Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:22am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crowley Cricket Crunch 158k Permanent (Read 403 times)
Bud_Bent

Crowley Cricket Crunch 158k Permanent
Dec 13th, 2009, 9:42pm

At 8:00 am this morning, Greg and I left the Shell station at Crowley Road and Main Street in Crowley to ride my Crowley Cricket Crunch 158k permanent. This route goes through Burleson and southeast to Grandview for the second control at mile 32. From there, it's south 4 miles, then west all the way to Blum at mile 51 for the next control. It then heads northeast to Cleburne for the next control at mile 75, then north back to Crowley.

It was 46 degrees with heavy fog when we left. That made it pretty chilly, and kept my sunglasses covered with mist for the first miles. And an unforeseen problem turned out to be all the mud on the roads. With all the wet weather we've had, so all the muddy fields, with trucks dragging that mud onto the roads, there was more mud on the county roads than I've ever seen. The morning fog made it really slimy in places, and it really trashed our bikes, and made riding dicey here and there.

But the sun finally made it out, and things dried up nicely. We had a nice tailwind coming back north, and it was a great ride. We rode from my house to the ride start, so I ended up with 103.3 miles. On the bike average was 15.7, and total time was 7:42. Thanks for joining me, Greg!

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2009, 9:43pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Crowley Cricket Crunch 158k Permanent
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2009, 10:05am

This is a tougher route than it looks on first glance, even without the fog.  The air was so wet I had to give up on my glasses and just follow BUd.   I couldn't see traffic coming up from behind but otherwise no big deal.  The route is hilly in the beginning which slows you down some, and then there are lots of turns to make you scrub speed.  That's the thing that really adds up and causing you to work a lot harder than you think you should.  I like that.   Not to mention my carbent now has a protective coating of mud to keep it from getting scratched!  Smiley

You should ride this route since it's VERY low traffic and almost all good roads.  Very scenic also.  Baby goats everywhere and even saw a buffalo and an emu farm.  It's a bit early but Grandview has a great local-only butcher called Burgundy about a 1/4 from the 1st control that makes some very nice grass-fed beef burgers.  

The end of the route is more downhill than uphill, but you'd never know since there are some quad-burning climbs.  One dude on a mountain bike eluded us for a lot longer than I'd care to mention.  After a month off the bike I feel a lot better today than I thought I would - just a little sore in the behind and quads.  

The change in temperature was certainly interesting.  Freezing fingers in the morning to sunblock in the afternoon.  I felt like I was auditioning for a gentleman's club the way the clothes kept coming on and off.  Ended up being just positively gorgeous.  I hope the sun makes another appearance this weekend.  Thanks for setting up the ride on short notice, Bud!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print