a 11.5 mile lap over and over until 6PM when we would be moved on to the Sebring track for the rest of the night. As we moved to the track I still had a 17.57MPH and just under 200 miles, It was very cold and windy all day. As we moved to the track, the temp. was hovering around 32 degrees high humidity and windy. I came into pits I was having one of the worst Asama attack I think I have ever had. After sitting by a heater and using my inhaler 3 times I was able to go back out with with a dust mask on to help keep the cold air out of my lungs, but within about 30 miles with little power my average had dropped to 16.5 and my lung would not fill with air. After my 3 Asama attacks, I called it a day, I thought I had 300 miles only to find out I had miss calculate and only had 295. I would had put in a couple of more laps if I had only known.  
I has so proud of Steve and all are Rbent riders, Great showing , Dan for helping Greg and coming down to crew for Greg.  

As Greg said last year I would highly recommend this event. Huge thank you to Mark & Linda Metcalfe, our "roomies". This was a great experience. I love my new CA2.0.

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2010, 7:14pm

Great job, Sebring racers!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2010, 8:02pm

Bud, you should have been there. Birdie Mamma is a trip. All of our knees are fried. We look like 90 yr old walking.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2010, 10:59pm

Quote from Pedalin` Peggy on Feb 14th, 2010, 3:27pm:

I came into pits I was having one of the worst Asama attack I think I have ever had. After sitting by a heater and using my inhaler 3 times I was able to go back out with with a dust mask on to help keep the cold air out of my lungs, but within about 30 miles with little power my average had dropped to 16.5 and my lung would not fill with air. After my 3 Asama attacks, I called it a day,

Peggy, the inside of my mouth is raw all  over. It feels like I burned it. Something really different was going on so I don't think your asthma problem was a problem with 'you'. Your performance was fabulous. And Shellene!! Woah!!!! Way to go!  

I dropped out about 35 minutes before the end because my fingers had quit working for the 3rd time (as in they wouldn't move) and I was starting to really worry about it. I still don't have feeling back in the fingertips. My goal was 400 miles and JS caught me the lap after the 400 milelap and I told him. His response was "What are you doing still out here!?" I said I was looking for the gravy, but seriously slowed down from there and just tried to cruise at about 100W the rest of the race. Plus with as many course blinkies missing, it was getting hard to stay on the course. That first S after the first 2 lefts turns lost the first blinkie and I headed for what was the second, thinking it was the first. "Wow! Interesting track surface here."  Marilyn told me it was hard-packed sand as she had run off-course 4 times and admitted to crushing two of the blinkies. :^)

Great riding with the rbent crew. Great job, everyone.

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2010, 10:59pm by goatstick »  

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2010, 6:18pm

I crewed for Greg and Sandy Earl from Portland.  Both did a great job.  Greg had some stomach problems and wasn't able to keep up with his calories.  He all but collapsed around 2 a.m. hurling what little was in his stomach on various patches of concrete around the raceway.  He tried to get back out several times but his core temperature had dropped too much and he couldn't get rid of the chill or get his stomach to settle enough to eat.  He still finished first in his age group because he stuck it out as long as he did while everyone else was quitting.  He ended up with 208 miles.  Sandy was an unrelenting beast.  It was definitely her day.  She could have topped 450 if the weather was cooperative.  The temperatures that night tell you nothing!  It was so humid there was fog in places.  I had on six layers of clothes and a sleeping bag and still had to walk around on cramped feet all night to keep from freezing to death!  Still, Sandy managed a record 415 miles!!!  Her willpower and determination were an incredible example.  I don't think she could tell you what day of the week it was when she got off the bike but she was able to understand when I yelled out the speed she needed to make her goal.  Now that's focus.  Congratulations to everyone who rode and pushed themselves so hard.  You're all amazing!  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2010, 8:04pm

258, actually, but still quite shy of my ride last year, in which I spent just as much time off the bike, for different reasons.  All I'll say is that I wasn't feeling right the day before the race or the morning of, nearly tossing my breakfast after 10 minutes on the trainer to warm up at an easy spin before getting outside to the race.  Had stomach rouble all day and just couldn't fight it after a while.  Otherwise, I planned my race and raced my plan - Even when my plan had to change last minute due to the insane weather.  My body just wasn't as committed as my head.  Ironically enough, my feet were fine, which was the big problem last year.  I hit the 200 mile mark nearly 3 hours earlier than last year, and as the 12 hour time elapsed, had only ten miles fewer than Dennis Johnson, who is a tough tough racer.    

The DFW members shined, and the rbent crew especially.  Everyone gave it their all except I expect, Shellene, who was bouncing around at the awards ceremony like she hadn't even been on the bike.  I suspect she was playing it very safe and conservative with her knee while riding and could have given Sandy a real run for the record.

The REAL story though was Dan the Hurricane Crew Chief!  Despite having volunteered for this out of the blue, and taking on a record attempt with Sandy and even I think never having seen an ultra race, he really shined and was in his element.  He was selfless, tireless, and is the fastest learner I have ever seen, even giving a perfect handoff when we'd never practiced it.  He even got me to try and get back on the bike several times. Probably the best thing was jury rigging my lights for Sandy when her eyes were giving out and she was going off track.  If anyone outside of rbent gets wind that he's this good, people will be calling him from everywhere to fly him out and crew.  He was obviously taking mental notes the car ride back.  I'd like to think I've made a good friend if I haven't worn out my welcome!  

I think if we do this next year, Dan, I'm shipping everything and we're flying out, though I still had a lot of fun on the drive.

Photos in the photo forum.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2010, 8:29pm

Thanks Greg.  And what's 50 miles amongst friends? Smiley Now that I've had a few hours of sleep, I'm thinking I might actually be crazy enough to do it again next year but flying or at least having one other crew member would be nice.  It was really like two days for me.  One 39 hour day, nine or so hours of sleep and then a 50 hour day.  It all went by pretty quick but it was a great experience.  Anyone who hasn't been should definitely go. Smiley

Once again for the reading impared:
Greg: Smiley
Sandy: Smiley
Me: Smiley

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2010, 8:40pm

I am really impressed with all of the rbent and LSR riders!  Every one of you is tough as nails.  Peggy, you were having an awesome day on the bike and I was so sorry to hear about the asthma attacks.  Steve was having a good start of the day and I was lucky enough to get to ride near him for a while.  That was probably the best part of the day, being able to ride with a friend.

I also had the great pleasure of being able to ride with Sandy for a few minutes on the first 100 miles, and for a few minutes on the track at night.  Wow, she was riding GREAT!  Sadly, I had to keep stopping for nature breaks, so I didn't get to stay with her for very long either time.  However, when we were riding together during the long out and back, I mentioned my knee fears and Sandy's sage advice was "Well, your knees are going to hurt.  Just ride."  So, more on that later.....

At the turn around point (50 miles), a gentleman walked up to me and said "I'm doing Bacchetta support, what can I do for you?"  Oh, man - that was such a nice thing!  I handed him my poker chip (you have to turn it in to get credit for the first 100 miles) and asked him to please drop it in the bucket which was surrounded by cyclists.  His offer of assistance enabled me to simply turn my bike around and head back on the return trip.

The return trip was all fun since we had earned a great tail wind.  It felt all downhill and fast!

Once we made it to the short afternoon loop, I began seeing Kent Polk and John S flying past me.  That was a ton of fun.  John was always saying something as he passed and would always lift my spirits though I couldn't get any intelligible comments out myself.  I was busy working and didn't have any brain cells to spare apparently.  It was neat to see them drafting or soloing it out on the course at such a fast pace.  

During these short loops, I began thinking about how best to ride on the track at night.  I had a serious problem with my bag of supplies not being at the track.  But that wonderful gentleman with the Bacchetta support team had me thinking that they might, just maybe, have time to grab my bag for me.  So while riding and making plans for the night, I had a flat on the rear wheel.  Dang!  What luck.  I’m no speed demon at changing tires, so it was nice that one of the race officials stopped and visited with me while I changed my flat.  The official let me know we were just about to be allowed onto the track, and that made my day because I was tired of the cars on the highway.

Finally, we made it onto the track.  I stopped to put on more clothes, and at the same time found the Bacchetta crew and asked if someone might be able to fetch my bag.  Without a definite answer, I went on to ride some laps, and after dark had fallen I stopped and there, waiting for me was my bag of supplies!  Food and clothes and water.  The Bacchetta crew were lifesavers!  They also provided me with 2 caffeine pills during the night, and let me stand in front of their heater when I stopped to add more layers.  Those are some very kind and generous folks to have been out there in the cold.

On the night track, my knee started hurting pretty badly, so I had to back off.  But, because of Sandy, I knew that I was not going to stop riding.  It had been a good day so far, and I was still having fun despite the pain.  The weather was no worse than Texas, and I had gone to Sebring to test myself and my ability to handle solo riding, so I decided to go the entire 24 hrs unless the knee was on the point of injury.

The knee lasted ok with the reduced force, and at the very last hour, Mark Metcalf finally was where I could see him.  On my final lap, I kept him in sight, glad to have the company on the near deserted track.  Not knowing how much time I had left, and being tired, I decided I had enough mileage to stop, so I ended a little bit too soon.    

I’m off the bike this week to let the swelling in the knee go down.  It is not injured like I injured it last year, but I am probably not going to ride the Texas Hill Country because of the knee trouble.  That is a little depressing, but I’ll get over it since maybe  I can crew for Vickie or someone at Texas Hill Country, and I’ll be able to ride with these great recumbent riders at Hell Week!

Oh yeah, the only reason that I looked well energized at the awards ceremonies is because I hadn’t had a chance to wind down from the race yet!  Sharon and Daniel can attest to my suitable zombie behavior on the drive home Sunday!
Shellene

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2010, 9:13pm

Shellene, you were a picture of energy and fun, and everyone picked up on it.  We're all standing behind you and your bright future in cycling.

I'm considering trying to do the HC600 solo, since I failed to qualify at Sebring, but this would necesitate me coming out of retirement Smiley.  I can't decide if I'm ready and Sebring was a fluke, or what.  I've been pretty solid on the bike lately otherwise.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2010, 9:49pm

Quote from shellenefoster on Feb 17th, 2010, 8:40pm:

Once we made it to the short afternoon loop, I began seeing Kent Polk and John S flying past me.  That was a ton of fun.  John was always saying something as he passed and would always lift my spirits though I couldn't get any intelligible comments out myself.  I was busy working and didn't have any brain cells to spare apparently.  It was neat to see them drafting or soloing it out on the course at such a fast pace.  

I think every time we passed you I was so amazed at how strong you looked I didn't know what to say. I was probably breathing too hard trying to stay up with JS anyway. :^) You just looked fabulous out there. It really was neat watching JS up close though. What sportsmanship. When the early race pacelines started lagging or people started getting lax at pulling the line, he'd gently organize it and encourage us to brace it back up and keep rotating. He always had something great to say with gentle words of encouragement.  

Quote:

I'm off the bike this week to let the swelling in the knee go down.  It is not injured like I injured it last year, but I am probably not going to ride the Texas Hill Country because of the knee trouble.  That is a little depressing, but I'll get over it since maybe  I can crew for Vickie or someone at Texas Hill Country, and I'll be able to ride with these great recumbent riders at Hell Week!

I really wish I could make it back in time for the HC600 or at least Hell Week. Can't get a ride back until the end of Spring break for tx schools so far. Hope you have fun. And Greg! Have a great ride. Wish I could help you. TTTT 2010!!! See if we can do a LOT better, ok? Kick that thing way up next time.

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2010, 9:49pm by goatstick »  

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print